Awful cracking sound

mickeord

Aug 6, 2003
In recent times there has been a terrible noise (crack) from my bike. It comes from the area around the bottom bracket/cranks. I have changed the chain recently, taken off the pedals, crank and bottom bracket and given them a proper lubrication. But the sound is still there.

It occurs only when I press hard on the pedals, or when standing up in the slopes. Could it come from the cranks? My bike is a Pinarello F4:13 (MY 2006) and the crank is labeled "Pinarello" but I suppose they come from Campagnolo. Other components are a hybrid of Campa Chour and Centaur.

This is not my bike, but it´s the same bike as mine:

pinarello_f4_13_1.jpg

Best regards,
Michael, Stockholm, Sweden

Just a couple of question. Did you completely clean any foreign substances from the bottom bracket area and did you torque the bottom bracket and crank to specs?

I´ve cleaned as good as I could. Torque... maybe a little extra pounds... Do you think that is the problem? I´m too strong/unsensitive? ;)

I would recommend getting the proper torque specs., disassemble and re-assemble with a torque wrench.
Over tightening could be the problem.

mickeord said:
In recent times there has been a terrible noise (crack) from my bike. It comes from the area around the bottom bracket/cranks. I have changed the chain recently, taken off the pedals, crank and bottom bracket and given them a proper lubrication. But the sound is still there.

It occurs only when I press hard on the pedals, or when standing up in the slopes. Could it come from the cranks? My bike is a Pinarello F4:13 (MY 2006) and the crank is labeled "Pinarello" but I suppose they come from Campagnolo. Other components are a hybrid of Campa Chour and Centaur.

This is not my bike, but it´s the same bike as mine:

pinarello_f4_13_1.jpg

Best regards,
Michael, Stockholm, Sweden

Cranks are a Taiwanese product, not from Campagnolo. Could be rear wheel, freehub, cogset, pedal, chainrings, chainring bolts...anything.

Clearly something moving under load. But like Peter said above it could be coming from else where. Noises tend to resonate around in the frame and could come from anywhere.

Try tightening up your QRs, check chain ring bolts, and when you pull everything to bits check for signs of rubbing on the contact faces of everything!

I had a similar problem after changing a bottom bracket. Bit of locktight between the bearings and BB shaft fixed the issue (must have been a small tolerance mismatch resulting in movement under load).

Agree the noise could be coming from anywhere. IME, every noise tends to sound like BB, including headset clicking. To diagnose, you might try to reproduce the noise while the bike is stationary. Easiest way to do this is to push the front end to a wall and press on pedals alternately using your feet or hands.

If the noise is a "one per rev" creak or pop, look for places the frame flexes alternately under heavy load. My mystery creak turned out to be coming from the two piece rear dropouts, caused by hidden corrosion under the flathead screws. Good luck.