axle wheel bearing lubrication

The Airman

Guest
What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings (or race) ?

(Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)

Thanks

Ed

"The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:QJ%[email protected]...
> What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings
(or
> race) ?
>
> (Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed
From Sheldon Brown's site at URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html "You also will need
a small amount of grease. The test grease that I know of for this purpose is Phil Wood bicycle
grease (available at well-stocked bicycle shops). This is a fairly thick grease, which makes for
easier assembly because it holds the bearing balls in place while you are installing the axle and
cones. This grease also is very long lasting. Some people prefer a lighter grease, such as
Campagnolo or Lubriplate #105. These offer slightly less friction, though they seem to be not as
long lasting."

Where Sheldon says "test" I think he me best.

Park Tool at URL: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml Grease, Park Tool
Polylube® 1000

I have used Phil Wood, Finish Line, Pedro's, & WTB. They all work fine. Each has it's advantages.
Pedro's and WTB work in the "grease gun" mode ( GreaseGuard for WTB).

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

airman-<< What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings (or race) ?

(Campagnolo Record on a 1976 Paramount and Shimano ultegra hubs on Mavic CXPs and Cosmics)

Any good grease...

On Thu, 01 May 2003 03:42:56 GMT, "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:QJ%[email protected]...
>> What does an expert recommend for lubing the wheel bearing axle bearings
>(or
>> race) ?
>
>Park Tool at URL: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml Grease, Park Tool
>Polylube® 1000
>
>I have used Phil Wood, Finish Line, Pedro's, & WTB. They all work fine. Each has it's advantages.
>Pedro's and WTB work in the "grease gun" mode ( GreaseGuard for WTB).

Over the years I've managed to collect several tubes of "boutique" "bicycle" grease. I always return
to my old standby, Kendall High Temp Disc Brake Grease A-723, a tub of which I've been using in
automotive and bike applications since the 1970s. Nothing special about that particular brand, it's
just that we had a support and contingency deal with Kendall when I raced cars back in the 70s. I
got the grease free.

As an experiment I just opened some old tubes of grease. Reasonable looking white grease came out of
the tube of Pedro's Syn Grease. A clear liquid dribbled out of the tube of Finish Line Premium
Grease, and a green liquid dribbled out of the tube of Park Polylube 1000. Meanwhile the tub of
Kendall has maintained the same consistency for the better part of thirty years.