Awful

bartsie

Jun 20, 2011
0.jpg

I don't even know who to blame. One guy signals and then immediately moves over after a half-assed head check even though the road is obviously not clear. The other guy is riding with overlapped wheels and continues to slowly pass a guy that's clearly signaled he's going to move over.

I'm not sure either, however taking off like that seems like an admission/indication of guilt.

Originally Posted by bartsie
I'm not sure either, however taking off like that seems like an admission/indication of guilt.
Probably didn't even know he did it.

The passing rider clearly slowed to let the other guy cut in. Too bad he cut in too far, too fast.

In a fred paceline the nice guys get hurt. The safest and most educational course of action would have been for the passer to continue passing and shove the turkey back into line.

I agree with oldbobcat. This is exactly why I prefer to ride alone when possible. I do go on group rides and have had near misses on several occasions with someone nearly clipping my front wheel because she decided to go around me in a sharp turn instead of slowing down and holding her line like the rest of us were doing. Twice in a row she nearly clipped my front wheel because she cut the turn sharp. Too many amateurs thinking they are professional. That's the problem.

Quote by OBC:
"In a fred paceline the nice guys get hurt."

Truth.

Fast freds are the most dangerous riders in any race. The fill the ambulances of charity rides and on club rides they are the cause of the Stupid Prize award.

Too many guys think riding on the road is racing.

Training rides are governed by the state traffic laws.

If you believe that the front rider "changed" lanes, he is at fault.

If you believe in safe following distances, the back rider is at fault.

---

I fell down today. Rolled over a little hill. On the way down there was some type of spill. Back wheel decided to slip off to the side. A brused arm. A few bits needing adjustment.

Accidents happen.

An old Guy said:
Too many guys think riding on the road is racing.
There is this century ride in the spring that is pretty popular in the Puget Sound. Early in the ride there is a very nice descent that has a very tight turn at the bottom. Every year I have done the ride there has been at least three riders in the ditch because they overcooked the corner. This year, when I went by, two guys were laying in the road having just crashed. I tend to stay away from guys who look sketchy.

I almost hit the deck today. While I was cruising to work, doing about 20 in the bike lane with a line of parked cars to my right, another rider popped out from between the cars, apparently without looking. He swerved back and apologized and no contact was made, but it was a pretty unpleasant surprise. I think I'm going to start wearing a helmet on my short commute, though.

I'm finding that these days nobody is paying attention--motorists, pedestrians, pets, wild animals, and bicyclists alike.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I almost hit the deck today. While I was cruising to work, doing about 20 in the bike lane with a line of parked cars to my right,
How do you do that and feel even remotely safe? Bike lanes scare the **** out of me.

Quote by OBC:
"I think I'm going to start wearing a helmet on my short commute, though."

Probably a good call to wear one. We both know this: If you're rolling along at 20 MPH with no helmet you're in the Death Zone. Impacts at that speed can be fatal.

The disclaimer: The above was NOT a lecture. I don't GAFF who does or does not wear a helmet. Personal choice and all that.

"I'm finding that these days nobody is paying attention--motorists, pedestrians, pets, wild animals, and bicyclists alike."

Well...while we now know the Secret Service is asleep at the wheel along with Da Prez, I'm pretty sure the NSA is still monitoring your credit card purchases of those faux Zipp Chincom carbon wheels.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Probably a good call to wear one. We both know this: If you're rolling along at 20 MPH with no helmet you're in the Death Zone. Impacts at that speed can be fatal.
The disclaimer: The above was NOT a lecture. I don't GAFF who does or does not wear a helmet. Personal choice and all that.
No problem, bob. My previous choice to go helmet-less has been ill-advised.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I almost hit the deck today. While I was cruising to work, doing about 20 in the bike lane with a line of parked cars to my right, another rider popped out from between the cars, apparently without looking. He swerved back and apologized and no contact was made, but it was a pretty unpleasant surprise. I think I'm going to start wearing a helmet on my short commute, though.

I'm finding that these days nobody is paying attention--motorists, pedestrians, pets, wild animals, and bicyclists alike.

Bike lane huh?
big-smile.png
Maybe using some lights too would be a good idea.
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Originally Posted by Volnix

Bike lane huh?
big-smile.png
Maybe using some lights too would be a good idea.
big-smile.png
Maybe something like this would have caught his attention, eh?

I pretty much ride alone and don't regret it one bit. Sure, it can get lonely at times but I want to enjoy a peaceful and safe ride, and not have to worry about what the other rider is doing. But yeah, that's not particularly enjoyable.

Communication. What's wrong with verbalizing what you intend to do? When I ride with one or more other riders, we talk about communicating before we even start. We also set guidelines to follow so there aren't any questions about rider "protocol", if you will. We determine things like who are the fast riders, who are the tail end charlies, and what kind of pace we will ride, so nobody gets let in the dust, and what signals to use to warn of potential hazards for riders in the back of the group. Even with one other rider, the same things apply. A lot of potential dangers can be avoided with simple communication.

^ I agree 100% Actually here in the US or at least in our area, we must give an audible when passing and what not to alert other riders. Many usually do not check their blind spots at all!