-b-o-n-t-r-a-g-e-r-

Merlin

Jun 14, 2002
2 problems...

1: Bontrager Corvair rim: The LBS tells me this rim is "concave" - WTF is this, and what's wrong with it if it is as he says "concave"?...

2: Bontrager Corvair A-Sym rim: The rim is losing shards of metal everyday, very fast, very big, very badly. It is affecting my braking. The LBS gave me new blocks to try, and I told him to #$@% off. Any ideas what is casuing this? My rims are always kept clean. BTW, the A-Sym is only 1.5 monthys old, and I didn't have this problem with the old A-Sym before it.

Concave means concave. Look up the word ina dictionary.

You should replace the brake pads as most likely they are causing this. The shop was right to tell you to replace pads, but seems you were nasty with them.

Why all the nastiness?

Um, in bike terms I have never heard of 'Concave'...

I was wunderin if any of U knew what exactly it entailed...

I am testing out some different blocks atm, and will get back yo you folks in a while...

I only get nasty when people do not deliver right service, or when I have to deal with people who do not deserve their jobs in the first place.

:)

Well you need to apologize to the shop as they ere right in telling you to replace the pads.

The knew exactly what they were talking about.

It is you that has no clue.

Concave rims are concave. When the rims are making a scraping sounds that can only mean the brake pads either need replacement or cleaning.

Xavier...

My problem with the bike shop is...

That THEY initially sold me the brake pads they now tell me are responsible for damaging the rims I bought from THEM.

Understand my anger for them...

Secondly, as for the concave issue, I had never heard of that term before.

Shops are not responsible on how you use the parts.

I sell parts all the time here. I am not responsible if people do not maintain them, replace them when worn or install them properly.

The pads yu got are either worn out or got junk inside that needs cleaning. That simple.

Xavier, don't start a fight here m8. I know what I am talking about when it comes to bikes, and and the biking world.

My problem with the LBS is that (for this exact reason.) I explained to them in detail, and showed them, what I wanted the pads for.

They still sold me the fekn pads, and now tell me that they are responsible for the **** with the rim.

They must fix their problem. I don't accept shoddy service, ever.

The blocks were just over 1 month old, with clear of 2.5 mm rubber OVER the tread line...AND...they were spotless.

Did I miss anything?...

well by concave, i'm guessing they mean the rim is at an angle. maybe to allow for thicker tires while having a thin wheel.

this will make a difference as you'll have to adjust your brake pads so they touch the rim head on, and not at an angle. if your previous rims weren't concave then you'll havbe to change the angle of the pads.

as for the guys at the shop, maybe they made a mistake, but that's no reason to refund or exchage the rims. you didn't have to take their advice. personally, trusting someone who has been working all day and who doesn't reallly care what happens to my bike is not an option.

i only take their advice if i know them personally. like someone who you go to regularly.

Apparently my rims are "concave" in a bad way, as in damaged.

I am upset with the LBS as they tended to the bike, and had hands-on expereicne with the bike when selling me the blocks - IE: THEIR fault.

Merlin said:
Um, in bike terms I have never heard of 'Concave'...

I was wunderin if any of U knew what exactly it entailed...

I am testing out some different blocks atm, and will get back yo you folks in a while...

I only get nasty when people do not deliver right service, or when I have to deal with people who do not deserve their jobs in the first place.

:)
you sure are groutchy. :pIf I knew the answer to any of your questions I would not answer them.

If you have not heard of the word concave how long did you go to school?

mtnrider said:
you sure are groutchy. :pIf I knew the answer to any of your questions I would not answer them.

If you have not heard of the word concave how long did you go to school?

mtnrider...

Firstly, this post is YEARS old.

Secondly, read before you post sh/t - I refered to 'concave' in BIKING TERMS.

No, I ain't grouchy, or grumpy - I just get annoyed responding to people who do before they think.

Cheers.