B&M DIWA Brake lights

Ric

Guest
Has anybody tried the Busch & Muller DIWA brake lights system? I'm thinking
of buying a set for my city bike (SON powered). The description on
RoseVersand mail order site is a bit vague - how does this work exactly? It
appears that there is an accelerometer of some sort, but is it mounted in
the front or rear lamp? Also, does the front lamp have the usual lumosensor
built in?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:58:06 +0100, Ric wrote:

> Busch & Muller DIWA

I don't have this system but my understanding from reading the B&M German
language information is that it measures the deceleration from the hub
dynamo i.e. I suppose it counts the cycles from the hub and detects a
decrease. The front and back light have to be used together because the
light sensor is mounted in the front one and the back one needs to know how
much daylight there is in order to adjust its brightness when decelerating.
Also, when decelerating, both front and back lights come on in order to
prevent the rear buld burning out.
--
Michael MacClancy

Ric wrote:
> Has anybody tried the Busch & Muller DIWA brake lights system? I'm thinking
> of buying a set for my city bike (SON powered). The description on
> RoseVersand mail order site is a bit vague - how does this work exactly? It
> appears that there is an accelerometer of some sort, but is it mounted in
> the front or rear lamp?

I have a set on my Hurricane, I'm not sure it's much different from any
similar B&M light setup apart from the DIWA action. I love having the
SON and these lights. You can read some detail about it here on Peter
White's page, if you haven't already:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

> Also, does the front lamp have the usual lumosensor
> built in?

Yes, three settings, off, on permanently with DIWA, and on with DIWA
when it's dark.

LSMike.
My bikes - http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/my-bikes.htm