Avoiding bike friends

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I've pretty much had it with meet ups. I have friends who ask if I am riding. As much as I don't want to ride with them for reasons, I can't say no as they just might show up where I ride as we many times ride the same area/courses.

So a guy text me today asking if I was riding tomorrow. Yes, I am doing 46 on course X I tell him. He asks what time so I explain since I thought I would be alone, I had no time schedule but wanted to ride a little early, for me anyway.

He asks what time so I said MAYBE about 9 am, so I did not place myself on a schedule in his mind. He says OK he might see me there.

So I ask if he is going or not. I surely don't want to have to follow a ride schedule if he is not planning to go. He says he doesn't know, just let him know if I go and MAYBE HE MIGHT MEET ME THERE, RUN INTO ME, OR MAYBE NOT RIDE AT ALL. :rolleyes:

WTH!!!! I'm going to ride and I certainly won't call him for sure. Same guy several times has had me place myself on a schedule and not shown up. Fine if I have plans to meet several others and have to show up on a schedule anyway but for someone who is a gamble? I don't think so! Most times I get a text after my ride saying sorry he didn't show up but he stayed out late night drinking with his beer buddies. WTF even bother me then?

So I have been able to avoid him over the last 5 years or so ha ha! But he text me again today and I really don't like this stupid game so I won't even notify him.

While we are on the subject, another guy asked me several times if I was going to ride. I think so, what time he asks. OK, 9 am. He says he will meet me there. Doesn't show, no call. Then 3 or 4 hours after my ride, he texts sorry didn't make it, not feeling good today. Good thing I didn't wait for his ass. He did this twice.

The last time same guy says he wants to meet me down the trail. So he asks what time will I be at point B? I don't know, I guess about 10 am.

So he says he will meet us at point B at 10. So 3 of us meet at point A and it seems it's taking a bit longer than I expected so we pick up the pace hoping to get there in time. We get there, no show, no call, no text.

We just left without him after 5 minutes as I was still thinking about last time. Then hours later he sends a text apologizing.

Last time he sent a text asking what time I was heading out. I told him I was not placing myself on a schedule since he screwed me already. So I said I am riding but have no idea and no plans. I'll get there when I get there and if I see him, then I see him. If not, oh well, not putting myself on a schedule for people who don't show.

He actually seemed kind of surprised that I responded that way. But hey, I get tired of the sheot!

Tomorrow, I'll just go ride and won't answer any texts or calls. My buddy can do that gambling and show up if he likes and hope he runs into me at a mystery time ha ha!

Over my 33 years of cycling, I can say I've had 3 ride partners that actually show up when and where they say. Too many flakes! ;)

It happens. I tried to post a ride meet several times locally with no bites after one ride we did get together. Either they didn’t like me or something for them to never come back. One of the riders on the first meet liked to talk too much while pedaling.......who talks conversation while pedaling at 20 mph! You can barely hear yourself think. It is okay to say a few words or even state something like next stop sign lets break.....but this was full on conversation!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
It happens. I tried to post a ride meet several times locally with no bites after one ride we did get together. Either they didn’t like me or something for them to never come back. One of the riders on the first meet liked to talk too much while pedaling.......who talks conversation while pedaling at 20 mph! You can barely hear yourself think. It is okay to say a few words or even state something like next stop sign lets break.....but this was full on conversation!

Yeah, that sucks! I had a guy on a bent drafting me last weekend. I told him I was on a solo mission but he didn't seem to consider my wishes. Then he started talking away behind me. I answered a couple then said I don't talk when I'm applying a little effort. Finally after about 9 miles I dropped him off my wheel but he did have a nice conversation with himself because I totally ignored everything he said after I told him I wasn't talking.

Another woman, actually pretty strong joined Gina and I on a ride. Her hubby too. I am almost always at the front setting the pace on a 40 mile ride. She started asking Gina and out other lady friend a bunch of questions about recipes etc. WTH! She was driving me, Gina, and Aimee nuts as we don't speak while riding other than verbal alerts etc.

Driving me nuts holding a decent pace of 17 or so. She would not stop so I lifted the pace a couple MPH till she couldn't talk anymore and started breathing hard ha ha! Took half a mile or so but she finally shut up! :D

Reactions: Germanrazor