axle wheel bearing lubrication

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by The Airman, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings (or race) ?

    (Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)

    Thanks

    Ed

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:QJ%[email protected]...
    > What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings
    (or
    > race) ?
    >
    > (Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ed
    From Sheldon Brown's site at URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html "You also will need
    a small amount of grease. The test grease that I know of for this purpose is Phil Wood bicycle
    grease (available at well-stocked bicycle shops). This is a fairly thick grease, which makes for
    easier assembly because it holds the bearing balls in place while you are installing the axle and
    cones. This grease also is very long lasting. Some people prefer a lighter grease, such as
    Campagnolo or Lubriplate #105. These offer slightly less friction, though they seem to be not as
    long lasting."

    Where Sheldon says "test" I think he me best.

    Park Tool at URL: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml Grease, Park Tool
    Polylube® 1000

    I have used Phil Wood, Finish Line, Pedro's, & WTB. They all work fine. Each has it's advantages.
    Pedro's and WTB work in the "grease gun" mode ( GreaseGuard for WTB).

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. airman-<< What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings (or race) ?

    (Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)

    Any good grease...

  4. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2003 03:42:56 GMT, "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:QJ%[email protected]...
    >> What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings
    >(or
    >> race) ?
    >
    >Park Tool at URL: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml Grease, Park Tool
    >Polylube® 1000
    >
    >I have used Phil Wood, Finish Line, Pedro's, & WTB. They all work fine. Each has it's advantages.
    >Pedro's and WTB work in the "grease gun" mode ( GreaseGuard for WTB).

    Over the years I've managed to collect several tubes of "boutique" "bicycle" grease. I always return
    to my old standby, Kendall High Temp Disc Brake Grease A-723, a tub of which I've been using in
    automotive and bike applications since the 1970s. Nothing special about that particular brand, it's
    just that we had a support and contingency deal with Kendall when I raced cars back in the 70s. I
    got the grease free.

    As an experiment I just opened some old tubes of grease. Reasonable looking white grease came out of
    the tube of Pedro's Syn Grease. A clear liquid dribbled out of the tube of Finish Line Premium
    Grease, and a green liquid dribbled out of the tube of Park Polylube 1000. Meanwhile the tub of
    Kendall has maintained the same consistency for the better part of thirty years.