[B]TCR versus OCR Frameset - is it really worth the extra cash?[/B]

Gilders

Nov 1, 2003
TCR versus OCR Frameset - is it really worth the extra cash?

Posted question the other day about upgrading my OCR1 2004 for a TCR 2004 with Ultegra groupset (the aluminium frame one).

Question revolved around what a worthy price was for my somewhat modified, exceedingly well-kept bike (ITM Millenium seatpost, Shimano R540<105> wheels & Michelin Pro-Race, Bodyfit Viper saddle and cartridge brake block upgrades), as LBS had offered £500 for a trade-in.

Received a helpful response from s/o, who said it would make better sense to just upgrade the groupset to Ultegra, as all that TCR had over the OCR was just this (both have carbon forks now).

So, IYHOs, do you agree? Would I feel/gain much benefit from spending out alot more cash for this TCR rather than just upgrading the OCR groupset? Is there a discernable difference in performance and ride that I, a 2000 mile-per-year rider, would notice?

Or is it just a rip off?

Any advice much appreciated!

Gilders

p.s. and HOW MUCH should I consider selling my bike for!?!?!?!? ;)

Can't really answer your question, I just bought a TCR recently, & am very happy with it so far, but I'd probably also be happy with an OCR 1.

if it was me, i would just upgrade to Ultegra and leave the rest unless you can dig a little deeper in your pockets to get the full carbon frame/fork TCR

i said this in a few otehr posts and should probably just put it in my sig, but i found the best prices for components online at www.jensonusa.com I can't remember for sure but I think I paid $400 US, for full Ultegra minus the hubs and headset.

Not much difference between the OCR and TCR frames, except for one: The TCR design has shorter chain stays, which makes it difficult to use a triple crank.