Avoiding Punctures And Inflating Inner Tubes

cowlover

May 25, 2015
Hey I'm a casual road cyclist and got myself a low cost road bike a couple of years ago (Jamis satellite) and I'm happy with it but I wanted to ask about how much to inflate tyres ie the PSI. Does it really need to be 100psi? And if lower will this make punctures more likely? How do you get up to 100 psi? Do you need a special pump because with a hand pump I can only manage about 60psi. Many thanks.

When I am biking, I am not much concerned with flat tire unlike when I am driving a car. Bikes that have a flat tire can be walked home or to the vulcanizing shop for repair. But then again, I also hate to have a flat tire especially when I am biking for exercise. My mood will be ruined and it's really a hassle to have the flat tire repaired.

I'm probably the wrong guy to comment but I am of the belief that you should keep your tires inflated to the max recommendation. If the sidewall says 100 psi then you should get it there or close to it. I have ridden over 20,000 road miles and (knock on wood) have never had a flat tire. Never. It's only a matter of time till I do but there must be some method to the madness. I do try to be aware of where I am riding and avoiding broken glass and debris. I check my pressure weekly and always top off the tires to make sure they are full. Get yourself a good floor pump.

doctorold said:
I'm probably the wrong guy to comment but I am of the belief that you should keep your tires inflated to the max recommendation. If the sidewall says 100 psi then you should get it there or close to it. I have ridden over 20,000 road miles and (knock on wood) have never had a flat tire. Never. It's only a matter of time till I do but there must be some method to the madness. I do try to be aware of where I am riding and avoiding broken glass and debris. I check my pressure weekly and always top off the tires to make sure they are full. Get yourself a good floor pump.
Ok thanks, its just that I seem to be getting more lately, I'll try and get them up to 100psi with my car foot pump. Do old tyres have an effect on punctures as well because I get more punctures in the front wheel which has an older tyre?

If they say 100-120 psi, inflating around 110 is safe ish and they won't get below minimum the next day.

Always clean tires and remove glass and stones after a flat.

Try patching tubes its easy. ;)

Never inflate more then the max psi.

Yes "old" tires with deep cuts will collect stones in the cuts and these will pierce the tube.