Azzurri Primo

G'day

The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
"test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

Thanks
Andrew

In article
<[email protected]>,

> The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

> The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

Can't really comment on the bike except to say that one of the LBS's
here in Canberra will not service an Azzuri. Sounds bizarre, but they
won't touch 'em.

On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> > "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> > the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> > same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

> Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

duncan

[email protected]:

> G'day
>
> The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

At that price I assume it's the carbon Primo. There's also an aluminium one
(with carbon fork, seat stay, seatpost...). I bought one of these for $2199
a year ago (but had it stolen) and, yes, I couldn't find anything comparable
- with 10-sp Ultegra - near the price.

It looks like the carbon can be had for $2799 here:

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod2037.htm

My LBS was happy to talk a discount on RRP and, from here:

http://www.azzurribikes.com/

there are new bikes on the way, so 'last year's model' should be available
at a good discount.
--
HTH,
Steve = : ^ )

On Mar 3, 9:42 am, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,

> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> > > "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> > > the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> > > same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

> > Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

> what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

It's as local as Malvern Star or Apollo :)

In article
<[email protected]>,
Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >
> > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> > > "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> > > the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> > > same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

> > Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

> what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

As above, local _brand_. Nothing said about the components or place of
manufacturing.
--

Bean Long wrote:
> Can't really comment on the bike except to say that one of the LBS's
> here in Canberra will not service an Azzuri. Sounds bizarre, but they
> won't touch 'em.

Say Bean, in a totally unrelated matter was that you who rode by and
greeted me outside the Phillip College last Tuesday night? I was
waiting fro my French class to start, and was a bit distracted with my
last-minute study and practice...

BTH

On Mar 3, 11:44 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
> Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

> > what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

> As above, local _brand_. Nothing said about the components or place of
> manufacturing.

mea culpa..

It would be nice to support the LBS's by supplying kits to them for
assembly....

BT Humble wrote:

> Say Bean, in a totally unrelated matter was that you who rode by and
> greeted me outside the Phillip College last Tuesday night? I was
> waiting fro my French class to start, and was a bit distracted with my
> last-minute study and practice...

Yep... that was me!

Perhaps I should have said "bonjour BT"?!?

Duncan said:
On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The latest issue of Bicycling Australia (March-April 2008) has a
> > "test" of a Azzurri Primo which sounds okay and seems good value for
> > the price - $2999 RRP. I was interested to hear from any owners of
> > same as to what their thoughts are on the bike or the brand.

> Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

duncan
Just like the vast majority of other brands. How many bike manufactures make groupsets? How many outsource their frames to large Taiwanese frame makers? Most will give the spec to the frame maker or simply take a generic frame.

By your reasoning most Treks are a Japanese/Taiwanese brand.

On Mar 3, 7:13 pm, steve46au <steve46au.35o...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Duncan Wrote:
>
> > On Mar 3, 9:09 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > for

> > > Local brand. Value products. It goes. What else can one say?

> > what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

> > duncan

> Just like the vast majority of other brands. How many bike manufactures
> make groupsets? How many outsource their frames to large Taiwanese frame
> makers? Most will give the spec to the frame maker or simply take a
> generic frame.
>
> By your reasoning most Treks are a Japanese/Taiwanese brand.

Indeed they are,,, and your point is?

Bean Long wrote:
> BTHumble wrote:
> > Say Bean, in a totally unrelated matter was that you who rode by and
> > greeted me outside the Phillip College last Tuesday night? I was
> > waiting fro my French class to start, and was a bit distracted with my
> > last-minute study and practice...

> Yep... that was me!
>
> Perhaps I should have said "bonjour BT"?!?

"Bon soir" would have been more appropriate, given the time of
day. ;-)

BTH

In article
<[email protected]>,
Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 11:44 am, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >
> > Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > what's local about it.. apart from sticking the bits together?

> > As above, local _brand_. Nothing said about the components or place of
> > manufacturing.

> mea culpa..
>
> It would be nice to support the LBS's by supplying kits to them for
> assembly....

They certainly could and some LBSs do do that. Then again, consumer
would look at those bikes with a strange stare, worse than what they
reserve for those K-Mart bikes. Wonder of consumer psychology...
--

Andrew Priest wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:20:24 +1100, Bean Long
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:

>> Can't really comment on the bike except to say that one of the LBS's
>> here in Canberra will not service an Azzuri. Sounds bizarre, but they
>> won't touch 'em.

> Do you know why?

No idea. It's something they used to even point out on their website,
though I now notice they just mention they won't service bikes from
K-Mart or places like that. Perhaps their just being snooty?!?

On Mar 4, 10:21 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrew Priest wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:20:24 +1100, Bean Long
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> [email protected] wrote:

> >> Can't really comment on the bike except to say that one of the LBS's
> >> here in Canberra will not service an Azzuri. Sounds bizarre, but they
> >> won't touch 'em.

> > Do you know why?

> No idea. It's something they used to even point out on their website,
> though I now notice they just mention they won't service bikes from
> K-Mart or places like that. Perhaps their just being snooty?!?

They're probably tired of explaining to customers that it will cost
$50+ to service their $100 bike, and that is only a stop-gap measure.

duncan

> "Bon soir" would have been more appropriate, given the time of
> day. ;-)

Just the one word, actually "Bonsoir" ;-)

Duncan wrote:
> On Mar 4, 10:21 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Andrew Priest wrote:
>>> Do you know why?

>> No idea. It's something they used to even point out on their website,
>> though I now notice they just mention they won't service bikes from
>> K-Mart or places like that. Perhaps their just being snooty?!?

> They're probably tired of explaining to customers that it will cost
> $50+ to service their $100 bike, and that is only a stop-gap measure.
>
> duncan

My brother owned a LBS and he always used to tell customers that it was
OK if they bought a bike at K-Mart or similar. He told them that in the
long run he made more out of a K-Mart bike than out of one he sold
himself :)

IMSHO, cheap bike + clue + http://sheldonbrown.com = DIY