B/B Thread -To grease or not to grease?

ROBIN9

Mar 31, 2006
Hi,

I have read many of the threads rea clicking noises and am about to embark on disembling / tighting / regreasing various parts.

Before I do so, I want to know if greasing square tapers on b/b crank arms is required. I have fitted a new B/B recently and the clicking is (once or twice in short succession on each peddle revolution). It gets worse of course when more force is exerted on the pedels. There are plenty of suggestions for things to try, so just need to know this specific.

When I fitterd the new B/B I smeared a little grease over the threads. Was this the right thing to do? :confused:

I would imagine its not that relavant, but its an XT B/B in a Rocky Mountain Instinct mountain bike.

Cheers!

ROBIN9 said:
Before I do so, I want to know if greasing square tapers on b/b crank arms is required.
I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference. The important thing either way is to get the spindle and crank as clean as possible to start with.

ROBIN9 said:
Hi,

I have read many of the threads rea clicking noises and am about to embark on disembling / tighting / regreasing various parts.

Before I do so, I want to know if greasing square tapers on b/b crank arms is required. I have fitted a new B/B recently and the clicking is (once or twice in short succession on each peddle revolution). It gets worse of course when more force is exerted on the pedels. There are plenty of suggestions for things to try, so just need to know this specific.

When I fitterd the new B/B I smeared a little grease over the threads. Was this the right thing to do? :confused:

I would imagine its not that relavant, but its an XT B/B in a Rocky Mountain Instinct mountain bike.

Cheers!

I had a similar situation recently that drove me nuts because I couldn't find the source of the clicking. Finally, I discovered a small crack in the crankarm at the corner of the hole that fits over the BB taper. Also check your chainring bolts and pedals. They are also possible sources of the clicking.