Avocet tires on non-hook bead rims?

Frank Krygowski

Guest
I commute on an ancient (1972) road bike with non-hook-bead
rims, specifically, the wider Weinmann Concave rims. I think
the rim model number is A-129.

The rims are 27 inch size. Obviously, good quality tires 27"
tires are not as common as they once were.

A friend gave me an Avocet slick (the older generation) in
the proper size. Avocets are my favorite tire, but I can't
recall if they demand hook bead rims.

FWIW, it's held for about 15 miles, but I'd prefer to avoid
rude surprises. Anyone know if the tire's supposed to work
on these rims?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot
com. Substitute cc dot ysu dot edu]

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> I commute on an ancient (1972) road bike with non-hook-
> bead rims, specifically, the wider Weinmann Concave rims.
> I think the rim model number is A-129.

> The rims are 27 inch size. Obviously, good quality tires
> 27" tires are not as common as they once were.

> A friend gave me an Avocet slick (the older generation) in
> the proper size. Avocets are my favorite tire, but I can't
> recall if they demand hook bead rims.

> FWIW, it's held for about 15 miles, but I'd prefer to
> avoid rude surprises. Anyone know if the tire's supposed
> to work on these rims?

Should be OK with if it's a wire bead tire. My wife's bike
has those rims, and we use Michelin 27 x 1-1/4" wire bead
tires and don't push the pressure too high.

Art Harris