Avid Mechs

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Is there a front a rear or are they both the same? I know it sounds
dumb, but I've only had hayes hydros before and I can't see a difference
between front and rear..

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a front a rear or are they both the same? I know it sounds dumb,
> but I've only had hayes hydros before and I can't see a difference between
> front and rear..
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

The only thing different is the mounting brackets/adapters.

The calipers are the same.

RE/
>Is there a front a rear or are they both the same? I know it sounds
>dumb, but I've only had hayes hydros before and I can't see a difference
>between front and rear..

Only the bridge that goes between the caliper and the bike differs. It even
goes further: just a different bridge for different rotor size...

One of Avid's several strengths, IMHO.
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>Is there a front a rear or are they both the same? I know it sounds
>>dumb, but I've only had hayes hydros before and I can't see a difference
>>between front and rear..

> Only the bridge that goes between the caliper and the bike differs. It even
> goes further: just a different bridge for different rotor size...
>
> One of Avid's several strengths, IMHO.

I figured it out. I had the bridge backwards. Duh!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> I figured it out. I had the bridge backwards. Duh!

Engineer's worst nightmare.....

Gary

GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> I figured it out. I had the bridge backwards. Duh!

> Engineer's worst nightmare.....
>
> Gary

Yep, engineers, screw it up, and THEN read the instructions! :)

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Zilla wrote:
> GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>>> I figured it out. I had the bridge backwards. Duh!

>> Engineer's worst nightmare.....
>>
>> Gary

> Yep, engineers, screw it up, and THEN read the instructions! :)

but but but.....we wrote the instructions, too!

Gary (documents-r-us)

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Only the bridge that goes between the caliper and the bike differs. It
> even
> goes further: just a different bridge for different rotor size...
>
> One of Avid's several strengths, IMHO.
> --
> PeteCresswell

That is actually true of any modern manufacurer. There is an international
standard. Ya ya I know there is more than one BUT that is why there are
diff adaptors or "bridges" as some like to call them. The calipers do
follow the standard.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
> I figured it out. I had the bridge backwards. Duh!

Ya it happens and I have done that too, especially when I went to 8" rotors.

GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zilla wrote:
>> GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Engineer's worst nightmare.....
>>>
>>> Gary

>> Yep, engineers, screw it up, and THEN read the instructions! :)

> but but but.....we wrote the instructions, too!
>
> Gary (documents-r-us)

Yes, that's AFTER we screwed it up too...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> If only Manitou would get on board.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

But if you are running a 6" rotor you don't even NEED an adapter! Whith
every other major fork maker you ALWAYS need an adapter no matter what size
rotor.

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Not exactly. Some manufactuers just happen to make their brakes fit
> Manitou and then adapt them to other forks. Other manufaturers don't
> even make brakes that will fit Manitou forks or oyu have to buy a
> special calipter to fit Manitou post mounts. If it weren't for Manitou
> there would be no need for adapters at all, everyone could just make
> their brakes fit the IS mounts like Magura does.

Truth to that until you get to 8" rotors then you would still need the
adapters.

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Again, if there was one standard, manufaturers could make their calipers
> to work without adapters. You would but an 8" brake it is would just
> fit, no need to go back and find the right adaptor. It may happen
> someday, there will probably be a way to mount them introduced that no
> one has thought of yet, probably by Shimano, and everyone will have to
> adopt it.

True!