B-sign (Not V-Sign) - The bikers blessing



P

Peter Fox

Guest
As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I espied a doughty
cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and, being an egg of the good sort,
slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and waited until the road ahead was clear to
overtake leaving lots of room. In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a
bike.

Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes forever' secret sign...

....Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for those moments when
cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car at the time[1])

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to make an O and hold
the other fingers up straight - together these make a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind
you. Do the same thing with your right hand for somebody approaching.

So - as the super-fit, eel-sleek nemesis of lesser riders; you may overtake them, briefly
smile at them through teeth clamped in concentration, and give a quick b-sign to
acknowledge the brotherhood of bicyclists.





[1] Or bus. Hats off to the drivers of Chamber's buses in Colchester. their
consideration for cyclists and the daft things they can get up to should be an example to
all vehicles.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk
 
In article <[email protected]>, Peter Fox
[email protected] says...

> Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes forever' secret sign...
>

Raise a hand, fingers closed, and wiggle your outstretched thumb as if
changing gear. This may not come naturally to roadies. :)
 
Peter Fox wrote:
> As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I
> espied a doughty cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and,
> being an egg of the good sort, slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and
> waited until the road ahead was clear to overtake leaving lots of room.
> In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a bike.
>
> Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes
> forever' secret sign...
>
> ...Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for
> those moments when cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car
> at the time[1])
>
> With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
> make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make a
> 'b'.


Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?
 
On Jan 16, 9:15 am, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Peter Fox wrote:
> > As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I
> > espied a doughty cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and,
> > being an egg of the good sort, slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and
> > waited until the road ahead was clear to overtake leaving lots of room.
> > In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a bike.

>
> > Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes
> > forever' secret sign...

>
> > ...Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for
> > those moments when cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car
> > at the time[1])

>
> > With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
> > make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make a
> > 'b'.

>
> Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?


Try it. It is easily confused with a sign indicating that you believe
the other person to be an onanist.

The alternative sign is the 'microwave' where you keep the fist
clenched but just waggle the little finger.

...d
 
Response to David Martin
> > Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?

>
> Try it. It is easily confused with a sign indicating that you believe
> the other person to be an onanist.
>
> The alternative sign is the 'microwave' where you keep the fist
> clenched but just waggle the little finger.




There's a handy video demonstrating its proper use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nvAFOk7x0



--
Mark, UK
"On the issue of evolution, the verdict is still out on how God created
the Earth."
 
Peter Fox <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>
>With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
>make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make
>a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind you. Do the same thing with your
>right hand for somebody approaching.



I'd rather the OP kept at least one hand on his steering wheel!

--
Sue ];:))

Why aren't we demanding regular retests for motor drivers?
It's obvious a lot of them would fail so that'd solve the congestion problem too.
 
Sue White <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Fox <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
> >
> >With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
> >make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make
> >a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind you. Do the same thing with your
> >right hand for somebody approaching.


> I'd rather the OP kept at least one hand on his steering wheel!


I don't think the OP is suggesting doing the two signs simultaneously.
;-)

Cheers,
Luke


--
Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in
exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>
 

Similar threads