Aye, tis just a scratch?

Jon Bond

Guest
Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
(parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.

Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):

http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395

If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.

I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty sure its just paint, but
better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty crappy weld ;)

Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
> (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
mm)
> to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.
>
> Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
>
> If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
>
> I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty
sure
> its just paint, but better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty
crappy
> weld ;)

Hmmm..... First shot looked like just a scratch, but subsequent ones are a tad more ominous. Can you
have your shop check it out? (I assume lifetime warranty on Fisher frame like my cracked '96 Paragon
-- which they replaced with an ugly '98 instead of the better looking '99, butwhatchagonnado...)

Is that the '02 Marathon, or '03? Looks just like mine ('02), which I *think* I finally got dialed
in by following the advice on {Sideshow Bob shudder.wav} MTBR! (Less oil & less air = full 4"
travel, baybay!)

Bill "actually bottomed out both rear AND front suspensions (both firsts for
me) in last week" S.

> Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
> (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
mm)
> to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.

Looks like a crack to me, being so thin and all... and because it's dark, as if it goes below the
paint. I'm sure you tried flexing the area to see if you can get any movement. Can you try probing
the area with a knife blade to see if it goes deeper than the paint?

It's really hard to tell with that bright sparkley paint job... and the super hi-res. pictures
cross my eyes.

-John Morgan

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
> > (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
> mm)
> > to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.
> >
> > Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
> >
> > If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
> >
> > I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty
> sure
> > its just paint, but better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty
> crappy
> > weld ;)
>
> Hmmm..... First shot looked like just a scratch, but subsequent ones are
> tad more ominous. Can you have your shop check it out?

Next time I'm in the shop I'm gonna bring it with me. I posted on wreck.tech too, so we'll see what
they have to say.

> (I assume lifetime warranty on Fisher frame like my cracked '96 Paragon -- which they
replaced
> with an ugly '98 instead of the better looking '99, butwhatchagonnado...)

Yup, it'd be nice to have a new frame to sell :)

> Is that the '02 Marathon, or '03? Looks just like mine ('02), which I *think* I finally got dialed
> in by following the advice on {Sideshow Bob shudder.wav} MTBR! (Less oil & less air = full 4"
> travel, baybay!)

'03 Marathon SL. Still waiting for parts for the blur! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

> Bill "actually bottomed out both rear AND front suspensions (both firsts
for
> me) in last week" S.

Nice. I found that "scrack" after bottoming out the front really hard on a
2.5-3' drop, and heard a loud crack sound. Figured it was probably just the shock bottoming, but did
a onceover just to make sure.

Jon Bond

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
> >

> Hmmm..... First shot looked like just a scratch, but subsequent ones are
> tad more ominous. >snip<

BTW, the first was with the flash on, the rest were semi-ambient lighting. Flash kinda reflected off
the paint too much, so it made too stark a contrast.

Jon Bond

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:42yDa.59531$%42.100@fed1read06...
> > Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
> > (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
> mm)
> > to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.
>
> Looks like a crack to me, being so thin and all... and because it's dark,
as
> if it goes below the paint. I'm sure you tried flexing the area to see if you can get any
> movement. Can you try probing the area with a knife blade to see if it goes deeper than the paint?

The frame still seems pretty solid, and there's no good way I can figure to flex it outward like
that by hand. The darkness might be dirt - I tried to clean it off as best as I could, but that
stuff won't come out. I wanted to bring it to the shop with paint intact, sometimes paint tells more
than the metal beneath.

> It's really hard to tell with that bright sparkley paint job... and the super hi-res. pictures
> cross my eyes.

paint job doesn't make it easy. click on the "medium" link at the bottom to make it smaller ;)

> -John Morgan

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the
> alignment (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a
> bit leery of it.
>
> Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
>
> If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
>
> I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty sure its just paint, but
> better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty crappy weld ;)

the only wat to knwofor sure is to fet some aircraft stipper and get the paint off down to bare
metal.... looks bad to be though.

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the
> alignment (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a
> bit leery of it.
>
> Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
>
> If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
>
> I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty sure its just paint, but
> better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty crappy weld ;)

I'd bet cash money that it's a cracked frame.

JD

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:04:11 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the
>alignment (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a
>bit leery of it.
>
>Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
>http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
>
>If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
>
>I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty sure its just paint, but
>better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty crappy weld ;)
>
>Jon Bond

Looks like terminal, sorry.

Peter 'Bearer of bad news' R.

"Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:04:11 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
> >(parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
mm)
> >to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.
> >
> >Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
> >
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
> >
> >If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
> >
> >I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty
sure
> >its just paint, but better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty
crappy
> >weld ;)
> >
> >Jon Bond
> >

> Looks like terminal, sorry.
>
> Peter 'Bearer of bad news' R.

not so bad news. Not only am I only 135lbs, so I'm not overloading the frame, but I don't do any big
drops or anything (2.5-3 feet, twice, with good landings, is not abuse in my book, especially when
it was on XC trails, not urban or anything). Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from, so I've
got increased batting power. And, since I was thinking of selling it anyway, a brand new frame is
gonna be a lot better to sell :)

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:

> Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from, so I've got increased batting power. And, since I
> was thinking of selling it anyway, a brand new frame is gonna be a lot better to sell :)
>
> Jon Bond

Not to sound like some SS pusher or anything... but considering what you could get for that
frame... even a new waranrteed frame... you should consider holding on to it and converting it to a
Single Speed...

Jimbo...full of good advice... well full of something...(san)

"jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond wrote:
>
> > Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from, so I've got increased batting power. And, since
> > I was thinking of selling
it
> > anyway, a brand new frame is gonna be a lot better to sell :)
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> Not to sound like some SS pusher or anything... but considering what you
could
> get for that frame... even a new waranrteed frame... you should consider
holding
> on to it and converting it to a Single Speed...
>
> Jimbo...full of good advice... well full of something...(san)

Already in consideration, my good man. Original plan was to do that if I couldn't find somebody to
buy it for a reasonable price (its still a damn good bike, it just doesn't look so nice anymore...
well, and the crack and all), but if they send me a new frame I might be able to get enough dosh
back to make it worth selling. I'll see what's up tho ;)

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> not so bad news. Not only am I only 135lbs, so I'm not overloading the frame, but I don't do any
> big drops or anything (2.5-3 feet, twice, with good landings, is not abuse in my book, especially
> when it was on XC trails, not urban or anything). Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from,
> so I've got increased batting power. And, since I was thinking of selling it anyway, a brand new
> frame is gonna be a lot better to sell :)

All this after only one year at college.. Day'um Tufts _IS_ good.

> Jon Bond wrote:
> > not so bad news. Not only am I only 135lbs, so I'm not overloading the frame, but I don't do any
> > big drops or anything (2.5-3 feet, twice, with good landings, is not abuse in my book,
> > especially when it was on XC
trails,
> > not urban or anything). Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from,
so
> > I've got increased batting power. And, since I was thinking of selling
it
> > anyway, a brand new frame is gonna be a lot better to sell :)
>
> All this after only one year at college.. Day'um Tufts _IS_ good.

And I haven't even taken my econ classes yet... or the MBA I'm planning to get after college ;)

Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2OMDa.876857$Zo.199244@sccrnsc03...

> "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Jon Bond wrote:
> >
> > > Plus I now work for the shop I bought it from, so I've got increased batting power. And,
> > > since I was thinking of
selling
> it
> > > anyway, a brand new frame is gonna be a lot better to sell :)
> > >
> > > Jon Bond
> >
> > Not to sound like some SS pusher or anything... but considering what you
> could
> > get for that frame... even a new waranrteed frame... you should consider
> holding
> > on to it and converting it to a Single Speed...
> >
> > Jimbo...full of good advice... well full of something...(san)
>
> Already in consideration, my good man. Original plan was to do that if I couldn't find somebody to
> buy it for a reasonable price (its still a damn good bike, it just doesn't look so nice anymore...
> well, and the crack and all), but if they send me a new frame I might be able to get enough dosh
> back to make it worth selling. I'll see what's up tho ;)
>
> Jon Bond

I say prepare for Ebay. Fisher usually - at least in the cases I've seen - replaces waranteed frames
with a higher-end model. I wouldn't be surprised if your Kaitai turns into a Paragon, which goes for
plenty on Ebay. Keep the extraneous parts for when you need a last-minute-Blur-fix, or for the next
trainer you build. Hell, you could put them on that $49 Nashbar steel frame and have something to
trash around campus.

Chris
- is about to put his X-Caliber on Ebay...watch it go for WAY more than it's worth.

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:742Ea.36877>
> I say prepare for Ebay. Fisher usually - at least in the cases I've
seen -
> replaces waranteed frames with a higher-end model. I wouldn't be
surprised
> if your Kaitai turns into a Paragon, which goes for plenty on Ebay. Keep the extraneous parts for
> when you need a last-minute-Blur-fix, or for the next trainer you build. Hell, you could put them
> on that $49 Nashbar
steel
> frame and have something to trash around campus.
>
> Chris
> - is about to put his X-Caliber on Ebay...watch it go for WAY more than it's worth.

Dunno.. I have been selling parts for a while and to be honest with you I have never really seen the
great profits for bike parts on Ebay.... even new ones IMHO I would rather have a spare bike...
Spare parts are all great and good but if something goes wrong with your main ride it is always nice
to have the back up sitting there waiting for you... when you would rather be riding than switching
parts on your only ride....

Jimbo... many second choices...(san)