[b]cannondale R600[/b]

sunfire67

Feb 21, 2004
I just return from my LBS and was lookinG at a brand new 2003 Cannondale R600 for $1499 CDN. It has all the same components as the 2004. Also 2 years free tune ups, the shop is rEally close to my house and they do alot of group rides.

Front derailleur: Shimano splined
Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Shifters: Shimano 105
Rims: Gipiemme T3
Frame: CAAD5
Forks: Slice Ultra Si

I was at another store and took the R1000 for a test ride, really nice bike but out of myprice range. So tell me what you guys think Iam really interested.

I dont know what CDN means but I'm going to go test ride a R1000 today, check out the new 05 on the website. Its a caad8 they upgraded the frame, crank, BB but what I dont get is that the 04 9-speed was a 12-26 and the 05 10-speed is a 12-25. Getting to my point, I called yesterday and my LBS said that the R1000 is on sale for like $1580.00 but I dont know if that was for the 04 or 05 but either way thats about the same price you were looking to spend. It seems like a sweet bike. I'm also going to go ride a trek 2100 today, they upgraded for 05 as well, and I was quoted $1530.00. Lighter Bonty wheels, ultegra replaced the 105 shifters and rear derailer. Weight is the same and price point is close enough to where it doesn't really matter. The key differance is the carbon seat stay on the Trek vs. the "hour glass" shaped alluminum seat stay on the Cannondale. I dont know if the 10-speed is a benifit or not, for some reson you have less range on the cassette and I've heard that for a 10-speed your chain options are limited and expensive. I'm going to buy one or the other this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cruzzer08 said:
I dont know if the 10-speed is a benifit or not, for some reson you have less range on the cassette..........
Not really.It depends on what casette you stick on it. The 12x26 was a sram casette. In 9 speed shimano ofers a 12x25 or12x27. Any shop shhould be willing to swap out new ones.

I think they upgraded the spec on that R600 a bit.. from memory they had a Tiagra/105 mix, not 105/Ultegra.

The CAAD5 is a nice frame (I ride one myself and think it's great); I'm not sure of the competitiveness of your local market, but thinking in terms of my local currency CDN$1499 sounds like an excellent price too.

I know that there are other options I'm just talking about what comes on the bike via online specs. I bought my R1000 yesterday they are on sale for $1599 and worth every penny. I was lucky because I had a really cool Cannondale dealer and I had a Trek dealer down the street. So what I did was take the Trek 2100 out and the Cannondale guy took the R1000 out and I was able to switch back and forth between the to. The trek was smooth and had a real nice feel to it (like a Cadillac) but The R1000 is so awesome, you can feel that more of you power is going to the pedals and not being sucked up by the frame. The handling is equally impressive the Trek is a Cady and the R1000 is a Ferrari. And I just happen to be more of a Ferrari guy myself.