B.B. question on Cannondale

Bildom

Guest
I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

BilDom wrote:
> I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
> crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

All Cannondales take standard ISO/English 68 mm bottom brackets.

The spindle length needed mainly depends on the crankset you choose. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize for a listing of cranks and recommended bottom brackets.

Sheldon "Numbers" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------+
| The man who does not read good books has no advantage over | the man who can't read them. --Mark
| Twain |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano triple
> crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need? Thanks in advance. - Bill

......Cdale is english thread,68mm shell width.You need to use the correct spindle length and type
for your crankset.Current 9 speed shimano triples(exept tiagra) use the splined 118.5mm BB

bildom-<< I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom bracket on to accept a Shimano
triple crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size BB I need?

Depends on the crankset-frameset shell size is 68mm, threading is 'english'..if splined
crank-118.5mm BB length. If not splined, depends on the crank-

I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4 frame and just recently
picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in 118 mm length but
the better (lighter at least) Ultegra BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

Thanks, Bob

"bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4
frame
> and just recently picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in
> 118 mm length but the better (lighter at least)
Ultegra
> BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

As Peter (and many of us repeatedly) noted, your frame uses the 68mm wide series crank bearing
assembly. The spindle length is determined not by the frame but rather by the crank you select.

Well, yeah

Yes, it is obvious that the frame uses the 68mm wide crank bearing assembly, but my question is what
spindle length do I use with the CODA tapered square triple road crank ? Can I use either the
Shimano BB-UN73 115mm, or the BB-UN52 118mm bottom brackets?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:17:31 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>As Peter (and many of us repeatedly) noted, your frame uses the 68mm wide series crank bearing
>assembly. The spindle length is determined not by the frame but rather by the crank you select.

>> >bildom-<< I have a Cannondale CAAD3 frame that I need to put a bottom
>bracket
>> >on to accept a Shimano triple crankset. Does anyone know definitively what size
>BB
>> >I need?
>
>> On 07 Apr 2003 12:56:36 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo)
>wrote:
>> >Depends on the crankset-frameset shell size is 68mm, threading is
>'english'..if
>> >splined crank-118.5mm BB length. If not splined, depends on the crank-
>
>"bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4
>frame
>> and just recently picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in
>> 118 mm length but the better (lighter at least)
>Ultegra
>> BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

I think either would work. If you need to feel closer to perfect, put a 1or 2 mm freewheel spacer on
the drive side of the bb. They actually made 1½ mm spacers too.

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:54:20 GMT, bobv <[email protected]> wrote:

>I too have question on bottom brackets for Cannondale. I have a CAAD 4 frame and just recently
>picked up a CODA triple with the old square crank. The Shimano BB-UN52 comes in 118 mm length but
>the better (lighter at least) Ultegra BB-UN73 only comes in 115 mm length. Would either work ok?

"bobv" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, yeah
>
> Yes, it is obvious that the frame uses the 68mm wide crank bearing
assembly, but
> my question is what spindle length do I use with the CODA tapered square
triple
> road crank ? Can I use either the Shimano BB-UN73 115mm, or the BB-UN52
118mm
> bottom brackets?

Sorry I wasn't clear

There are various "CODA" cranks made by various manufacturers. You'll need to have someone who knows
bicycle cranks look at it and tell you what it is and/or who made it.

Thanks for all the help

I bought and installed the BB-UN73 115mm, and it looks like a perfect fit.

Thanks again, Bob