B6 Vs B12

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Napalm73, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Napalm73

Napalm73 New Member

Hi All,

Have never really taken multivitamins but think that my diet maybe lacking vitamins.

Have read that B6 and B12 are good for cycling. Does anyone have an opinon on these? Which is better. What multivitamins contain high levels of both?

Someone also told me the vitamin C was good but could reduce the effectiveness of the B12.

Thanks in advance,

Napalm1973

Tags:

2. iliveonnitro

iliveonnitro New Member

The "better" vitamin is the one in which you are deficient. An overload of vitamins and/or minerals at best does nothing and at worst is harmful to your health.

If you are concerned about a vitamin B deficiency, your best bet is to eat more dark green vegetables.

3. Napalm73

Napalm73 New Member

Cheers. Read that a lot of pro's take vitamin B. Would thought that their diets would already be high in vitamin B.

4. iliveonnitro

iliveonnitro New Member

A lot of pros in the '90s and '00s used the excuse that their shots were not doping, but rather vitamin shots. Even if they didn't know better, it's what they were told. Even today, don't listen to what pros say, as most of it is just speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt.

5. jaboru

jaboru New Member

I've studied in university that a high quantity of B Vitamins are very helpful for endurance sports like cycling, but of course we don't have to exceed in taking it.

6. King Plum

King Plum New Member

This is kind of a cool thread because it saves me from writing a similar question.

Back in the early '90s, yes, for a pick me up, advertised widely was "Sublingual B" if people have heard of that, it's just a "B" complex vitamin mixture in a bottle with an eye dropper like thing and "sub-lingual", I'm sure most know, meant putting it under the tongue, wait 30 seconds, ingest(?) or whatever the proper word is, the vitamin in this manner. I think Red Bull, etc. have a lot of that in them and it even seems to have similar tastes.

I read Paul Kimmage's "Rough Ride" some time ago and he said they'd get the injection in the read end of Vitamin B-12 and I can see we have knowledgeable people here, and they take vitamin C tablets too (Vitamin C must be good all around, colds and I've always heard it helps healing maybe, tired muscles).

It made me wonder what the dosages are all about, I'd think taking a dropper of B complex couldn't be all that much in comparison with what the pros had.

And I'm sure racers were told at times, they were just getting vitamins and often got more but I'm sure there were a good number of times too, that they got what they were told as well.

Anyway, good question, good answers. :confused: I hate to go on too much, first, I went ahead and got another sublingual B vitamin dropper the other day, I saw it at the store just to see what it was like nowadays. I think I read to an extent it helps with red blood cells but I don't have a real handle on it.

With multi-vitamins, obviously, one doesn't want to flush their money down the toilet by seeing the vitamins come out in urine. What I've started doing is breaking multi-vitamins in half and I don't have any problems. Another problem with vitamin doses too can be, pardon me for saying but honestly, flatulence too I believe. But now, I have a bottle of halved multi vitamin pills, take one, maybe take another six hours or so later.

7. genedan

genedan New Member

I'm not exactly sure if you should take B vitamin supplements if you're not deficient...

I actually experimented with a B supplement once and all it did was make my pee turn green...

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Someone tell Kimmage what was really in that big syringe of stuff that his soigneur was poking in his butt cheeks...

If you're massively deficient in B12 then you can become anemic. Needless to say you need a visit to the doc to confirm this. If you're iron deficient then vitamin C and B12 can aid absorption. Vitamin B6 has been proven useful for iron excretion - good for those cases where the body has too much iron.

If you think that something is up and you NEED a supplement then go see your doc first.

9. michellebrown1

michellebrown1 New Member

Well, From my point of view Vitamin B12 is water soluble, and amazingly it can be stored in the human body for several years, so deficiency is rare. Vitamin B6 is water soluble, and therefore cannot be stored in the body; the body will naturally excrete excess vitamin B6 via urination. For vitamin B12 adults 18 and over should take 2.6 micrograms per day.

10. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Elites and Pros often do extreme things to their bodies to get the maximum performance. It isn't always a good idea to emulate them, especially long term.

That being said it probably won't harm a thing if you take a multi vitamin to top up anything your diet is lacking. They are generally made with very safe limits on specific vitamins so getting an overdose is pretty hard to do. That is the only extra vitamin I take, except a Vit D pill in the winter months (up North we see little sun)

11. RoyalDutchShell

RoyalDutchShell New Member

Some vitamins are absorbed much better by injection (B12 for example). If you are training and racing lots, the stresses of the workload make it hard to keep your levels at 100% with a normal/healthy diet.

A multivitamin is a good general insurance, but if you are serious about your health, get a thorough blood test done- otherwise you are wasting your time, money and maybe overdosing on certain vitamins/minerals by supplementing a lot. It's basically guesswork unless you can check your levels "objectively"...

It's worth reading up on various vitamins and minerals and informing yourself a bit. It's valuable to know for your health for the rest of your life, and you can also make sure to ask your doctor to test for certain vitamins/minerals that she/he would probably otherwise not bother with...
    :)

12. kennymevrick

kennymevrick New Member

Vitamins are really important for human body and it really necessary for our body to get stamina power. synthetic vitamins are not the real thing, and have limited benefits, Eating a healthy balance diet of fruits vegetables, nuts, yogurt, milk and meats will fill any vitamin deficiencies you may have. Two of the most important vitamins which are vital for our survival are vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.