Axel: From bolt-on to quick-release

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam Rush, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Rush

Adam Rush Guest

Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if that
    has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    Maillard hub.

Don't grease the tubers, Adam Rush

Tags:

2. On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:41:06 +0000, Adam Rush wrote:

> Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    > I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if that
    > has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    > Maillard hub.

No problem at all. Well, I am not certain of the thread size on that hub (Sheldon Brown would know),
    but you should be able to find a hollow axle to fit.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

3. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

Adam Rush writes:

> Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    > I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if that
    > has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    > Maillard hub.

Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on the skating rink. Paulsen Axel would turn
    in his grave if he only knew.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

4. Grenouil

Grenouil Guest

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Adam Rush writes:
    >
    > > Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap
    the axel in
    > > a hub from bolt-on to QR? I've got an old low-flange,
    front
    > > Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard",
    if that has
    > > any relevance) which I would just love to see converted
    or replaced
    > > to match my rear QR Maillard hub.
    >
    > Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on
    the skating
    > rink. Paulsen Axel would turn in his grave if he only
    knew.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected]

If we have "breaks", why can't we have "axels"?................

5. [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on the skating rink. Paulsen Axel would turn
    > in his grave if he only knew.
    >

Assuming he could get his back glide/forward step done first.

- Brian "Skate Canada is on tv" Huntley

6. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Adam Rush writes:
    >
    > > Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    > > I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if
    > > that has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    > > Maillard hub.
    >
    > Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on the skating rink. Paulsen Axel would turn
    >

Gee...

Adam, solid axles and QR axles are commonly different threads and diameters. However, your Maillard
    hub uses 9x1mm thread for both bolt-on and QR applications:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html#axles

Hey, Jobst- what kind of bearings is Paulsen Axel turning on? Cartridge or loose balls? :)

Jeff

7. [email protected] schreef ...

> Hey, Jobst- what kind of bearings is Paulsen Axel turning on? Cartridge or loose balls? :)

Seems like friction bearings to me. The kind that only works at temperatures below freezing ;-)

--
    Regards, Marten

8. Adam Rush wrote:

> Maillard hub.

Yes, but you should ensure the bearings are adjusted so they're *very slightly* slack before the QR
    is fastened. A QR puts the axle into compression.

9. Adam Rush

Adam Rush Guest

> > Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    > > I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if
    > > that has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    > > Maillard hub.
    >
    > No problem at all. Well, I am not certain of the thread size on that hub (Sheldon Brown would
    > know), but you should be able to find a hollow axle to fit.

What dimension of threaddom does "thread size" refer to? I guess I assumed that i'd have to replace
    the axle, cones, and lock nuts to do this--making the characteristics of the previous axel
    irrelevant. Are you refering to the diameter of shaft through the hub?

Forgive me for my methods, but I took an adjustable wrench and clamped it around the axle. When I
    did that with a rear QR, it appeared 10mm wide. With the front bolt-on axle (the one in question),
    it came to about 7mm.

10. Adam Rush

Adam Rush Guest

> > Maillard hub.
    >
    >

My humblest apologies, for I have recently moved to a country in which everybody and their sister
    are named "Axel," and Nokia sells more innertubes than cellphones.

11. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:19:40 +0000, Adam Rush wrote:

>> No problem at all. Well, I am not certain of the thread size on that hub (Sheldon Brown would
    >> know), but you should be able to find a hollow axle to fit.
    >
    > What dimension of threaddom does "thread size" refer to? I guess I assumed that i'd have to
    > replace the axle, cones, and lock nuts to do this--making the characteristics of the previous axel
    > irrelevant. Are you refering to the diameter of shaft through the hub?

I would imagine that the axle diameter would be the same on most hubs, but this is a French hub, so
    I would worry about the thread pitch being different from your average axle. I don't know for sure,
    but French headsets, bottom brackets, and even freewheel threads were just enough different from the
    usual standards to cause trouble.

> Forgive me for my methods, but I took an adjustable wrench and clamped it around the axle. When I
    > did that with a rear QR, it appeared 10mm wide. With the front bolt-on axle (the one in question),
    > it came to about 7mm.

Front might be different anyway. I just checked; I have mostly Campy hubs, and their front axles
    measure about 8.5 mm width. I have an old, very old, FB hub. It's front axle measured 8.0mm thick. 7
    is very thin. 10mm for the rear is standard.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

12. Waal

Waal Guest

"Adam Rush" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    > > > I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if
    > > > that has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear
    > > > QR Maillard hub.
    > >
    > > Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on the skating rink. Paulsen Axel would
    > > turn in his grave if he only knew.
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt [email protected]
    >
    > My humblest apologies, for I have recently moved to a country in which everybody and their sister
    > are named "Axel," and Nokia sells more innertubes than cellphones.

Mr. Axel Paulsen. ! The name Axel or AKSEL

Aksel (danish) = Axle (english)( or Shaft or Spindle)

Regards Michael

13. Adam Rush

Adam Rush Guest

> >> No problem at all. Well, I am not certain of the thread size on that hub (Sheldon Brown would
    > >> know), but you should be able to find a hollow axle to fit.
    > > What dimension of threaddom does "thread size" refer to? I guess I assumed that i'd have to
    > > replace the axle, cones, and lock nuts to do this--making the characteristics of the previous
    > > axel irrelevant. Are you refering to the diameter of shaft through the hub?
    > I would imagine that the axle diameter would be the same on most hubs, but this is a French hub,
    > so I would worry about the thread pitch being different from your average axle. I don't know for
    > sure, but French headsets, bottom brackets, and even freewheel threads were just enough different
    > from the usual standards to cause trouble.

Okay, as a QR axel, how is the thread size relevant if I go to the parts aisle and pull off an axle
    complete with cones, locknuts, and washers? Do I have to reuse the cones that came with this hub's
    bolt-on axle for compatibility reasons or are these things standard enough that I can just trust the
    box-o-axle to be compatible in all respects?

> > Forgive me for my methods, but I took an adjustable wrench and clamped it around the axle. When
    > > I did that with a rear QR, it appeared 10mm wide. With the front bolt-on axle (the one in
    > > question), it came to about 7mm.
    > Front might be different anyway. I just checked; I have mostly Campy hubs, and their front axles
    > measure about 8.5 mm width. I have an old, very old, FB hub. It's front axle measured 8.0mm thick.
    > 7 is very thin. 10mm for the rear is standard.

This was very, very imprecise--It's probably the same as one of yours.

14. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:18:02 +0000, Adam Rush wrote:

> Okay, as a QR axel,

To appease Jobst: It's axle.

> how is the thread size relevant if I go to the parts aisle and pull off an axle complete with
    >cones, locknuts, and washers? Do I have to reuse the cones that came with this hub's bolt-on axle
    >for compatibility reasons or are these things standard enough that I can just trust the box-o-axle
    >to be compatible in all respects?

I was considering re-using the cones. Maybe a new set would work, maybe not. As I have said, old
    French stuff has some compatibility issues. I really recommend you check Sheldon Brown's website.

I have used Campy cones and axles with off-brand hub shells, and it has been OK, but that was a rear
    wheel. Front may work, and may not. You have to try it out.

> This was very, very imprecise--It's probably the same as one of yours.

I see no reason to believe that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
    -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

15. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

> On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:41:06 +0000, Adam Rush wrote:
    >>Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    >>I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if that
    >>has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    >>Maillard hub.

David L. Johnson wrote:
    > No problem at all. Well, I am not certain of the thread size on that hub (Sheldon Brown would
    > know), but you should be able to find a hollow axle to fit.
    >
    The nutted axle thread is m8x1. A standard Q/R front is
    m9x1. The original Maillard/Atom/Normandy axle set is still available.
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/helico.html

Current JoYou and KK axle sets interchange and cost a lot less. Cammpagnolo's second-rank fronts (
    Gran Sport, Nuovo Tipo, Athena) also fit but are not at all cheap.

I believe you could use a Shimano Alivio or 105 or Ultegra front axle set if you can work around the
    different size cone outer diameter so there isn't such a big opening between that and the dust caps.
    Later model ( yours is a
    1987) hubs have a 2-part dustcap with the inner shell pressed on the cone itself and the Shimanos
    are too small for it. The bearing surfaces themselves are a perfect match.

Use new grade 25 balls (10x10-3/16") and fresh grease in a thoroughly cleaned hub.

Axel is Eddy's kid. Axle is the stationary equivalent to a spindle.
    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

16. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

>>Adam Rush writes:
    >>>Is it possible (or a good idea, for that matter) to swap the axel in a hub from bolt-on to QR?
    >>>I've got an old low-flange, front Maillard hub (stamped with "85 37" under the "Maillard", if
    >>>that has any relevance) which I would just love to see converted or replaced to match my rear QR
    >>>Maillard hub.

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>Hey! This is bicycling not ice skating. Do your Axels on the skating rink. Paulsen Axel would turn
    >>in his grave if he only knew.

Jeff Wills wrote:
    > Adam, solid axles and QR axles are commonly different threads and diameters. However, your
    > Maillard hub uses 9x1mm thread for both bolt-on and QR applications:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html#axles
    >
    > Hey, Jobst- what kind of bearings is Paulsen Axel turning on? Cartridge or loose balls? :)

9mm? Not likely, especially if it was oem on a lightweight bike. There was indeed a "heavy duty" 9mm
    nutted axle for MTB/BMX offered. But the million-of-bikes standard Atom/Maillard/Normandy solid
    front is an 8mm axle.

(regarding the "85-37" mark, I inadvertantly mistyped "1987" when I meant "1985" earlier.)
    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

17. Hey! This is a cycling forum, you should know that Axel is Eddy's son.

roydrink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.