B.C Wheel

brockfisher05

Guest
I made this set of plates in about 15 minutes at the shop I'm interning
at. They are made of some scrap metal laying around the yard. It's
around 3/8-1/2" thick. They have ~15/32" holes punched for the axle, and
hang down about 2" from the center of the hole. I rounded the corners of
everything on my bench grinder at home, and cleaned off some of the rust
with a wire wheel on my bench grinder.

They are about 4.5" wide (bend-to-outside edge) and 3" long (front to
back). There is around 3/4" of plate above the hole. I essentially
modeled the plates after a pedal I had laying around.

The tools I used were, in order of importance:
Ironworker, used to cut the steel, punch the holes, and make the bends.
Cost of tool: $1500-20,000 new. $500-2,000 used, but very rare.

Square, used to check angle of bend in plates. Cost of tool: $10-80 new,
$5-50 used.

Bench grinder, used to clean off rust and round sharp corners. Cost of
tool: $50-300 new. $10-$50 used. I got mine at a flea market for really
cheap. You can also use an angle grinder. They are about the same
cost.

Welding/**** chisel/hammer, used to remove **** from a previous
oxy-acetalene cut.

You can make your own BC plates with ther tools above (the bench grinder
and **** chisel/hammer aren't absolutely6 neccessary). I would ask
around local metalshops to see if any of them will let you learn to use
their ironworker. Otherwise you will have to find someone who will let
you use their MIG welder. This will be harder to use, since it isn't
easy to keep the plates at a 90 degree angle. The drilling will have to
be done on a mill or heavy duty drill press, which takes far longer. The
ironworker will punch the holes in about 3 seconds, with about 30
seconds of setup, while a mill will drill the holes in about 1 minutes
with about 3 minutes of setup. The bends can be done on an ironworker in
about 2 seconds, and setup takes around 15 seconds. Welding instead will
take around 30 seconds to weld the material, with about 5 minutes to set
it up. The ironworker will cut the steel in about 1 second, with about 5
seconds of setup.

Basically, ironworkers (yes, it's a machine. it uses a hydraulic ram to
press a shear, bender, and punch down. They have strengths ranging from
15 to 200 tons) are the best way, but other ways will work.

I reccomend steel for ease of working, but aluminum is better for
weight. Don't go thinner than 3/8". If the bends can be done in the
metal with a bvench vise, then it's too weak, IMHO.

| Attachment filename: bc plate, side.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/276705|

gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

[...]

Did I mention get a *really* strong bike axle? I used a MTB axle, and I
bent it within a day, and I haven't even used it for hopping.

| Attachment filename: foot on bc plate.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/276707|

brockfisher05 wrote:
> *cool so bassicaly where the frame would hang on is where the plates
> go. Thats a goood Idea *

The BC wheel I posted pics of is exactly the same as bedford bc wheels
in it's basic design.

A major point to stress, since I can't tell if you noticed it, is that
this is NOT a unicycle hub/axle. You need to take the front hub off of a
good BMX bike. You can always take the entire wheel, too.

ChangingLinks, I didn't understand that at all.

--

gerblefranklin wrote:
> *ChangingLinks, I didn't understand that at all. *

I was saying that he should try to convince YOU to make him a set.
You have the expertise and access to the tools.
Or, he could try to figure out where to buy a set.

It sounds difficult to create a set, but that aside, it seems easy to
make a B.C. wheel once you have a set.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Ohh, I see.

Brockerfish, I'm going to the shop this afternoon and I'll see if
there's any more metal laying around to make a couple more sets of
plates with. If the guy who runs the shop will let me make a few sets to
sell, I'd be happy to make you a set for $15 or 20.

--

brockfisher05 wrote:
> *cool so bassicaly where the frame would hang on is where the plates
> go.*

As Gerbil explained, replace "frame" with "fork." Bicycle wheels are a
dime a dozen, and all you need is a front wheel.

I too started out with a basic BMX hub. The axle bent after a while, and
my bike shop replaced it with a high-end BMX axle. That one's still in
there, nearly 20 years later. Still the original hub; they just replaced
the axle.

I made the rest of mine with leftover 24" Miyata parts, but I think I'll
get a 20" one with a newer, better hub. Zack Baldwin's just rolls so
much nicer than my old thing, it makes it easier to ride!

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

gerblefranklin wrote:
> *Did I mention get a *really* strong bike axle? I used a MTB axle, and
> I bent it within a day, and I haven't even used it for hopping. *

Are you using a 14mm axle or a 3/8" axle? The 14mm size is the
oversized size used on BMX bikes that are used for jumping and other
abuse. The 3/8" size is the standard size used on lower end BMX
bikes.

The B.C. wheels made by Bedford and Unicycle.com use the 14mm axle size.
The 14mm size is bigger, stronger.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

Here's mine. Its homemade. My mom bought me the wheel (I payed her back,
I just wasn't there when money was physically passed over). It ended up
costing more then it should of but it was still cheaper than a fully
made one. The wheel was like $110 CAD I think. Alex rim of some sort,
I'll get back to you, Snafu Knob Job tire, 14 mm axle. But now that I
use it more, I learned to (rolling) mount it last week, I love it. The
plates are 4"x4" I believe. I brought in pictures of a couple to my
school's shop class teacher and he had them made up for free by some
student. They are kinda slippery when wet, and the paint is coming off
cuz they were only spray-painted, but meh. It has already smashed in the
bumper of a moving van, and been purposely run over by a truck, but
thats a different tale for a different day.

David

| Attachment filename: bc 1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/279015|

darchibald - Trials and Street rider

"There wouldn't be an 'us' if there wasn't a 'them'." - Gild
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Plate

| Attachment filename: bc 2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/279017|

darchibald - Trials and Street rider

"There wouldn't be an 'us' if there wasn't a 'them'." - Gild
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

HEHEHEHE so gerelfranklin was right again. I did make an old post about
bc wheels so here is the question why doesnt the plate spin with the
axle. I know that its a free wheel and when you get on only the wheel
spins, but the one i made the pegs I used spin while its rolling so why
dont the plates?

--
brockfisher05 - THE YAM FATHER

Also a member of the Vancouver unicycle group

ADD ME AT: [email protected]
brockfisher05's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8363

I think it is just cause the plates weigh more and have a heavy side
that ways it down. I supposed if you greased the axle down enough to be
virtually frictionless (ha) it would stop spinning. But really it should
stop if you jump on it with your weight evenly. I only tried pegs for a
short while when my plates were being made. I know why it was originally
called an impossible wheel. My record was like 3 feet and that was just
a long fall. The things keep spinning if you aren't perfectly balanced
on it and it will just dump you. It was ridiculous. Tim cut his pegs in
half lengthwise to stop the spinning once he jumped on but I still
highly suggest you get plates.

David

--
darchibald - Trials and Street rider

"I guess as you get older people just try to make you eat hot dogs
less." - Jesse Campbell

"Yeah I don't think real live boomerangs are for catching. I mean if you
throw it and it clubs a dead animal and it comes back at like 50 mph, I
don't think you're catching it." Jesse Campbell

john_childs wrote:
> *Are you using a 14mm axle or a 3/8" axle? The 14mm size is the
> oversized size used on BMX bikes that are used for jumping and other
> abuse. The 3/8" size is the standard size used on lower end BMX
> bikes.
>
> The B.C. wheels made by Bedford and Unicycle.com use the 14mm axle
> size. The 14mm size is bigger, stronger. *

I've seen a lot of pro BMXer's use 3/8" axles, instead of 14mm, and 36
spoked rims instead of the normal 48. They are usually weight nazi's
who'll take any measure to get their bike down to a lower weight, but
still retain strength. I've seen a lot of street guys riding with
european botton brackets, instead of the normal oversized ones. Of
course they are professionals at what they do, and usually break
themselves, before they do equipment. But it all depends on the brand
and quality of the components...either way is the way to go, if you know
about the right components, and if you have no problem with spending a
little extra cash.

Evan

--
TrialsUni - Urban Trials Rider