AXA HR bottle dynamo connector

charles

Guest
My Brompton's bottle dynamo, an AXA hr, has 4 brass tabs to which the
wiring is
attached via a four-holed plastic bar; the wires are simply poked
through the holes and then the plug is pushed onto the 4 tabs.

I get intermittent contact, resolved by patting the plastic bar, which

lasts an unknown length of time.

Should I

1- chuck the plastic bar and try and solder direct to the tabs?
2- chuck the plastic bar and try and solder connetors onto the wires
and push those onto the tabs
3- ram the plastic plug on so hard that I am sure it is munging into
the twisted wires that I somehow got through the holes, but am worried
I will bust something?

Comments and suggestions, please!
--
Charles

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:03:08 +0100, charles <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>1- chuck the plastic bar and try and solder direct to the tabs?
>2- chuck the plastic bar and try and solder connetors onto the wires
>and push those onto the tabs
>3- ram the plastic plug on so hard that I am sure it is munging into
>the twisted wires that I somehow got through the holes, but am worried
>I will bust something?

Or:

4- see if the tabs are a standard size for crimp spades, and if so,
use them instead.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? said the following on 29/07/2007 22:31:

> 4- see if the tabs are a standard size for crimp spades, and if so,
> use them instead.

....and crimp connectors can be soldered if you don't have a proper crimp
tool, and by 'proper' I don't mean those cheap plier-type things that
Draper and everyone else make :)

(Probably 2.8mm crimps, by the way!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

wrote:

>My Brompton's bottle dynamo, an AXA hr, has 4 brass tabs to which the
>wiring is
>attached via a four-holed plastic bar; the wires are simply poked
>through the holes and then the plug is pushed onto the 4 tabs.
>
>I get intermittent contact, resolved by patting the plastic bar, which
>
>lasts an unknown length of time.
>
>Should I
>
>1- chuck the plastic bar and try and solder direct to the tabs?

I did this. I think I also combined the wires for the front and rear
lights. A dab of silicone grease (not silicone rubber), and it's been
working like a charm for the past 4 years.

Tim

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) wrote:

> 4- see if the tabs are a standard size for crimp spades, and if so,
> use them instead.

They are a bit thicker. My solution was to slightly spread the entry
of the crimp spades with the tip of a corkscrew, then shove them on with a
bit of force. Has been working well for about a year on two bikes.

m.

Marianne Promberger said the following on 30/07/2007 10:42:

> They are a bit thicker. My solution was to slightly spread the entry
> of the crimp spades with the tip of a corkscrew, then shove them on with a
> bit of force. Has been working well for about a year on two bikes.

Shudders!!!!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In message <[email protected]>
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> 4- see if the tabs are a standard size for crimp spades, and if so,
> use them instead.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Richard and Ted of AW cycles Ltd, 23 Abbey Parade,Merton, Surrey 020
8542 2534 did just that. Perfect service.
--
Charles