axle cone compatibility 9.5 mm 26 tpi vs 3/8 standard?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by anonymous, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.

    The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
    cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?

    I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    Tags:

  2. anonymous wrote:
    > Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.
    >
    > The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    > them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard

    "Standard?" don't use adjectives where numbers are called for.

    > solid axles but the
    > cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?
    >
    > I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    They are, but maybe your axles are 24 tpi, this is also a "standard."

    It's also not impossible that the nuts don't match the label on the bag,
    almost everybody makes mistakes.

    Shelden "Nevre Mackes Misteaks" Browne
    +------------------------------------+
    | Love truth, but pardon error. |
    | --Voltaire |
    +------------------------------------+
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:16:19 -0500, Sheldon Brown
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >anonymous wrote:
    >> Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.
    >>
    >> The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    >> them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard

    >"Standard?" don't use adjectives where numbers are called for.
    >
    >> solid axles but the
    >> cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?
    >>
    >> I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    >They are, but maybe your axles are 24 tpi, this is also a "standard."

    I took these cones to a couple different bike shops and they would not
    fit any of the cheapy 3/8 axle sets.

    >It's also not impossible that the nuts don't match the label on the bag,
    >almost everybody makes mistakes.

    That is a scary thought, I could spend all kinds of money special
    ordering 9.5 mm 26 TPI axles, lock nuts and track nuts only to find
    out I had 24 TPI cones!

    Do you know of any any Cinderella hubs out there that use 24 TPI
    threaded 3/8 axles to test this theory out on?

    >Shelden "Nevre Mackes Misteaks" Browne
    >+------------------------------------+
    >| Love truth, but pardon error. |
    >| --Voltaire |
    >+------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    >http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 01 Feb 2006 10:16:56 EST, anonymous <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.
    >
    >The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    >them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
    >cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?
    >
    >I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    If the 3/8 axles are really 3/8-24, which is a "standard" thread used
    on common fine-thread nuts and bolts, then the complete axle
    assemblies with cones, locknuts and axle nuts are interchangeable with
    9.5mm. The components individually are not. There's also a 3/8-26
    axle, which is dimensionally equivalent to 9.525-26; that's close
    enough to allow the individual bits to be swapped as well as the
    complete assemblies. From the sound of it, your old unit is 3/8-24.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. spin156

    spin156 Guest

    anonymous wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:16:19 -0500, Sheldon Brown
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >anonymous wrote:
    > >> Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.
    > >>
    > >> The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    > >> them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard

    > >"Standard?" don't use adjectives where numbers are called for.
    > >
    > >> solid axles but the
    > >> cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?
    > >>
    > >> I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    > >They are, but maybe your axles are 24 tpi, this is also a "standard."
    > >

    > I took these cones to a couple different bike shops and they would not
    > fit any of the cheapy 3/8 axle sets.
    >
    > >It's also not impossible that the nuts don't match the label on the bag,
    > >almost everybody makes mistakes.
    > >

    > That is a scary thought, I could spend all kinds of money special
    > ordering 9.5 mm 26 TPI axles, lock nuts and track nuts only to find
    > out I had 24 TPI cones!
    >
    > Do you know of any any Cinderella hubs out there that use 24 TPI
    > threaded 3/8 axles to test this theory out on?
    >
    > >Shelden "Nevre Mackes Misteaks" Browne
    > >+------------------------------------+
    > >| Love truth, but pardon error. |
    > >| --Voltaire |
    > >+------------------------------------+
    > > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > > http://harriscyclery.com
    > > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > >http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Here's a novel thought ... Why don't you use a thread pitch gauge
    and see what your axle is? Or, you could take a more brute force
    approach - measure 1" and count the threads. That's plenty accurate
    enough to distinguish between 24 and 26tpi.

    Or, you can go to this page:

    http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/TPIandPitch.aspx

    and print out a layover thread pitch gauge, or, use the link there to
    purchase one of their ultra cheap thread pitch gauges ($1.50 !).
    Getting real thread pitch gauges, which would cost less than $10, is
    well worth the money. You say you are worried about spending "lots
    of money". It's all relative ;-)

    Here's a nice blurb on bikes and thread pitches:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=89

    If you want to get the real thing, you will need two thread pitch
    gauges - one English and one Metric. Here's an English set from
    Snap-On (for less than $10 !!! - nothing costs less than $10 from
    them):

    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=1157&store=snapon-store

    and, here is decent metric measuring set ($7.95) which measures
    diameters as well:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...Measuring&tc=Thread/Bolt Gauges&item_id=IR-MM

    Please measure safely!!!

  6. no guages here. we have a box of used axle parts:this is called the
    axle parts box
    when necessary, i spend an hour fitting parts to an axle for one stupid
    reason or ...
    yeah. i find a 9mm axle(or parts?) takes a 3/8ths part but
    convieniently forget which does what.
    enter thread percentage-the amount the male thread fills the female
    thread gap.
    seems that looser tolerances (lower %) such as those available from
    Ford would not fit on tiwainese made parts ordered and designed by
    germans
    anyway-if it wobbles it's no good ummmless you gotta and then use red
    loctite keeping an eye on it as a temporary fixture.
    seems that well made hi percentage parts are not inertchangable

  7. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 13:25:39 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >no guages here. we have a box of used axle parts:this is called the
    >axle parts box
    >when necessary, i spend an hour fitting parts to an axle for one stupid
    >reason or ...
    >yeah. i find a 9mm axle(or parts?) takes a 3/8ths part but
    >convieniently forget which does what.
    >enter thread percentage-the amount the male thread fills the female
    >thread gap.
    >seems that looser tolerances (lower %) such as those available from
    >Ford would not fit on tiwainese made parts ordered and designed by
    >germans
    >anyway-if it wobbles it's no good ummmless you gotta and then use red
    >loctite keeping an eye on it as a temporary fixture.
    >seems that well made hi percentage parts are not inertchangable

    The cheap "universal" 3/8 26 TPI cones made by pyramid, Wald etc.
    seem to work fine on my old axle but I agree they usually run a little
    loose.

    Today I took the new cones in question to a bike shop that had the
    "used axle box" system. They had an axle that fit the cones perfectly
    thread wise but the axle was not long enough. Owner said he thought
    the cone was a mislabeled 24TPI BMX cone.

    None of the other bike shops bothered measuring the cone with a thread
    gauge either. Not their problem so I don't blame them but this seems
    like such a simple problem to fix with a simple cone or axle swap.

  8. loose-wobble-pull back and forth along axle-

    the pyramid-wald group in the right place does not loosewobbleorpull
    shim/campy/'80 ti and japanese hi enders are really tight-like a
    544/122 volvo

    try 'wheels mfg.' website for a cones-axle chart

  9. anonymous wrote:
    > Bought some nice new cones to fit my 3/8 solid axle hub bike.
    >
    > The bag said these were threaded for 9.5 mm 26 tpi. I tried threading
    > them onto three different sets of 3/8 standard solid axles but the
    > cones screw on about three revolutions and come up tight?
    >
    > I thought 3/8 and 9.5 mm 26 TPI cones and axles were interchangeable?

    They are. I'm guessing that the axle 'may' be 10by26...Some 'offshore'
    solid axles are indeed this size. Try a 10by26 or 10by1 cone...at yer
    LBS.