B-Day RR - The San Juan Trail

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Porter, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on the San Juan trail in the
    Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up
    going with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking about going, but when your
    birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just seem to have issues with getting up early (more than the
    usual whining). Anyway we arrived at the trailhead around 6:30AM and within 10 minutes we were off.
    There have been many RRs on San Juan in the past so I won't describe the trail just check out my
    page one it http://www.mountainbikebill.com/san_juan.htm. This was the first time I had rode the
    trail since August of last year (I know what the hell I'm I doing only riding this thing in the
    summer) so I was looking forward to the ride. I was pretty stoked that I managed to clean the bottom
    10 switchbacks however, while doing this my SS buddy did his usual of pulling away. For the rest of
    6.6-mile climb up to Lunch Box Rock I was playing catch up to my single geared friend and feeling
    awful sluggish and unenergetic. It was not until I got to the rock that I realized that I actually
    made really good time. The heat was really cranking up now and it was not getting any cooler. After
    a minimalist break at the rock we headed off on the "new" San Juan Trail and then over to the Viejo
    Tie Trail. One thing I noticed is that the technical sections seemed well, a little less technical
    with rocks and drops looked a little smaller. I was riding a lot more stuff than I have in past. Now
    I was by no means cleaning everything and I did leave a small DNA offering to the MTB gods on the
    Viejo Tie Trail. The 6.6-mile singletrack downhill proved to be just as awesome as usual. So I would
    have to say "Stay Young Ride Your Bike". I am a year better today and I highly recommend chasing a
    freakishly fast rider to push yourself .

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on the San Juan trail in the
    > Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up
    > going with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking about going, but when your
    > birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just seem to have issues with getting up early (more than
    > the usual whining).

    <SNIP>

    I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the night!

    Glad you had a good B-Day ride in and beat the heat. It was only 97 in Escondido at noon so it
    sounds like you beat the worst part of it anyway.

    Michael

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
    > I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    dawn is a lovely time to ride, especially on a "beat the heat" ride.

    Penny

  4. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:11:32 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on the San Juan trail in the
    >> Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up
    >> going with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking about going, but when
    >> your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just seem to have issues with getting up early (more
    >> than the usual whining).
    >
    ><SNIP>
    >
    >I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the night!
    >
    >Glad you had a good B-Day ride in and beat the heat. It was only 97 in Escondido at noon so it
    >sounds like you beat the worst part of it anyway.
    >
    >Michael

    I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:11:32 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the night!

    > I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)

    He's feeling more bedspready, I think :)

    Bill "cheap down comforter" S.

  6. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:11:32 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on the San Juan trail in the
    > >> Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended
    > >> up going with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking about going, but
    > >> when your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just seem to have issues with getting up early
    > >> (more than the usual whining).
    > >
    > ><SNIP>
    > >
    > >I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the night!
    > >
    > >Glad you had a good B-Day ride in and beat the heat. It was only 97 in Escondido at noon so it
    > >sounds like you beat the worst part of it anyway.
    > >
    > >Michael
    > >

    > I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)

    It's much to hot to feel quilty about anything right now. ;-) As for guilt, I feel none at all about
    remaining in bed like the rest of the sane people at that hour!

    It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to go but the wife and I had
    an appointment for baby pictures at 11:00 and I figured there'd be no way in heck I'd ever make it
    back in time.

    That plus the fact that I'm feeling extra fat and slow these days so the last thing I needed to do
    was try and keep up with you and Billy!

    Michael

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    >
    > It's much to hot to feel quilty about anything right now. ;-) As for guilt, I feel none at all
    > about remaining in bed like the rest of the sane people at that hour!
    >
    > It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to
    go

    ANOTHER MOUNTAIN BIKER LIE!!!

    (We rode SJT on *my* birthday bake last year, July 13th. For Porter's we did that lovely East Mesa
    to Indian Creek to Hell & Back death march.)

    Bill "open to riding something good next Sunday, but sure doesn't have to be a 48-miler!" S.

  8. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:30:36 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
    >> I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    >>
    >> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
    >
    >dawn is a lovely time to ride, especially on a "beat the heat" ride.
    >
    >Penny

    Here is a pan shot (still needs some stitch work) from this morning looking west just under 3 miles
    up the trail. 417KB http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/SanJuanPan-5JUL03.jpg

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  9. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <SNIP>
    >It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to go
    <SNIP>

    My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a fall/winter SJT.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > >It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to
    go
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a fall/winter SJT.

    At night!

    Bill "come on, you know you want to" S.

  11. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:47:42 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >> >It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to
    >go
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a fall/winter SJT.
    >
    >At night!
    >
    >Bill "come on, you know you want to" S.

    I hear there is a group of folks that do that almost every wednesday night. Could be interesting

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:47:42 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <SNIP>
    > >go
    > >> <SNIP>
    > >>
    > >> My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a fall/winter SJT.
    > >
    > >At night!
    > >
    > >Bill "come on, you know you want to" S.
    > >
    > I hear there is a group of folks that do that almost every wednesday night. Could be interesting

    Before I was smart enough to know better, a friend and I rode up (!) and down Noble completely at
    night. The Hale-Bop comet was blazing in a clear black sky, too, making it even more memorable.

    Bill "Easter Eve, 199_? -- when those weird cultists here in SD offed themselves" S.

  13. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:43:31 GMT, Bill Porter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:30:36 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
    >>> I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    >>>
    >>> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
    >>
    >>dawn is a lovely time to ride, especially on a "beat the heat" ride.
    >>
    >>Penny
    >>
    > Here is a pan shot (still needs some stitch work) from this morning looking west just under 3
    > miles up the trail. 417KB http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/SanJuanPan-5JUL03.jpg
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Whoa Bill! Nice shot and nice RR. I'm sorry I wasn't able to hook up with y'all when I hit SJT. I
    missed this fantastic scene (your pan) as the marine layer was mighty thick on the day I went.
    Absolutely beautiful. Great trail!

    On an SS tho...now that's hard core!

  14. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    > >
    > > It's much to hot to feel quilty about anything right now. ;-) As for guilt, I feel none at all
    > > about remaining in bed like the rest of the
    sane
    > > people at that hour!
    > >
    > > It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to
    > go
    >

    > ANOTHER MOUNTAIN BIKER LIE!!!
    >
    > (We rode SJT on *my* birthday bake last year, July 13th. For Porter's we did that lovely East Mesa
    > to Indian Creek to Hell & Back death march.)
    >
    > Bill "open to riding something good next Sunday, but sure doesn't have to
    be
    > a 48-miler!" S.

    My memory must be going because the last memory I have of SJT is when we joined up with all the
    other AMB-ers Last July which would be a year ago. Either that, or your B-Day ride was so
    memorable.................

    Bill's death march last year was kind of fun though. I guess the biggest problem with July B-day's
    is that you can pretty much bet that the ride will be hot!

    Michael "My B-day is in October so all we have to worry about is Indian Summer" P

  15. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:30:36 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
    > >> I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about something? :)
    > >>
    > >> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
    > >
    > >dawn is a lovely time to ride, especially on a "beat the heat" ride.
    > >
    > >Penny
    > >
    > Here is a pan shot (still needs some stitch work) from this morning looking west just under 3
    > miles up the trail. 417KB http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/SanJuanPan-5JUL03.jpg
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Nice shot. Still a bit of coastal moisture though. I'm so used to the constant haze we seem to have
    here in So-Cal (not always smog) that I am utterly shocked when I see totally clear skies from other
    parts of the country.

    Good to hear that Billy took you on Viejas Tie to Chiquito when you rode. That trail is a ton of
    fun. Sort of defeats the purpose of spending an hour and a half climbing if you skip out on that
    trial and only go up the traditional way!

    Michael

  16. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:20:53 -0700, Bill Porter wrote:

    > There were a few other thinking about going, but when your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks
    > just seem to have issues with getting up early (more than the usual whining). Anyway we arrived at
    > the trailhead around
    > 6:30AM and within 10 minutes we were off.

    Shoot, if you're getting up that early, why bother even going to bed? ;)

    > One thing I noticed is that the technical sections seemed well, a little less technical with rocks
    > and drops looked a little smaller. I was riding a lot more stuff than I have in past.

    Right on!

    gabrielle