Awaiting my new Cervelo R2.5

edelweiB

Aug 7, 2004
It has been one week since I was sized up for a Cervelo R2.5 at Cycles BiKyle in Bryn Mawr, PA (Philadeplhia Area). And I am growing more and more anxious as my 18AUG delivery/build date approaches.

It will be a huge improvement over the chromoly Bianchi that I rode in college (CU-Boulder) and will be a huge improvement over the Schwinn Homegrown Limited Hardtail MTB that I have been training on since graduation (I can not wait to get back on the road again!).

Is anyone in the forum currently riding an R2.5. Let me know your thoughts.

i ain't got one. I've never ridden a carbon bike more than 1 mile :(

Have you ridden one yet, and, if so, what's it like?

edelweiB said:
It has been one week since I was sized up for a Cervelo R2.5 at Cycles BiKyle in Bryn Mawr, PA (Philadeplhia Area). And I am growing more and more anxious as my 18AUG delivery/build date approaches.

It will be a huge improvement over the chromoly Bianchi that I rode in college (CU-Boulder) and will be a huge improvement over the Schwinn Homegrown Limited Hardtail MTB that I have been training on since graduation (I can not wait to get back on the road again!).

Lucky *******. Nice bike. Let me know how it rides...

Dave

edelweiB said:

Check http://www.roadbikereview.com/2004,Road,Bike/Cervelo/PRD_290800_5668crx.aspx

I myself have a custom built $3033 Cervelo Soloist Team (Dura Ace, Ksyrium SSC SL, FSA Superlight Crank). People say my bike is beautiful. Rides is great, but it is aluminum.

I would like to try a carbon fiber bike, but currently two road bikes are good enough for me. I'm dreaming of getting a carbon fiber trainer bike, fitting it with an SRM DuraAce crank, and ultegra / shimano 540 equipment. I would like either a Trek, Giant, or Cervelo carbon fiber frame.

How much are you paying for the R2.5 ?

I bought the R2.5 as a frameset (Frame, Easton EC90SL fork, Cervelo post, headset) for 2000.00 and put a full DA10 kit on it along with an easton ec70 OS stem and an easton ec90 Equipe OS bar, Fizik Alliante Ti saddle, DA pedals, Flight Deck. I started off with a training wheelset (DA hubs, Fir rims, DT revo spokes). I'll probably pick up some Ksirium SSC SLs for racing down the line.

The complete bike was just over 5000.00 after tax.

A good chunk of change, but well worth it.

The Soloist Team also grabbed my eye but I really wanted carbon. I am thinking about picking up a 2005 Cervelo P3 in the spring, it is a such a hot TT bike.

edelweiB said:
I bought the R2.5 as a frameset (Frame, Easton EC90SL fork, Cervelo post, headset) for 2000.00
The Soloist Team also grabbed my eye but I really wanted carbon. I am thinking about picking up a 2005 Cervelo P3 in the spring, it is a such a hot TT bike.

Hey - post a review of your bike after 1 month of riding! I can't wait what you have to say about it in Roadbikereview.com I posted a review of my Cervelo Soloist Team bike there.

Also, my local Cervelo dealer gave me the same price quote as your dealer ($2000). If I buy the R2.5, I'll only get the frame. I'll buy an Easton EC90SLX fork and an EC90 seatpost.

Is the Cervelo seatpost any good ? Is it light ?

Somehow, sometimes I think I don't need a carbon fiber lightweight bike. My Cervelo Soloist is 17.0 lbs -- and a 15 lb carbon fiber bike won't make much difference. In fact, I hit a higher top speed (30.7 mph) on my trainer bike, a 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 (105, R535 wheels, 20.4 lbs).

I just got mine last week from the same place. I was fitted by the numbers and they ordered me a size 54. I rode it today, and not 100% sure if the choice between the 54 and 56 was correct, but it does seem to fit. I'll assume the shop knows what they are doing. The bike is tight geometry but very predictible. Ride is smooth and plenty stiff for me. What size did you end up with and was was your opinion on the shops fitting?
Paul

edelweiB said:

I called Kyle on Wednesday the 18th (the approx due date that he gave me), and they had not built my wheels yet! I was so bumbed. Also, Kyle wanted to be there when I picked it up and I think he went out of town on Thursday until next week.

So I am hoping that it will be ready for pick up on Wednesday the 25th (Wed and Fri are the only days during the week that I could pick it up since they stay open until 1900 on those days and I work and live South Jersey.)

Did you end up with the 05 model or the 04, apparently Cervelo starting shipping the 05 model at the begining of august? The only difference is the decal set. Check out cervelo.com, they posted pictures of the '05 models. I am hoping for the 04 because it doesn't say CSC on it (which isn't a huge deal, because I may end up removing some decals down the line anyway).

When where you fitted? (Kyle saw me on 31JUL)

I was fitted late July.
The frame I got was a latest and greatest but in the older CSC decals. The one with the "e". You can get either or but the new decals are available late August. They actually have been shipping the newer lighter design late June. I know its the latest since they the seatpost is a 31.6 not 27.2.
What size did you get ? I built my frame so I didn't have to wait. I work in South Jersey and it made sense to buy it from Kyle. I wasn't sure which size to go with so, instead of just ordering one and still not being sure, I had them make the call.
Paul
edelweiB said:
I called Kyle on Wednesday the 18th (the approx due date that he gave me), and they had not built my wheels yet! I was so bumbed. Also, Kyle wanted to be there when I picked it up and I think he went out of town on Thursday until next week.

So I am hoping that it will be ready for pick up on Wednesday the 25th (Wed and Fri are the only days during the week that I could pick it up since they stay open until 1900 on those days and I work and live South Jersey.)

Did you end up with the 05 model or the 04, apparently Cervelo starting shipping the 05 model at the begining of august? The only difference is the decal set. Check out cervelo.com, they posted pictures of the '05 models. I am hoping for the 04 because it doesn't say CSC on it (which isn't a huge deal, because I may end up removing some decals down the line anyway).

When where you fitted? (Kyle saw me on 31JUL)

I was kinda hoping he orderd me a 56 as I'm around 5'10, but shorter in the torso than legs. A 56 would have helped getting my bars at the right height, but maybe the weight distribution would have been off. I didn't know what I got till it arrived. I'm to go back once I get things set the way "I" think they should be, and he will then set me up his way.

edelweiB said:
I am not sure what size Kyle chose for me, I'm hoping he picked a 58 (I'm 6'0)

hi edelweiB,
how is your R2.5 after about a year? i have about to get one myself.
A reviewer from www.roadbikereview.com, said that his bottom bracket had unbonded from the down tube?
this makes me worry!