[b]newbie Having Training Problems[/b]

sunfire67

Feb 21, 2004
I am a newbie to cycling and have just started this summer, I am 32 196lbs. My rides have been only been around 30-40mins and covering a distance between 15-20kms, and my average speed is around 27kph. Hopefully will get longer!!!

I've have been trying to do heart rate training and have figured my max heart rate to be 188. When I have been cycling my heart rate average is around 170, to me this seems a little high, if I slow down my heart rate drops but I don't feel like I'm getting a work out. When I have to climb a hill my rate rate jumps to the 180's and if it is a real steep hill into the low 190's and I have to stop and rest because I get exhausted.

Can anyone help me with what type of trainging I should be doing and the speeds and heart rates I should stay around.

Thanks Dave (Waterdown, ON)

Thanks for the replys from my previous post. My training objectives at this point would be weight lose, cardiovascular/endurance training. I did a triathlon last summer and this year have just become to busy to train for them so I have decided to just try biking to get in shape for next year. My problem I find is that I want to 26 kms per hour but my heart rate is higher then it should be. I am wondering should I rely on cadence/rpm rather then speed to get my heart rate in the proper area?

Dave

Dave,

As your fitness increases, your HR will decrease for given efforts. I wouldn't worry about this stuff too much until you get a few thousand miles under your wheels. If riding by HR, I would try not to ride above a certain HR (70-85%)unless you're having to climb hills and such. Pick a zone and stick with it.

Good luck and keep going!!
L

the 220-age formula for max heart rate is only accurate statistically, and you're not a statistic. You may have a max hr that's above that number. If you've seen heart rates in the low 190s on hills, then had to stop, there's where your real max is.

What you might want to consider is buying one of the training books (Friel or Carmichael are the primary examples I can think of) which describe field tests that you can use to determine a 'threshold' (Friel refers to it as a lactate threshold hear rate, but Ric has tirelessly explained that it probably isn't in various threads here) HR plus a system of zones around that heart rate. Neither of those systems uses max heart rate. The systems are also quite different from one another, so it's important to not mix and match the field tests and zones - use Friel's field test with his zones, and Carmichael's test with his zones.

There's some good information out on the web, as well. Most cycle coaches have web sites that describe their philosophies including their thoughts on zones, etc. Some (including Ric and acogan) have some very informative articles as well.

I would add that for weight loss - especially in the beginning - it's better to go at a moderate HR and for longer than to get too close to your "max". This will also improve endurance and power at a given HR. Most importantly just ride!

GrooveSlave said:
I would add that for weight loss - especially in the beginning - it's better to go at a moderate HR and for longer than to get too close to your "max". This will also improve endurance and power at a given HR. Most importantly just ride!

exactly right.

i am approx the same weight and age and my max HR according to the formula isn't anywhere near my REAL max HR of 210. i know that it i hit 201 or so on a hill i need to back the f*&k off the gas and breathe and shift down. and sadly watch the group walk away. lol.

Even though you don't feel like you are getting in a good work out when you slow down you are doing very important base building training. If you go out and pound the pedals all the time you are going to burn out and or get injured. Try dropping the gear down to an easier push and higher cadence.