Baby steps

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skiur, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.

    These are the steps I've take so far:
    1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    in the past.

    2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things like
    salad dressing.

    3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this works better some days more
    than others.

    4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I switched to WOW chips (no fat, 70
    calories per serving). I really like chips and I don't feel like it's a diet when I can have
    them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    sandwich for lunch.

    My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    normalization.

    The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.

    Julie

    Tags:

  2. All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
    again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of repetition.

    Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome these
    tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these feelings.
    Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise quiets the noise
    of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.

    Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.

    Prairie Roots

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:04:24 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    >These are the steps I've take so far:
    >1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have in
    > the past.
    >
    >2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.
    >
    >3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this works better some days more
    > than others.
    >
    >4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I switched to WOW chips (no fat,
    > 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and I don't feel like it's a diet when I can have
    > them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    > sandwich for lunch.
    >
    >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    >have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    >normalization.
    >
    >The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >
    >Julie

  3. Laura

    Laura Guest

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in the past.

    Journaling seems to keep us honest about what/how much we have eaten. It is so easy to forget from
    meal to meal how much little stuff we consume. Always writing it down means that you have
    acknowledged that you have actually eaten it. I think it also helps me know how many points I have
    left for dinner/snack without going over or dipping into my flexpoints when eating at home. I tend
    to reserve them for eating out or special unplanned events.

    > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.

    The only foods that I have avoided are pizza and chocolate. Not because I think they are bad but
    because I can't seem to control myself. Avoidance sometimes helps keep things under control. So has
    individual sized portions of meals and icecream.

    > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    works
    > better some days more than others.

    This has been a big one for me too. My husband cooks dinner and has historically served portions
    meant for a he-man. I now have him "trained" to weigh and measure my dinner. We also now eat a lot
    more green veggies for dinner with the occasional rice or potatos. He cooks less food than he used
    to so less is available for seconds. What's on my plate initially is usually all that I will eat for
    dinner. I also know that I have some points left over for a snack later if I am still hungry or get
    the munchies.

    > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    switched
    > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease
    > myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.

    In addition to the WOW chips, I discovered Soy Crisps and snack size 94% FF popcorn for evening
    snacks. Just make sure that you are drinking enough water to help flush out the extra salt that you
    are consuming.

    Week 4s WW booklet is all about making healthy substitutions to help cut back on points. Things like
    reduced calorie mayo, sugar substitutes, applesauce for oil, sugar substitutes to name a few. Making
    changes each week towards a healthy WOE helps the WW journey. Just remember that these are changes
    that you want to make for the rest of your life. If you can't live with that change the rest of your
    life then you probably should not do it.

    > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    > have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    > normalization.

    Try increasing your water. It may take some time for you body to adjust/flush out the Xenadrine from
    your system.

    > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.

    And as the weight starts coming off, you feel better every day.

    Good luck.

  4. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    sounds Good.!

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in the past.
    >
    > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.
    >
    > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    works
    > better some days more than others.
    >
    > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    switched
    > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease
    > myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.
    >
    > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    > have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    > normalization.
    >
    > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >
    > Julie

  5. Pick the higher weight. You have made a great start, good luck, Lee
    skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in the past.
    >
    > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.
    >
    > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    works
    > better some days more than others.
    >
    > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    switched
    > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease
    > myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.
    >
    > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    > have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    > normalization.
    >
    > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >
    > Julie

  6. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    skiur wrote:

    > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in the past.
    >
    > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.
    >
    > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this works better some days more
    > than others.
    >
    > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I switched to WOW chips (no fat,
    > 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and I don't feel like it's a diet when I can have
    > them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    > sandwich for lunch.
    >
    > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    > have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    > normalization.
    >
    > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >
    > Julie

    I've also worked out a few things to keep me on track:

    If I can pig out on saussages and chips (fries) here once a week, I stay sane, so I have two thick
    low fat saussages for 1.5 points each, and low fat oven chips. I fill the plate with low to no point
    vegetables and salad. I've never been a big fan of things like crisps (USA chips) or other potato
    snacks, so not having them isn't a problem for me.

    I ration chocolate: this is easy for me after the gall bladder experience (last June I ended up in
    hospital with accute coliocystitus, and such a severe infection and inflamation that they would not
    operate for fear of peritonitus! After that, avoiding trigger foods was a doddle!). DH brought home
    some really good nugat this week, but it was all in Cadbury's Milk Tray sized bits, and I rationed
    myself to one bit per day, for a point a piece.

    If I go over my points for a day by one or two, I DO NOT beat myself up over it: I live on carrot
    and corriander soup the following day! I ditched guilt about food when I started this downward
    journey: I thought there was no point in feeling guilty about eating things I liked, I just tried to
    ration the treats and cook food I really like but is healthier than some more traditional recipes
    for the same things. Most of the time this works fine. We had guests for dinner today, so I did a
    really good WW chicken and mushroom Stroganoff with rice (3 points for the Stroganoff, 3 for the
    rice), and followed it with an adaptation of creme brulee for 3 points (made in ramekins, so NO
    seconds!), and I used some saved points for a pre-prandial glass of mead and two glasses of white
    wine. Altogether, dinner was 15 points, so I've has 23.5 points today rather than 22, and used up
    1.5 of my two saved points. Worth every bite and slurp, and no guilt at all!

    The ONLY things I don't point and account for are any drinks and nibbles I have at the WW meeting.
    There are always low point drinks and WW cakes available, and I may consume 3 points worth, but so
    what! That's my indulgence for the week!

    I learned to recognise my danger points in the day: 4 pm and about midnight! 4 pm is after school,
    and after a long hard teaching day (I usually got to school between 7:30 and 8 am, lessons started
    at 9 and went on until 3:45, and while I did have a break mid morning, 15 minuts is just about time
    to nip to the loo and swallow half a cup of tea! A lunch break of 50 minutes is OK unless you are on
    duty and have kids to see, at which point it gets cut to another 15 minutes...), this was the first
    time i had to do more than have a fly cuppa and a quick sandwich on the run, and I really needed the
    energy of sweet stuff to carry me through post teaching day activities (staff meetings, detentions,
    marking and prep for the following day) to supper time at about 8 pm when I got home. Midnight was
    usually after finishing the evening's marking at home, when I realized that I was hungry again! For
    me it's been as much a matter of re-training my hunger points as anything else! Now that I work at
    home most of the time, I can dictate when I eat, rather than eating to the schedule dictated by
    dealing with 400+ other people every day. I do have a snack at about 4, as this is whan I get in
    from my 2 mile walk to collect my son from school, and it's time to relax over a cup of tea before
    getting back to the sewing machine or making dinner for him before he goes out to Cubs or Judo.

    It is baby steps: one little thing at a time. If you try to do too much at once, you get
    overwhelmed. The Midnight Munchies are the most difficult to eliminate: I suffer from insomnia, so
    am frequently up far later than is sensible, and that hollow feeling round about midnight, when it's
    at least 5 hours since I last ate, is quite a big hurdle! I try to keep a supply of zero point
    carrots in the fridge for this time. Apples are also good: only half a point each, but they take a
    while to chew up, so are satisfying on several levels.

    I have substetuted carrots, apples and other fruit and veg for piles of cookies and chocolate, and
    i'm working on upping my water consumption. Lots of folk find that when they start drinking enough,
    hunger pangs are less. I think the signals get confused, and we feel hunger rather than thirst,
    which is the real problem!

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  7. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving excuses like it's too cold, I
    don't want to have to shower again that day, If I go to the gym now I'll be up too late and will
    never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more
    than once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I still can't get myself to go. I'm not a fan
    of working out at home either.

    Julie

    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
    > again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of repetition.
    >
    > Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome these
    > tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these feelings.
    > Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise quiets the noise
    > of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
    >
    > Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.
    >
    > Prairie Roots
    >
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:04:24 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate
    my
    > >woe.
    > >
    > >These are the steps I've take so far:
    > >1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put
    > > the brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the
    > > need to be perfect with the
    woe
    > >to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have in the past.
    > >
    > >2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > > like salad dressing.
    > >
    > >3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    works
    > >better some days more than others.
    > >
    > >4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    switched
    > >to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    > >don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    going
    > >AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.
    > >
    > >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    starting
    > >weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    ephedra
    > >free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    > >
    > >The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    > >
    > >Julie

  8. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    > > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    > switched
    > > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips
    and
    > > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    going
    > > AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    sandwich
    > > for lunch.
    >
    > In addition to the WOW chips, I discovered Soy Crisps and snack size 94%
    FF
    > popcorn for evening snacks. Just make sure that you are drinking enough water to help flush out
    > the extra salt that you are consuming.

    I'm a big water drinker. That's probably the only thing I've even kept consistant in my life. I've
    been asking for water at restaurants since I was a kid-although I think it helps you eat more
    because I get really filled up by any kind of non-water beverage. If I drink a bottle of crystal
    light (2 servings = 10 cals) I'm full for an hour or so.

    > Week 4s WW booklet is all about making healthy substitutions to help cut back on points. Things
    > like reduced calorie mayo, sugar substitutes, applesauce for oil, sugar substitutes to name a few.
    > Making changes each week towards a healthy WOE helps the WW journey. Just remember that these are
    > changes that you want to make for the rest of your life. If you can't live with that change the
    > rest of your life then you probably should not
    do
    > it.

    That's a good reminder. I'm trying not to switch out too many things at once.

    Julie

  9. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    I will-once the numbers stop bouncing around. It's just depressing.

    "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > Pick the higher weight. You have made a great start, good luck, Lee skiur <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate
    my
    > > woe.
    > >
    > > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This
    has
    > > already helped me put the brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention.
    > > I redirected the need to be perfect with the
    woe
    > > to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    in
    > > the past.
    > >
    > > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being
    bad,
    > > and I can have it. This one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when
    > > I portion out things like salad dressing.
    > >
    > > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    > works
    > > better some days more than others.
    > >
    > > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    > switched
    > > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips
    and
    > > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    going
    > > AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    sandwich
    > > for lunch.
    > >
    > > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    starting
    > > weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    ephedra
    > > free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    > >
    > > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this
    journey.

    > > Julie

  10. Hi, Julie, you are doing a great job.
    --
    Take Care Catherine
    154/132.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 132

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
    >
    > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
    > brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
    > be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in the past.
    >
    > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
    > one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
    > like salad dressing.
    >
    > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    works
    > better some days more than others.
    >
    > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    switched
    > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease
    > myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.
    >
    > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    > have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    > normalization.
    >
    > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >
    > Julie

  11. Don't worry about the exercise right now. Several of us here, myself included, were several months
    into losing weight before we added exercise to our program. Others don't exercise at all and still
    lose weight consistently and steadily. I still haven't made it into a habit. Don't give yourself
    something else to beat yourself up about.

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:23:49 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving excuses like it's too cold, I
    >don't want to have to shower again that day, If I go to the gym now I'll be up too late and will
    >never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more
    >than once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I still can't get myself to go. I'm not a fan
    >of working out at home either.
    >
    >Julie
    >

    >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
    >> again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of repetition.
    >>
    >> Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome these
    >> tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these
    >> feelings. Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise
    >> quiets the noise of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
    >>
    >> Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.
    >>
    >> Prairie Roots
    >>
    >> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:04:24 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate
    >my
    >> >woe.
    >> >
    >> >These are the steps I've take so far:
    >> >1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put
    >> > the brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the
    >> > need to be perfect with the
    >woe
    >> >to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have in the past.
    >> >
    >> >2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it.
    >> > This one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out
    >> > things like salad dressing.
    >> >
    >> >3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    >works
    >> >better some days more than others.
    >> >
    >> >4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    >switched
    >> >to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and
    >> >don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    >going
    >> >AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a sandwich for lunch.
    >> >
    >> >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    >starting
    >> >weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    >ephedra
    >> >free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    >> >
    >> >The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
    >> >
    >> >Julie

    Prairie Roots
    232/161/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  12. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I am one of those that has always shunned away from exercise. I joined WW at the end of April 2003.
    My first real exercise did not start until August. I did make an effort to walk a mile with my
    husband each night during the summer (weather permitting). Exercise does not have to be anything
    formal. Just going for a walk, parking at the other end of the parking lot, walking the malls, using
    the stairs, etc count too. The object of the game is to get any type of physical activity to help
    burn calories. It also helps tone your body as you lose the weight. I now do Curves 4 times a week.
    I still have problems getting there some days. It is on the way home from work so I really don't
    have an excuse to not go. On days that I work from home I never seem to make it there on my own
    unless I take my daughter to school and then stop on my way home. Give yourself time. Lose some
    weight and you'll find that you have more energy than you know what to do with. Then you'll want to
    go to the gym or for walks.

> [...]
    > works
    > > >better some days more than others.
    > > >
    > > >4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    > switched
    > > >to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips
    and
    > > >don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    > going
    > > >AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    sandwich
    > > >for lunch.
    > > >
    > > >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    > starting
    > > >weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    > ephedra
    > > >free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    > > >
    > > >The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this

  13. Laura

    Laura Guest

    If you can get yourself OP more days than off Program then the numbers might start to stablize. Mine
    had been bouncing up and down for the past couple of months and I was losing very slowly. Down to
    maybe a half pound a week if I was lucky. I went back to WW meetings. I was reminded to vary my
    breakfasts and lunches more and to add some fats back into the diet. So far it seems to be working
    and the scale bouncing has stopped.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I will-once the numbers stop bouncing around. It's just depressing.
    >
    > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Pick the higher weight. You have made a great start, good luck, Lee skiur <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to
    re-evaluate
    > my
    > > > woe.
    > > >
    > > > These are the steps I've take so far:
    > > > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This
    > has
    > > > already helped me put the brakes to some habits that I picked up when
    > > > wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to be perfect with the
    > woe
    > > > to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
    > in
    > > > the past.
    > > >
    > > > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being
    > bad,
    > > > and I can have it. This one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself
    > > > when I portion out things like salad
    dressing.

    > > > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
    > > works
    > > > better some days more than others.
    > > >
    > > > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
    > > switched
    > > > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips
    > and
    > > > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
    > going
    > > > AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
    > sandwich
    > > > for lunch.
    > > >
    > > > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    > starting
    > > > weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    > ephedra
    > > > free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    > > >
    > > > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this
    > journey.
    > > >
    > > > Julie

  14. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
    >have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
    >normalization.

    Did this do anything at all? I've been told that ephedra products help by about 5% but the non-
    ephedra stuff is less effective.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk
    273/202/182

  15. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Good idea. I have thoughts of doing laps at the pool in the back of my head, but only because it's
    fun and relaxing. I enjoy weight lifting, but I can only do 3-4 squats at a time w/o hurting myself-
    that's a 45 pound bar!

    Julie

    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Don't worry about the exercise right now. Several of us here, myself included, were several months
    > into losing weight before we added exercise to our program. Others don't exercise at all and still
    > lose weight consistently and steadily. I still haven't made it into a habit. Don't give yourself
    > something else to beat yourself up about.
    >
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:23:49 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving
    excuses
    > >like it's too cold, I don't want to have to shower again that day, If I
    go
    > >to the gym now I'll be up too late and will never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling myself
    > >that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more than once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I
    > >still can't get myself
    > >go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
    > >
    > >Julie
    > >

    > >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
    > >> again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of
    > >> repetition.
    > >>
    > >> Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome these
    > >> tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these
    > >> feelings. Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise
    > >> quiets the noise of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
    > >>
    > >> Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.
    > >>
    > >> Prairie Roots

    > >my

    > >woe

    dressing.

    > >works

    > >switched
    > >going

    > >starting
    > >ephedra

    > Prairie Roots
    > 232/161/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  16. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Thanks Laura. That's sounds advice. I know I had more energy when I weighed less (even 5-6
    pounds ago).

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> [...]
    myself
    > > go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
    > >
    > > Julie
    > >

    > > "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
    > > > again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of
    > > > repetition.
    > > >
    > > > Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome
    > > > these tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these
    > > > feelings. Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise
    > > > quiets the noise of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
    > > >
    > > > Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.

  17. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Very true. I will keep that in mind. I don't think that I've had more OP days this week than not,
    but there are more OP days this week than last week and that's progress right now for me.

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > If you can get yourself OP more days than off Program then the numbers
    might
    > start to stablize. Mine had been bouncing up and down for the past couple
    of
    > months and I was losing very slowly. Down to maybe a half pound a week if
    > was lucky. I went back to WW meetings. I was reminded to vary my
    breakfasts
    > and lunches more and to add some fats back into the diet. So far it seems
    > be working and the scale bouncing has stopped.
    >
    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I will-once the numbers stop bouncing around. It's just depressing.
    > >
    > > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > > > Pick the higher weight. You have made a great start, good luck, Lee skiur
    > re-evaluate
    > > my

    This
    > > has
    > > woe
    > > in

    > > bad,
    > dressing.

    > > > works

    > > > switched
    > > and
    > > going
    > > sandwich

    > > starting
    > > ephedra

    > > journey.

  18. Laura

    Laura Guest

    That's why people call this a WOL and not a diet. Take one meal, one day at a time for the rest of
    your life. Learning to stay OP most days takes time. Even those that are lifetime will have off
    days. Its part of life. Learning to plan for them or at least learning how to undo some of the
    damage the next few days takes time to learn. Many times people blow it at a meal and then say I'll
    start again on Monday. Nope, WW wants you to learn to start again with the very next meal. That's
    also the beauty of Flex points. If you go over on a meal then you just have less flex points for the
    rest of the week. No big deal. And if you eat more than your flex points, well, you might gain, you
    might maintain but the next meal is a new chapter. Like you said, baby steps.

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Very true. I will keep that in mind. I don't think that I've had more OP days this week than not,
    > but there are more OP days this week than last
    week
    > and that's progress right now for me.
    >
    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > If you can get yourself OP more days than off Program then the numbers
    > might
    > > start to stablize. Mine had been bouncing up and down for the past
    couple
    > of
    > > months and I was losing very slowly. Down to maybe a half pound a week
    if
    > > was lucky. I went back to WW meetings. I was reminded to vary my
    > breakfasts
    > > and lunches more and to add some fats back into the diet. So far it
    seems
    > > be working and the scale bouncing has stopped.
    > >
    > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I will-once the numbers stop bouncing around. It's just depressing.
    > > >
    > > > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > berlin.de...
    > > re-evaluate
    > > > my

    > This
    > > > has
    > when
    > the
    > > > woe
    > have
    > > > in

    > > > bad,
    > > dressing.

    > more-this

    > chips
    > > > and
    > > > going
    > > > sandwich

    > > > starting
    > > > ephedra

    > > > journey.

  19. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Well I was using it sparingly when I decided the heck with it. I used to use the ephedra product
    religiously (4 pills a day) and bought the ephedra-free version when I moved to IL (ephedra products
    were illegal in this state when I picked it up). I wasn't being consistant in its use so I was in
    the ramping up stages when I started using the ephedra free version.

    From my point of view, it was working the same way (fluid reduction, hunger reduction, warm flashes,
    jitters) however I wasn't losing much because I was still eating the same way but I wasn't snacking-
    which helped. I was successful with the ephedra version because at the time, I had the luxury of
    going to the gym when I wanted to for however long I wanted to.

    "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
    starting
    > >weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
    ephedra
    > >free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
    >
    > Did this do anything at all? I've been told that ephedra products help by about 5% but the non-
    > ephedra stuff is less effective.
    >
    > Ray
    > --
    > rmnsuk
    > 273/202/182

  20. Laura

    Laura Guest

    "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well I was using it sparingly when I decided the heck with it. I used to use the ephedra product
    > religiously (4 pills a day) and bought the ephedra-free version when I moved to IL (ephedra
    > products were illegal in this state when I picked it up). I wasn't being consistant in its use so
    > was in the ramping up stages when I started using the ephedra free
    version.

    > From my point of view, it was working the same way (fluid reduction,
    hunger
    > reduction, warm flashes, jitters) however I wasn't losing much because I
    was
    > still eating the same way but I wasn't snacking-which helped. I was successful with the ephedra
    > version because at the time, I had the luxury
    of
    > going to the gym when I wanted to for however long I wanted to.

    Not picking on you but your last sentence may have said it all. You lost weight because you were
    going to the gym not because of the pills.

    Also, they did not know that ephedra was dangerous when they first introduced it. Since the Ephedra-
    free pills cause the same jitters, etc then one has to wonder if the product is safe. I tried the
    ephedra version once and did not like the racing feeling that I experienced. It is speeding up your
    heart rate,etc in an attempt to speed up your metabolism. I suspect the the new formula might just
    be dangerous too but they don't know it yet. You are better off doing WW than taking these pills.