B.B. question on Cannondale

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bildom, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
    crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

    Tags:

  2. BilDom wrote:
    > I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
    > crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

    All Cannondales take standard ISO/English 68 mm bottom brackets.

    The spindle length needed mainly depends on the crankset you choose. See:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize for a listing of cranks and recommended bottom brackets.

    Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    | The man who does not read good books has no advantage over | the man who can't read them. --Mark
    | Twain |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
    > crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

    ......Cdale is english thread,68mm shell width.You need to use the correct spindle length and type
    for your crankset.Current 9 speed shimano triples(exept tiagra) use the splined 118.5mm BB

  4. bildom-<< I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano
    triple crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need?

    Depends on the crankset-frameset shell size is 68mm, threading is 'english'..if splined
    crank-118.5mm BB length. If not splined, depends on the crank-

  5. Bobv

    Bobv Guest

    I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4 frame and just recently
    picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in 118 mm length but
    the better (lighter at least) Ultegra BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

    Thanks, Bob

    On 07 Apr 2003 12:56:36 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >bildom-<< I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a
    >Shimano triple crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need?
    >
    >Depends on the crankset-frameset shell size is 68mm, threading is 'english'..if splined
    >crank-118.5mm BB length. If not splined, depends on the crank-
    >

    >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4
    frame
    > and just recently picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in
    > 118 mm length but the better (lighter at least)
    Ultegra
    > BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

    As Peter (and many of us repeatedly) noted, your frame uses the 68mm wide series crank bearing
    assembly. The spindle length is determined not by the frame but rather by the crank you select.

  7. Bobv

    Bobv Guest

    Well, yeah

    Yes, it is obvious that the frame uses the 68mm wide crank bearing assembly, but my question is what
    spindle length do I use with the CODA tapered square triple road crank ? Can I use either the
    Shimano BB-UN73 115mm, or the BB-UN52 118mm bottom brackets?

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:17:31 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >As Peter (and many of us repeatedly) noted, your frame uses the 68mm wide series crank bearing
    >assembly. The spindle length is determined not by the frame but rather by the crank you select.

    >> >bildom-<< I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom
    >bracket
    >> >on to accept a Shimano triple crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size
    >BB
    >> >I need?
    >
    >> On 07 Apr 2003 12:56:36 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo)
    >wrote:
    >> >Depends on the crankset-frameset shell size is 68mm, threading is
    >'english'..if
    >> >splined crank-118.5mm BB length. If not splined, depends on the crank-
    >
    >"bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4
    >frame
    >> and just recently picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in
    >> 118 mm length but the better (lighter at least)
    >Ultegra
    >> BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I think either would work. If you need to feel closer to perfect, put a 1or 2 mm freewheel spacer on
    the drive side of the bb. They actually made 1½ mm spacers too.

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:54:20 GMT, bobv <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4 frame and just recently
    >picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in 118 mm length but
    >the better (lighter at least) Ultegra BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, yeah
    >
    > Yes, it is obvious that the frame uses the 68mm wide crank bearing
    assembly, but
    > my question is what spindle length do I use with the CODA tapered square
    triple
    > road crank ? Can I use either the Shimano BB-UN73 115mm, or the BB-UN52
    118mm
    > bottom brackets?

    Sorry I wasn't clear

    There are various "CODA" cranks made by various manufacturers. You'll need to have someone who knows
    bicycle cranks look at it and tell you what it is and/or who made it.

  10. Bobv

    Bobv Guest

    Thanks for all the help

    I bought and installed the BB-UN73 115mm, and it looks like a perfect fit.

    Thanks again, Bob