Avid Mechanical Discs... Stripped Rotor Bolt... Help getting it off?

P2k@Van

Guest
Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...

Art.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:38:20 GMT, "p2k@van" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
>close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...
>
>Art.

Use a dremel tool and a cut off wheel to cut a slot.

"p2k@van" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
> close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...
>
> Art.

A few ideas spring to mind.

1) Go buy a Dremel (or a Dremel clone, which are very cheap in the UK) and cut the slot using the
mini cut-off wheels. This will give a much nicer slot than a hacksaw ever will. Make sure you cut
the slot as deep as you can, and that it fits the screwdriver you're going to use like a glove.
The Dremel is a fine aid to bicycle repair in general IMHO, money well spent (I bought a clone
Dremel for 15 UKP ~20USD?)

2) I've sometimes managed to shift knackered allen head bolts using a slightly larger Torx
type tool.

3) If you've totally lost the head of the bolt, then a stud extractor will be your only option, but
I'm not sure they are available this small.

If it's stuck in there with dirt/muck, then apply plenty of lube to the area beforehand to help the
thread on its way.

Andy Chequer.

p2k@van wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
> close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...

do a search for a product called an "E-Z-Out"