B4 a Virus hits

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike, Does that work for Outlook's address book also?

It doesn't work for either for any but the most brain dead virus smtp program and engine. Any virus
that has an internal smtp engine and is written for Outlook recognizes that there is an issue with
fax addresses in Outlook and simply disregards invalid email addresses. About once a month (or more
often) the Microsoft engineers on the MS lists detail why no email address trap works to stop any
but the extremely simple-minded viruses.

Virus writers are similar to prisoners in a jail. When we started working at the Dc Jail, the first
thing they tell (or near abouts) is that eventually the prisoners will outsmart you, even the dumb
ones. You have other things to think about; they are focused on working the system 18-20 hours a
day. Same with virus writers They have email groups and communicate. You see a mention of email
traps once in a while, a bit more if you run a network and are on technical lists. They discuss them
far more often. An email address trap - even if there was a legitimate, valid one - is not a
substitute for a firewall and (current) virus program. Get a real firewall and see how often it gets
attacked and really start to worry...

--
Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:07:52 -0600, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

>I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail

Been using it for years, excellent little program with no pretensions to be anything other than what
it is. Also allows you to view messages without images, which is helpful in avoiding spam, since the
often contain images with query strings which identify your email address as a live one.

>Now if I could just find an alternate browser that I could say the same about...

I've been using Mozilla and Opera lately - Opera in particular is very good.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "rorschandt" skrev
>> I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail, and http://xnews.newsguy.com/ for
>> newsread. Both are the easiest and most flexible I've used. Now if I could just find an alternate
>> browser that I could say the same about...
>
> Theres a norwegian one called Opera I have heard good things about. Think you can get it free but
> with ads or pay a modest amount and be rid of them.
>
> http://www.opera.com/

Thanks. I've tried previous versions of Opera. It wasn't easy for me,

rorschandt

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "rorschandt" skrev
>> I recommend http://www.pocomail.com/purchase.html for mail, and http://xnews.newsguy.com/ for
>> newsread. Both are the easiest and most flexible I've used. Now if I could just find an alternate
>> browser that I could say the same about...
>
> Theres a norwegian one called Opera I have heard good things about. Think you can get it free but
> with ads or pay a modest amount and be rid of them.
>
> http://www.opera.com/

Thanks. I've tried previous versions of Opera. It wasn't easy for me,

rorschandt

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote

| An email address trap - even if there was a legitimate, valid one - is not
a substitute for a
| firewall and (current) virus program. Get a real firewall and see how
often
| it gets attacked and really start to worry...

Well yeah! I have email trap, good anti virus program and a real firewall. But you never know eh?

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:47:50 -0500, "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get a real firewall and see how often it gets attacked and really start to worry...

One of the many reasona I like to use a router as my main point of connection to the net. I do
remember sending my ISP a log from my firewall showing a concerted attack from another user on the
network. They sent ma back a form letter advising me to get a firewall (and the log came
from?.....). It doesn't take long to realise you're on your own.

And my web server logs are full of distinctive Nimda / Code Red exploits which might even be a
concern if it weren't for the fact that I wouldn't use IIS if Microsoft paid me to :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.