Axle size 130 hub to 135 frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ADAM MALCHOW, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. ADAM MALCHOW

    ADAM MALCHOW Guest

    Hi,

    I am new to the road bike upgrading and technical stuff, having only been
    introduced to biking two years ago but am totally dedicated to the sport.

    Currently I have a Giant OCR Touring. It is great for hauling my 210lb body
    around on paved though rough country roads. However, it has disc brakes,
    which are great for starting a conversation, really have only been OK
    otherwise. The rims allow for only a minimum tire width of 28. I would
    like to go down to a 700x25 tire. What I am considering is putting on road
    caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?

    I would imagine this has been covered before but I would really appreciate
    any help.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:22:44 GMT, "ADAM MALCHOW"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What I am considering is putting on road
    >caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    >I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    >be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    >here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    >sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?
    >
    >I would imagine this has been covered before but I would really appreciate
    >any help.

    If you have mounting holes for caliper brakes, dual caliper brakes
    with pads like Kool Stop salmon work great.

    Should you use 130 mm rear hubs, they can be spaced out to 132.5 and
    will work fine. Should they be respaced to 135, you may need an axel
    change.

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am new to the road bike upgrading and technical stuff, having only been
    >introduced to biking two years ago but am totally dedicated to the sport.
    >
    >Currently I have a Giant OCR Touring. It is great for hauling my 210lb body
    >around on paved though rough country roads. However, it has disc brakes,
    >which are great for starting a conversation, really have only been OK
    >otherwise. The rims allow for only a minimum tire width of 28. I would
    >like to go down to a 700x25 tire. What I am considering is putting on road
    >caliper brakes. I am looking for a good stopping one that is inexpensive.
    >I am not a name brand only type person, so any brand will do. I would then
    >be looking to buy a new wheelset. I would also appreciate a recommendation
    >here also. The current rear axle spacing is 135mm. I see that most road
    >sets have a rear spacing of 130mm. My question is how can I make this work?

    You can get a wheel built using a 135 spaced hub and a 700c rim. This
    is a pretty common build for touring bikes. Shimano XT and Torelli
    Master rim would be a nice combo for your riding.

    Although I wonder- why get rid of the 28s? For rough roads, that is a
    good size.

    I bought a set of Tektro dual pivot road brakes and they are fine. I
    think the set was $45 or so. I have some Shimano RSX brakes on another
    bike and would consider them better, but this is minor. I am not going
    to go out of my way to replace the Tektros. Though I did immediately
    replace the pads- Koolstop salmons.