Axels and Dropouts

Neil Smith

Guest
Dear All,
I have just bought a good new rear wheel with a 130mm to fit an frame with
125mm space between the rear drop outs. The frame is with a framebuilder at
the moment and it occurred to me, after buying the wheel, it might be useful
to have the frame builder to bend the frame so that it can accommodate 135mm
axels/hubs in the future. Is this a good idea and would I have problems with
the new wheel.
Thanks
Neil

"Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear All,
> I have just bought a good new rear wheel with a 130mm to fit an frame with
> 125mm space between the rear drop outs. The frame is with a framebuilder
> at the moment and it occurred to me, after buying the wheel, it might be
> useful to have the frame builder to bend the frame so that it can
> accommodate 135mm axels/hubs in the future. Is this a good idea and would
> I have problems with the new wheel.

You could have the frame spread to 132.5mm, which would mean it would cope
with both.

(and are you a gymnast or high diver?)

cheers,
clive

Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have just bought a good new rear wheel with a 130mm to fit an frame
> with 125mm space between the rear drop outs. The frame is with a
> framebuilder at the moment and it occurred to me, after buying the
> wheel, it might be useful to have the frame builder to bend the frame
> so that it can accommodate 135mm axels/hubs in the future. Is this a
> good idea and would I have problems with the new wheel.

132.5mm would be better, especially if the dropouts are properly re-aligned
as well (as well as simply spreading them). Less fatigue or other problems
when fitting 130mm hubs; minimal springing required for 135 hubs.

But think about whether you're really likely to want a 135mm hub in future.
There are some good 130 hubs around, and wheels built with them can be very
strong if they have 36 spokes. If probably sticking with 130, you might as
well get the frame properly set to 130 while you've got the chance from a
professional frame builder.

If the frame is aluminium though, not such a good idea to alter it at all.

~PB