B*st*rds?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was meant to be running last night but do to a power-cut at the university sports centre I ended
    up cycling home instead. On my normal route home I cross the A167 at a point where it is a dual
    carriageway. The lights are set such that the A167 gets to go, both ways, one of the crossing roads
    gets to go, the A167 gets another go and finally the other crossing road gets to go. The phases for
    the two crossing roads are relatively short.

    Anyway, I pull up towards the lights with three cars sat there, see that the opposite road is on
    its turn and so sidle up the inside to the stop line, there's plenty of space. Lights change,
    the relatively quiet (at this time of night) 167 traffic crosses. I see the 167 lights go to red
    and make sure I'm clipped in. Last car goes across in front of me on red (standard practice
    here) and then my amber lights. I start to move but immediately here a siren. I edge forwards
    and see an ambulance tearing up the empty 167 from my right. I put my foot back on the floor to
    wait for it to pass.

    The three drivers behind me decide they can't be arsed waiting and all three of them put their feet
    down. I think, "they must have heard the siren, they must be able to see the lights," but no, all
    three proceed across the ambulance slows and comes to a halt as it almost hits the third car. I
    shrugged my shoulders at the paramedic looking in disbelief in the passenger seat of the ambulance.
    I guess they must see it all the time though.

    So, why do three drivers out of three decide it is better to risk an accident, a consequence of
    which could have been that a person somewhere else entirely dies? Well, this phase on these lights
    is short, then it's a couple of minutes to wait for a full cycle again and had any one of them
    stopped they would have had to have waited a couple of minutes.

    My conclusion. Urban car drivers are irresponsible, selfish bastards. Got that Michael. I would
    hope that every one of them is ashamed of what they did, but you know what, I doubt they even
    give a shit.

    Colin
     
    Tags:


  2. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > So, why do three drivers out of three decide it is better to risk an accident, a consequence of
    > which could have been that a person somewhere else entirely dies? Well, this phase on these lights
    > is short, then it's a couple of minutes to wait for a full cycle again and had any one of them
    > stopped they would have had to have waited a couple of minutes.
    >
    > My conclusion. Urban car drivers are irresponsible, selfish bastards. Got that Michael. I would
    > hope that every one of them is ashamed of what they did, but you know what, I doubt they even
    > give a shit.
    >
    > Colin

    Even I would have called these three drivers 'bastards'. I know there are lots of selfish urban
    drivers out there but not all urban drivers fall into this category. I don't for one. When I'm in my
    car I try to be as cooperative as possible. When I'm on my bike I experience lots of drivers who
    proceed in a thoroughly unselfish manner. I don't like you calling me a 'bastard' just because I
    drive my car in an urban area and I don't think it applies to most of the people I encounter either.
    I detest this sort of generalisation that can equally well be experienced when racists, sexists and
    other discriminators get on their platforms. It breeds hatred and I don't think that hatred is good.
    I do understand the humour of the original article although I think that it is poor taste of a
    national newspaper to print such a thing. I think that the writer of the article was being funny
    when writing 'all urban drivers are motorists' and I don't think that this really is his/her
    opinion. But you've made it quite clear that it's yours. You're entitled to it but I don't respect
    you for it.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote: <snipped story of impatient prats pushing in front of ambulance> I work right
    next to four hospitals, so there's a fair amount of ambulance traffic with lights & siren. The roads
    are also heavily bottlenecked. Almost without fail when I see an ambulance barrelling up, one driver
    will tuck themselves in to the kerb in good time and the driver behind them will use the opportunity
    to overtake right in front of the ambulance, generally finding nowhere to actually go now the
    ambulance is right on their tail.

    And one absolute classic of incompetancy in the depths of Oxfordshire; in my car, driving on one
    section of ex-Roman B-road, straight but narrow. 1/2 a mile ahead, at a bend, a car comes barrelling
    round with a police car behind it, lights & siren. I wasn't sure if it was a chase or what, so I
    tucked myself up into the hedge to leave as much room as possible, maybe a car and a half width. Car
    continues to approach at ~60 mph...and evidently doesn't register that there's something behind it
    wailing and flashing and now evidently trying to overtake rather than chase (but can't, since the
    road is sufficiently narrow that overtaking/passing has to be done at snail's pace). Until it gets
    within a hundred yards of me. Then the driver realises he maybe, like, should stop. So indicates
    left and slows gently in the approved manner.

    Coming to a stop right beside me.

    Looks of blank amazement from the cops, now frantically tooting and waving.

    Driver starts to reverse.

    R.
     
  4. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > I think that the writer of the article was being funny when writing 'all urban drivers are
    > motorists' and I don't think that this really is his/her opinion.

    I'm sure it is her opinion since it would seem to be a tautological fact.

    Colin
     
  5. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > I was meant to be running last night but do to a power-cut at the university sports centre I ended
    > up cycling home instead. On my normal route home I cross the A167 at a point where it is a dual
    > carriageway. The lights are set such that the A167 gets to go, both ways, one of the crossing
    > roads gets to go, the A167 gets another go and finally the other crossing road gets to go. The
    > phases for the two crossing roads are relatively short.
    >
    > Anyway, I pull up towards the lights with three cars sat there, see that the opposite road is on
    > its turn and so sidle up the inside to the stop line, there's plenty of space. Lights change, the
    > relatively quiet (at this time of night) 167 traffic crosses. I see the 167 lights go to red and
    > make sure I'm clipped in. Last car goes across in front of me on red (standard practice here) and
    > then my amber lights. I start to move but immediately here a siren. I edge forwards and see an
    > ambulance tearing up the empty 167 from my right. I put my foot back on the floor to wait for it
    > to pass.
    >
    > The three drivers behind me decide they can't be arsed waiting and all three of them put their
    > feet down. I think, "they must have heard the siren, they must be able to see the lights," but no,
    > all three proceed across the ambulance slows and comes to a halt as it almost hits the third car.
    > I shrugged my shoulders at the paramedic looking in disbelief in the passenger seat of the
    > ambulance. I guess they must see it all the time though.
    >
    > So, why do three drivers out of three decide it is better to risk an accident, a consequence of
    > which could have been that a person somewhere else entirely dies? Well, this phase on these lights
    > is short, then it's a couple of minutes to wait for a full cycle again and had any one of them
    > stopped they would have had to have waited a couple of minutes.
    >
    > My conclusion. Urban car drivers are irresponsible, selfish bastards. Got that Michael. I would
    > hope that every one of them is ashamed of what they did, but you know what, I doubt they even
    > give a shit.
    >
    > Colin
    Even I would have called these three drivers 'bastards'. I know there are lots of selfish urban
    drivers out there but not all urban drivers fall into this category. I don't for one. When I'm in
    my car I try to be as cooperative as possible. When I'm on my bike I experience lots of drivers who
    proceed in a thoroughly unselfish manner. I don't like you calling me a 'bastard' just because I
    drive my car in an urban area and I don't think it applies to most of the people I encounter
    either. I detest this sort of generalisation that can equally well be experienced when racists,
    sexists and other discriminators get on their platforms. It breeds hatred and I don't think that
    hatred is good. I do understand the humour of the original article although I think that it is poor
    taste of a national newspaper to print such a thing. I think that the writer of the article was
    being funny when writing 'all urban drivers are bastards' and I don't think that this really is
    his/her opinion. But you've made it quite clear that it's yours. You're entitled to it but I don't
    respect you for it.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  6. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >> I think that the writer of the article was being funny when writing 'all urban drivers are
    >> motorists' and I don't think that this really is his/her opinion.
    >
    > I'm sure it is her opinion since it would seem to be a tautological fact.
    >
    > Colin

    Well, someone else has already implied today that I might be intellectually challenged and here's
    further proof. :)

    I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. What I should have typed was 'all urban drivers are bastards'
    as you well know.

    Hope you enjoyed your cheap laugh.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  7. Colin Blackburn wrote: The laugh was free but not vindictive.
    >
    > Colin

    If you say so.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. What I should have typed was 'all urban drivers are
    > bastards' as you well know.
    >
    > Hope you enjoyed your cheap laugh.

    Jeez, everyone makes typos, sometimes they turn out to be funny sometimes they don't. James' 'years'
    for 'yards' was funny. Yours was funnyish. The laugh was free but not vindictive.

    Colin
     
  9. Colin Blackburn wrote: ...
    > The three drivers behind me decide they can't be arsed waiting and all three of them put their
    > feet down. I think, "they must have heard the siren, they must be able to see the lights," but no,
    > all three proceed across the ambulance slows and comes to a halt as it almost hits the third car.
    > I shrugged my shoulders at the paramedic looking in disbelief in the passenger seat of the
    > ambulance. I guess they must see it all the time though.

    I should think the first driver is still thinking "But I had plenty of time, dunno why the others
    followed me", the second "I would have had plenty of time if the bastard in front had stepped on it,
    as was clearly indicated", and the third "I was only following their lead, why did they go if there
    wasn't time?".

    --
    Patrick Herring http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/cgi-bin/makeperson?P.Herring
     
  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > I should think the first driver is still thinking "But I had plenty of time, dunno why the others
    > followed me", the second "I would have had plenty of time if the bastard in front had stepped on
    > it, as was clearly indicated", and the third "I was only following their lead, why did they go if
    > there wasn't time?".

    Three tailgating SEPs!

    Colin
     
  11. [snip]
    >
    > Driver starts to reverse.
    >
    > R.

    ROFL

    I can't stop laughing! This isn't really funny, considering the circumstances, but, I
    mean, really...

    --
    Andy @ work
    Note: This message may contain traces of sarcasm
     
  12. G S Banner

    G S Banner Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was meant to be running last night but do to a power-cut at the university sports centre I ended
    > up cycling home instead. On my normal route home I cross the A167 at a point where it is a dual
    > carriageway. The lights are set such that the A167 gets to go, both ways, one of the crossing
    > roads gets to go, the A167 gets another go and finally the other crossing road gets to go. The
    > phases for the two crossing roads are relatively short.
    >
    > Anyway, I pull up towards the lights with three cars sat there, see that the opposite road is on
    > its turn and so sidle up the inside to the stop line, there's plenty of space. Lights change, the
    > relatively quiet (at this time of night) 167 traffic crosses. I see the 167 lights go to red and
    > make sure I'm clipped in. Last car goes across in front of me on red (standard practice here) and
    > then my amber lights. I start to move but immediately here a siren. I edge forwards and see an
    > ambulance tearing up the empty 167 from my right. I put my foot back on the floor to wait for it
    > to pass.
    >
    > The three drivers behind me decide they can't be arsed waiting and all three of them put their
    > feet down. I think, "they must have heard the siren, they must be able to see the lights," but no,
    > all three proceed across the ambulance slows and comes to a halt as it almost hits the third car.
    > I shrugged my shoulders at the paramedic looking in disbelief in the passenger seat of the
    > ambulance. I guess they must see it all the time though.
    >
    > So, why do three drivers out of three decide it is better to risk an accident, a consequence of
    > which could have been that a person somewhere else entirely dies? Well, this phase on these lights
    > is short, then it's a couple of minutes to wait for a full cycle again and had any one of them
    > stopped they would have had to have waited a couple of minutes.
    >
    > My conclusion. Urban car drivers are irresponsible, selfish bastards. Got that Michael. I would
    > hope that every one of them is ashamed of what they did, but you know what, I doubt they even
    > give a shit.
    >
    > Colin

    This is an illuminating tale of idiocy, but I think your last para lets *you* down. Try re-reading
    your account, but replacing the references to "drivers" with (say) "paki", "darkie" "chinkie" or
    "jew". Your conclusion "Urban paki/black/chinese/jewish car drivers are ..." doesn't read too well
    any more. In fact, it suggests that you're something of a bigot.

    Applying a characteristic of a small sample to a group of people with something in common can be a
    very dangerous line of thinking.
     
  13. G S Banner wrote:
    > This is an illuminating tale of idiocy, but I think your last para lets *you* down. Try re-reading
    > your account, but replacing the references to "drivers" with (say) "paki", "darkie" "chinkie" or
    > "jew". Your conclusion "Urban paki/black/chinese/jewish car drivers are ..." doesn't read too well
    > any more. In fact, it suggests that you're something of a bigot.
    >
    > Applying a characteristic of a small sample to a group of people with something in common can be a
    > very dangerous line of thinking.

    Thank you, G S Banner. I thought I was the only person on this NG who found Colin's comment
    objectionable. Indeed, I was told I was the only one.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  14. Marc wrote:
    > Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed, I was told I was the only one.
    >
    > That was to shut you up!

    A voice crying in the wilderness.
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Indeed, I was told I was the only one.

    That was to shut you up!
     
  16. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Indeed, I was told I was the only one.
    > >
    > > That was to shut you up!
    >
    > A voice crying in the wilderness.

    I often start out like that.
     
  17. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > ..........I see the 167 lights go to red and make sure I'm clipped in. Last car goes across in
    > front of me on red (standard practice here) and then my amber lights. I start to move but
    > immediately here a siren. I edge forwards and see an ambulance tearing up the empty 167 from my
    > right. I put my foot back on the floor to wait for it to pass.
    >
    > The three drivers behind me decide they can't be arsed waiting and all three of them put their
    > feet down.

    Did you really not hear the ambulance before the lights changed? Could you not have given the
    drivers a stop sign? Not that you are obliged to, but it is something cyclists often /can/ do when
    waiting at the head of junctions.

    Not being in entombed in a near-sound proof low tin box, cyclists hear and see the ambulance/fire
    engine/police car long before motorists have a clue about it. Most drivers won't disobey you if your
    signal looks clear and urgent. It's what I've done a good few times, even blocking the way until the
    emergency vehicle has passed.

    ~PB
     
  18. In article <[email protected]>, pLime {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...
    >
    > Did you really not hear the ambulance before the lights changed?

    No, there was no siren *until* the lights changed. The A167 was clear, I suspect the siren was
    turned on because the ambulance was approaching a set of lights on red.

    > Could you not have given the drivers a stop sign? Not that you are obliged to, but it is something
    > cyclists often /can/ do when waiting at the head of junctions.

    I stopped just after I'd started to pull off but I did not think for one second that the cars would
    proceed. By the time I realised that they had, they had.

    I'll know different next time.

    > Not being in entombed in a near-sound proof low tin box, cyclists hear and see the ambulance/fire
    > engine/police car long before motorists have a clue about it. Most drivers won't disobey you if
    > your signal looks clear and urgent. It's what I've done a good few times, even blocking the way
    > until the emergency vehicle has passed.

    All three cars went across that crossing much faster than cars normally go across that crossing. The
    fact that the first car set off at such speed suggested to me that the driver knew full well that
    that the ambulance was approaching and wanted to get across before it.

    Maybe a signal from me would have helped. If I ever get a chance to repeat the experiment than I
    will use Paul Smiths universal signal.

    Colin
     
  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > This is an illuminating tale of idiocy, but I think your last para lets *you* down. Try re-reading
    > your account, but replacing the references to "drivers" with (say) "paki", "darkie" "chinkie" or
    > "jew". Your conclusion "Urban paki/black/chinese/jewish car drivers are ..." doesn't read too well
    > any more. In fact, it suggests that you're something of a bigot.

    When it comes to drivers it seems, in all other spheres I'm a bit of a wet pinko liberal anarchist.

    Colin
     
  20. G S Banner <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>My conclusion. Urban car drivers are irresponsible, selfish bastards.
    >This is an illuminating tale of idiocy, but I think your last para lets *you* down. Try
    >re-reading your account, but replacing the references to "drivers" with (say) "paki", "darkie"
    >"chinkie" or "jew".

    Drivers choose to drive. The difference is quite significant.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...