Avid mechanical road disc brakes

Eric

Guest
I just got the Cannondale cross bike with these brakes. A couple of questions. Are the stock pads
good enough to keep until they wear out? I only have an hour on the bike and am wondering what the
average range of break in time is needed for the brakes to work their best. Can anyone coomment on
their performance when broken in?

>I just got the Cannondale cross bike with these brakes. A couple of questions. Are the stock pads
>good enough to keep until they wear out?

I've got these on my commuter bike and so far I have no complaints with the brakes of the
stock pads.

>I only have an hour on the bike and am wondering what the average range of break in time is needed
>for the brakes to work their best. Can anyone coomment on their performance when broken in?

Wet or dry, performance has been excellent. Smooth predictable braking. Plenty of stopping power for
me, I ride on pavement only.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I just got the Cannondale cross bike with these brakes. A couple of questions. Are the stock pads
> good enough to keep until they wear out? I only have an hour on the bike and am wondering what the
> average range of break in time is needed for the brakes to work their best. Can anyone coomment on
> their performance when broken in?

Didn't notice much "break-in" time on mine. I followed the manufacturers advice of dragging the
brake slightly for a mile or so on first fitting - after that I didn't notice much change in
performance.

Peformance of the original pad seems good - life expectancy not so.

Replacement (EBC Green) pads have lasted twice as long (and are still going) with no perceptible
performance reduction.

Andrew Webster

[email protected] (Andrew=A0Webster) wrote:

<snip>
>Replacement (EBC Green) pads have lasted twice as long (and are still going) with no perceptible
>performance reduction.

>Andrew Webster

Tell me more about these EBC pads. I'm considering Avid mech's on my Reaper.

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >Replacement (EBC Green) pads have lasted twice as long (and are still going) with no perceptible
> >performance reduction.
>
> >Andrew Webster
>
> Tell me more about these EBC pads. I'm considering Avid mech's on my Reaper.

<cut>

There's not a lot to say really. Except that they are cheaper in the US (what isn't?). Work well,
good life expectancy (using green compound), all round better than the originals.

http://www.universalcycles.com/x_bdacc.htm ($12.99)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005663 (£12.99)

EBC don't give much away at http://www.ebcbrakesuk.com/Assets/MTBfitments.pdf

They don't come with the funny shaped spring retainer clip, so you need to save that (I bought a new
one, but refitted the old one anyway).

Apparently the pad design for Avid mechanicals changed around 2001 - so it is worth specifying that
you want pads for the "new" design brakes, just in case there is a problem (Kool Stop specify
different pads for pre and post-2001, don't think EBC specify - but the ones I got are certainly
compatible with the new design).

Hope this helps

Andrew Webster