B4 a Virus hits

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper crop
of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case. Does
anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some virus/worm
get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper crop
of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case. Does
anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some virus/worm
get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system) and
go to something better.

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
> crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
> Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
> have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
> virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

Those dang out-of-work engineers with too much time on their hands!

--
Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
2003
> will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
> firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
purge
> the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around
> 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
have
> some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

From an article in PC WORLD:

If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address book
and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in your
book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

| For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
2003
| will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
| firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
purge
| the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around
| 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
have
| some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

Those dang out-of-work engineers with too much time on their hands!

--
Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
2003
> will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
> firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
purge
> the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around
> 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
have
> some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

From an article in PC WORLD:

If you have to use Outlook Express create a phony address in your address book called *virus-trap
and us the following as the address: <illegaladdress If a worm tries to take over your address book
and send messages it will stop processing at this address which will be the first address in your
book and cannot process further. Make sure the name and email address are exactly as above.

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

| For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how
2003
| will have a bumper crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my
| firewalls...but just in case. Does anyone know how I can
purge
| the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I have
around
| 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to
have
| some virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

RE/
>For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
>crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
>Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
>have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
>virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

Best way I can think of: Uinstall Outlook and replace it with a 100% ASCII reader like Agent from
www.ForteInc.com - then you'll be immune to HTML viruses.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

RE/

Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
> and go to something better.
>
> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>> For Cletus and anyone else in2 computers. I have been reading about how 2003 will have a bumper
>> crop of virus attacks and I am fairly protected via McAfee and my firewalls...but just in case.
>> Does anyone know how I can purge the email addresses from my MS-Outlook Express "Address Book". I
>> have around 500 email addresses of people from ARBR and IHPV stored and I'd hate to have some
>> virus/worm get in their and then nail everyone. TIA

I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail, and http://xnews.newsguy.com/ for
newsread. Both are the easiest and most flexible I've used. Now if I could just find an alternate
browser that I could say the same about... rorschandt

> To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
> and go to something better.

I agree. I only use Outlook when required (like here at the office). For personal mail (here and
home) I use Pocomail ( http://www.pocomail.com/ ) and for a newsreader, I use Gravity (
http://cws.internet.com/news-gravity.html )

Paul is correct, Outlook functions best as the 'perfect virus distribution system'.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Mike, Does that work for Outlook's address book also?

"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
> and go to something better.

It wouldn't be such a problem if people just installed the updates (which can now be done
automatically). Only 1 new vulnerability in OE was found in 2002, but because most people still had
old versions of outlook (and especially outlook express) all the old vulnerabilities still led to
lots of infections and lost data thanks to new viruses/worms which were effectively just the old
ones with a new name (and sometimes a slightly different payload).

Not getting the patches is a bit like not replacing worn out brake pads. Go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com now and download all critical updates if you haven't done so
recently and you'll be surprisingly 'safe'.

This isn't to say that dumping outlook isn't a good solution also - it is, but a lot of people
have an irrational phobia with regards to using a new program - even if it uses all the same
basic concepts.

Mads

NB: personally I have found time and again that anti-virus programs simply end up causing more
problems than they solve.

"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> To avoid virtually all chance of infection, dump Outlook (the perfect virus distrubution system)
> and go to something better.

It wouldn't be such a problem if people just installed the updates (which can now be done
automatically). Only 1 new vulnerability in OE was found in 2002, but because most people still had
old versions of outlook (and especially outlook express) all the old vulnerabilities still led to
lots of infections and lost data thanks to new viruses/worms which were effectively just the old
ones with a new name (and sometimes a slightly different payload).

Not getting the patches is a bit like not replacing worn out brake pads. Go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com now and download all critical updates if you haven't done so
recently and you'll be surprisingly 'safe'.

This isn't to say that dumping outlook isn't a good solution also - it is, but a lot of people
have an irrational phobia with regards to using a new program - even if it uses all the same
basic concepts.

Mads

NB: personally I have found time and again that anti-virus programs simply end up causing more
problems than they solve.

My Norton quarantined a malicious attachment this evening called ...
W32.Sobig.A@mm. I have no idea what it is or does, but it's gone, gone, gone.

16 degree mornings in Philadelphia lately - and I'm a caged wimp, driving to work with the heater
blasting. Longer days are coming! Jon Shinefeld