B4 a Virus hits

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper crop
    of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case. Does
    anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some virus/worm
    get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

    Tags:

  2. For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper crop
    of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case. Does
    anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some virus/worm
    get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  3. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system) and
    go to something better.

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    > crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    > Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    > have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    > virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  4. Paul Bruneau

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    > crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    > Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    > have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    > virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  5. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Those dang out-of-work engineers with too much time on their hands!

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    > For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    2003
    > will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    > firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    purge
    > the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around
    > 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    have
    > some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  6. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    From an article in PC WORLD:

    If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
    and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address book
    and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in your
    book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.

    Regards,

    Mike O'Brien

    Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

    | For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    2003
    | will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    | firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    purge
    | the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around
    | 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    have
    | some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  7. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Those dang out-of-work engineers with too much time on their hands!

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    > For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    2003
    > will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    > firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    purge
    > the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around
    > 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    have
    > some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  8. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    From an article in PC WORLD:

    If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
    and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address book
    and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in your
    book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.

    Regards,

    Mike O'Brien

    Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

    | For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    2003
    | will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    | firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    purge
    | the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around
    | 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    have
    | some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  9. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    >crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    >Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    >have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    >virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

    Best way I can think of: Uinstall Outlook and replace it with a 100% ASCII reader like Agent from
    www.ForteInc.com - then you'll be immune to HTML viruses.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  10. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    >crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    >Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    >have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    >virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

    Best way I can think of: Uinstall Outlook and replace it with a 100% ASCII reader like Agent from
    www.ForteInc.com - then you'll be immune to HTML viruses.
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  11. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.
    >
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    >> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    >> crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    >> Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    >> have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    >> virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

    I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail, and http://xnews.newsguy.com/ for
    newsread. Both are the easiest and most flexible I've used. Now if I could just find an alternate
    browser that I could say the same about... rorschandt

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.

    I agree. I only use Outlook when required (like here at the office). For personal mail (here and
    home) I use Pocomail ( http://www.pocomail.com/ ) and for a newsreader, I use Gravity (
    http://cws.internet.com/news-gravity.html )

    Paul is correct, Outlook functions best as the 'perfect virus distribution system'.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    Mike, Does that work for Outlook's address book also?

    "Mike O'Brien" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%mfV9.72048$%[email protected]:

    > From an article in PC WORLD:
    >
    > If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
    > and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address
    > book and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in
    > your book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike O'Brien
    >
    > Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's
    >
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >| For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    > 2003
    >| will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    >| firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    > purge
    >| the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    > around
    >| 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    > have
    >| some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  14. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.
    >
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    >> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
    >> crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
    >> Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
    >> have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
    >> virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

    I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail, and http://xnews.newsguy.com/ for
    newsread. Both are the easiest and most flexible I've used. Now if I could just find an alternate
    browser that I could say the same about... rorschandt

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.

    I agree. I only use Outlook when required (like here at the office). For personal mail (here and
    home) I use Pocomail ( http://www.pocomail.com/ ) and for a newsreader, I use Gravity (
    http://cws.internet.com/news-gravity.html )

    Paul is correct, Outlook functions best as the 'perfect virus distribution system'.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  16. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    Mike, Does that work for Outlook's address book also?

    "Mike O'Brien" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%mfV9.72048$%[email protected]:

    > From an article in PC WORLD:
    >
    > If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
    > and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address
    > book and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in
    > your book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike O'Brien
    >
    > Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's
    >
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >| For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    > 2003
    >| will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    >| firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    > purge
    >| the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    > around
    >| 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    > have
    >| some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

  17. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    "Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.

    It wouldn't be such a problem if people just installed the updates (which can now be done
    automatically). Only 1 new vulnerability in OE was found in 2002, but because most people still had
    old versions of outlook (and especially outlook express) all the old vulnerabilities still led to
    lots of infections and lost data thanks to new viruses/worms which were effectively just the old
    ones with a new name (and sometimes a slightly different payload).

    Not getting the patches is a bit like not replacing worn out brake pads. Go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com now and download all critical updates if you haven't done so
    recently and you'll be surprisingly 'safe'.

    This isn't to say that dumping outlook isn't a good solution also - it is, but a lot of people
    have an irrational phobia with regards to using a new program - even if it uses all the same
    basic concepts.

    Mads

    NB: personally I have found time and again that anti-virus programs simply end up causing more
    problems than they solve.

  18. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    "Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
    > and go to something better.

    It wouldn't be such a problem if people just installed the updates (which can now be done
    automatically). Only 1 new vulnerability in OE was found in 2002, but because most people still had
    old versions of outlook (and especially outlook express) all the old vulnerabilities still led to
    lots of infections and lost data thanks to new viruses/worms which were effectively just the old
    ones with a new name (and sometimes a slightly different payload).

    Not getting the patches is a bit like not replacing worn out brake pads. Go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com now and download all critical updates if you haven't done so
    recently and you'll be surprisingly 'safe'.

    This isn't to say that dumping outlook isn't a good solution also - it is, but a lot of people
    have an irrational phobia with regards to using a new program - even if it uses all the same
    basic concepts.

    Mads

    NB: personally I have found time and again that anti-virus programs simply end up causing more
    problems than they solve.

  19. My Norton quarantined a malicious attachment this evening called ...
    [email protected] I have no idea what it is or does, but it's gone, gone, gone.

    16 degree mornings in Philadelphia lately - and I'm a caged wimp, driving to work with the heater
    blasting. Longer days are coming! Jon Shinefeld

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
    2003
    > >will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
    > >firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
    purge
    > >the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
    around
    > >500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
    have
    > >some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA
    >
    > Best way I can think of: Uinstall Outlook and replace it with a 100%
    ASCII
    > reader like Agent from www.ForteInc.com - then you'll be immune to HTML
    viruses.
    > Pete Cresswell

  20. My Norton quarantined a malicious attachment this evening called ...