Avid Mechanical Discs... Stripped Rotor Bolt... Help getting it off?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by [email protected], Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
    close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...

    Art.

    Tags:

  2. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:38:20 GMT, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
    >close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...
    >
    >Art.

    Use a dremel tool and a cut off wheel to cut a slot.

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
    > close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...
    >
    > Art.

    A few ideas spring to mind.

    1) Go buy a Dremel (or a Dremel clone, which are very cheap in the UK) and cut the slot using the
    mini cut-off wheels. This will give a much nicer slot than a hacksaw ever will. Make sure you cut
    the slot as deep as you can, and that it fits the screwdriver you're going to use like a glove.
    The Dremel is a fine aid to bicycle repair in general IMHO, money well spent (I bought a clone
    Dremel for 15 UKP ~20USD?)

    2) I've sometimes managed to shift knackered allen head bolts using a slightly larger Torx
    type tool.

    3) If you've totally lost the head of the bolt, then a stud extractor will be your only option, but
    I'm not sure they are available this small.

    If it's stuck in there with dirt/muck, then apply plenty of lube to the area beforehand to help the
    thread on its way.

    Andy Chequer.

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > Any suggestions on how to get it off? Was thinking about hacksawing a slot on it... but its way to
    > close to the rotor, dont want to scratch it...

    do a search for a product called an "E-Z-Out"