Baby steps

My first exercise was water aerobics. I did it because I loved it and it felt so good to get into
the pool at the end of the day. I don't do water aerobics in the winter. Even though the gym and the
pool are heated, going swimming when the temps outside are frigid just doesn't compute in my brain.
As the weather warms, I'll probably add this back into my week.

Prairie Roots On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:53:15 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Good idea. I have thoughts of doing laps at the pool in the back of my head, but only because it's
>fun and relaxing. I enjoy weight lifting, but I can only do 3-4 squats at a time w/o hurting myself-
>that's a 45 pound bar!
>
>Julie
>
>"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Don't worry about the exercise right now. Several of us here, myself included, were several
>> months into losing weight before we added exercise to our program. Others don't exercise at all
>> and still lose weight consistently and steadily. I still haven't made it into a habit. Don't give
>> yourself something else to beat yourself up about.
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:23:49 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving
>excuses
>> >like it's too cold, I don't want to have to shower again that day, If I
>go
>> >to the gym now I'll be up too late and will never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling
>> >myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more than once a week because any effort is
>> >progress. Yet I still can't get myself
>> >go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
>> >
>> >Julie
>> >

>> >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>re-evaluate
>> >my

>has
>> >woe
>in

>bad,
>dressing.

>> >works

>> >switched
>and
>> >going
>sandwich

>> >starting
>> >ephedra

>journey.

>> Prairie Roots
>> 232/161/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

see below

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wK4_b.30587$aH3.962680@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Well I was using it sparingly when I decided the heck with it. I used
> > use the ephedra product religiously (4 pills a day) and bought the ephedra-free version when I
> > moved to IL (ephedra products were illegal
in
> > this state when I picked it up). I wasn't being consistant in its use
so
> > was in the ramping up stages when I started using the ephedra free
> version.
> >
> > From my point of view, it was working the same way (fluid reduction,
> hunger
> > reduction, warm flashes, jitters) however I wasn't losing much because I
> was
> > still eating the same way but I wasn't snacking-which helped. I was successful with the ephedra
> > version because at the time, I had the
luxury
> of
> > going to the gym when I wanted to for however long I wanted to.
> >

> Not picking on you but your last sentence may have said it all. You lost weight because you were
> going to the gym not because of the pills.

I don't think you're picking on me at all. Thanks for the consideration though..another day it would
be needed. I suspect that the pill had some effect...meaning that I had myself convinced that it was
working *grin*.

> Also, they did not know that ephedra was dangerous when they first introduced it. Since the Ephedra-
> free pills cause the same jitters, etc
then
> one has to wonder if the product is safe. I tried the ephedra version once and did not like the
> racing feeling that I experienced. It is speeding up your heart rate,etc in an attempt to speed up
> your metabolism. I suspect
the
> the new formula might just be dangerous too but they don't know it yet.
You
> are better off doing WW than taking these pills.

Who knows. Although it's my body and my science experiment, I've decided that the pills really
aren't going to do me a lot of favors because I don't want them to be a sustainable part of my wol.

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> see below
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wK4_b.30587$aH3.962680@bgtnsc04-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Well I was using it sparingly when I decided the heck with it. I used
> > > use the ephedra product religiously (4 pills a day) and bought the ephedra-free version when I
> > > moved to IL (ephedra products were illegal
> in
> > > this state when I picked it up). I wasn't being consistant in its use
> so
> > > was in the ramping up stages when I started using the ephedra free
> > version.
> > >
> > > From my point of view, it was working the same way (fluid reduction,
> > hunger
> > > reduction, warm flashes, jitters) however I wasn't losing much because
> > was
> > > still eating the same way but I wasn't snacking-which helped. I was successful with the
> > > ephedra version because at the time, I had the
> luxury
> > of
> > > going to the gym when I wanted to for however long I wanted to.
> > >

> > Not picking on you but your last sentence may have said it all. You lost weight because you were
> > going to the gym not because of the pills.
>
> I don't think you're picking on me at all. Thanks for the consideration though..another day it
> would be needed. I suspect that the pill had some effect...meaning that I had myself convinced
> that it was working *grin*.

Many pills work that way. Mind over matter.

> > Also, they did not know that ephedra was dangerous when they first introduced it. Since the Ephedra-
> > free pills cause the same jitters, etc
> then
> > one has to wonder if the product is safe. I tried the ephedra version
once
> > and did not like the racing feeling that I experienced. It is speeding
up
> > your heart rate,etc in an attempt to speed up your metabolism. I suspect
> the
> > the new formula might just be dangerous too but they don't know it yet.
> You
> > are better off doing WW than taking these pills.
>
> Who knows. Although it's my body and my science experiment, I've decided that the pills really
> aren't going to do me a lot of favors because I
don't
> want them to be a sustainable part of my wol.

Smart move. They also just scare me. I don't think anyone really knows what the effects of the new
formula. I'd hate to be a guinea pig.

Most of us have been there also, Julie. Exercise is good for you and will aid in getting those
pounds to drop off as well as firming up the loose stuff at the same time. BUT ... you don't have to
exercise to lose weight. I dropped the majority of my weight with little to no exercise. In the
summer I did walk in the evening with hub, but nothing majorly exertive ... other than that, nada.
It wasn't until this fall when I finally pushed myself into getting back to the treadmill, and by
then I was trying valiantly to maintain. I wish I could say exercise has become a habit, but it
still hasn't. Many days I really have to force myself to get down there, and there are also many
days that I don't get around to it. The trick is to find something you really enjoy doing, then find
a time of day that really does work best for you. Is there anyone at work that may be interested in
becoming a walking buddy with you? It might be a good break from the office routine for a bit, give
you time to chat and catch up with a friend, and also get a little bit of exercise into your day?

Joyce

skiur wrote:

> I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving excuses like it's too cold, I
> don't want to have to shower again that day, If I go to the gym now I'll be up too late and will
> never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more
> than once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I still can't get myself to go. I'm not a fan
> of working out at home either.

I'm not a natural exerciser either, but I make a virtue of necessity: I have to collect my son from
school every day during term time, and as i do not drive, come rain, hail, snow, high winds and
brilliant sunshine, I walk both directions! It's a mile each way. All the other parents have strict
instructions only to offer me a lift if the weather is truly vile and you wouldn't send an orc out
into it! James occasionally complains, but agrees that it's good for both of us!

I'd love to be able to get my act together and go swimming twice a week too, but the times I and the
pool are both kid free do not coincide during normal waking hours...

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Julie:

Congrats on these steps!!

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/202/155 RAFL 210.5/202/198.5

skiur wrote:
> It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate my woe.
>
> These are the steps I've take so far:
> 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This has already helped me put the
> brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention. I redirected the need to
> be perfect with the woe to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
> in the past.
>
> 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being bad, and I can have it. This
> one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when I portion out things
> like salad dressing.
>
> 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this works better some days more
> than others.
>
> 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I switched to WOW chips (no fat,
> 70 calories per serving). I really like chips and I don't feel like it's a diet when I can have
> them. It'll keep me from going AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
> sandwich for lunch.
>
> My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my starting weight is although I do
> have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking ephedra free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight
> normalization.
>
> The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this journey.
>
> Julie

I have been doing WW for 70 weeks and losing for about 75. I still do not
exercise in a formal way. I can't find anything I enjoy and I refuse to do
anything to lose weight that I can't commit to for life. The up side to
this is that the changes I have made are forever and they will not stop when
losing is done, thereby helping me to maintain. The down side is that I am
not as toned as I would like and I am sure I would be further along if I had
exercised. In the end it is up to you and what you want. Good luck, Lee
Laura <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am one of those that has always shunned away from exercise. I joined WW
at
> the end of April 2003. My first real exercise did not start until August.
> did make an effort to walk a mile with my husband each night during the summer (weather
> permitting). Exercise does not have to be anything formal. Just going for a walk, parking at the
> other end of the parking lot,
walking
> the malls, using the stairs, etc count too. The object of the game is to
get
> any type of physical activity to help burn calories. It also helps tone
your
> body as you lose the weight. I now do Curves 4 times a week. I still have problems getting there
> some days. It is on the way home from work so I really don't have an excuse to not go. On days
> that I work from home I
never
> seem to make it there on my own unless I take my daughter to school and
then
> stop on my way home. Give yourself time. Lose some weight and you'll find that you have more
> energy than you know what to do with. Then you'll want
> go to the gym or for walks.
>
> "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving
excuses
> > like it's too cold, I don't want to have to shower again that day, If I
go
> > to the gym now I'll be up too late and will never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling
> > myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more
than
> > once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I still can't get
myself
> > go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
> >
> > Julie
> >

> > "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
> > > again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of
> > > repetition.
> > >
> > > Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome
> > > these tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these
> > > feelings. Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise
> > > quiets the noise of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
> > >
> > > Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.
> > >
> > > Prairie Roots

> > my

> has
> > woe
> in

> bad,
dressing.

> > works

> > switched
> and
> > going
> sandwich

> > starting
> > ephedra

> journey.

Thanks Connie.

Julie "Connie" <walshclan@nospam_primus.ca> wrote in message
> Julie:
>
> Congrats on these steps!!
>

> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> Connie Walsh
>
> 241.5/202/155 RAFL 210.5/202/198.5
>

> skiur wrote:
> > It's been about a week since I've made a concious effort to re-evaluate
my
> > woe.
> >
> > These are the steps I've take so far:
> > 1) Journal foods with portion size and calories when available. This
has
> > already helped me put the brakes to some habits that I picked up when I wasn't paying attention.
> > I redirected the need to be perfect with the
woe
> > to journaling and it's helped a lot. I don't feel as guilty as I have
in
> > the past.
> >
> > 2) Repeating to myself that a certain food is allowed, I'm not being
bad,
> > and I can have it. This one is going to take a while. I have this conversation with myself when
> > I portion out things like salad dressing.
> >
> > 3) Eating smaller portions and stop when I'm not hungry any more-this
works
> > better some days more than others.
> >
> > 4) Making substitutions for foods. I really like potato chips so I
switched
> > to WOW chips (no fat, 70 calories per serving). I really like chips
and I
> > don't feel like it's a diet when I can have them. It'll keep me from
going
> > AWOL and I need to ease myself off the chips every time I have a
sandwich
> > for lunch.
> >
> > My weight keeps fluctuating and I'm trying to figure out where my
starting
> > weight is although I do have a pretty good idea. I stopped taking
ephedra
> > free Xenadrine which plays a part in weight normalization.
> >
> > The most important thing is that I feel better for starting this
journey.

> > Julie

I work with people who don't like the cold and it's still "cold" here in Chicagoland, but I'm taking
names and I think there is at least one other person who might be interested. We'll see.

I went the the library today and it has two floors. I forgot my notebook upstairs and turned
right around to get it-boy was I winded. I don't much like this feeling. I hope to make some
scale progress so that I can move around better. I'm realizing just how much I don't like this
extra weight.

Julie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> >still can't get myself
> >go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
> >
> >Julie
> >

> >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> All these will serve you well over the long haul. Some you may have to return to time and time
> >> again. At least for me, some lessons come easy, some don't stick even after weeks of
> >> repetition.
> >>
> >> Self-recrimination and guilt are biggies. I know I'm not alone in my struggle to overcome these
> >> tendencies. What I've discovered is that I can lose weight even while dealing with these
> >> feelings. Posting about those feelings here helps a lot. I'm also discovering that exercise
> >> quiets the noise of the internal critics. Maybe they get tired.
> >>
> >> Good for you for taking these important initial steps. Keep coming back.

That's the way to do it. Unfortunately, I need a car to get anywhere here, but the bar. I just
keep reminding myself that it took me years to put on this weight so it will take time to work on
good habits.

Julie

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
online.co.uk...
> skiur wrote:
> >
> > I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving
excuses
> > like it's too cold, I don't want to have to shower again that day, If I
go
> > to the gym now I'll be up too late and will never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling
> > myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more
than
> > once a week because any effort is progress. Yet I still can't get
myself to
> > go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
>
> I'm not a natural exerciser either, but I make a virtue of necessity: I have to collect my son
> from school every day during term time, and as i do not drive, come rain, hail, snow, high winds
> and brilliant sunshine, I walk both directions! It's a mile each way. All the other parents have
> strict instructions only to offer me a lift if the weather is truly vile and you wouldn't send an
> orc out into it! James occasionally complains, but agrees that it's good for both of us!
>
> I'd love to be able to get my act together and go swimming twice a week too, but the times I and
> the pool are both kid free do not coincide during normal waking hours...
> --

> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I really do understand your dilemma, seems no one in the chicagoland area likes the cold ... yet we
all are still here. <G> I'm a chicagoan also, well ... pretty close. I'm in the western/southwestern
'burbs - about 30 miles from the city itself. And yes, it's been cold ... but yesterday and today
were beautiful, very nice walkin' weather. <G> And trust me, in a few short months all the people
complaining of being out in the cold - will then be complaining about being out in the heat. LOL! I
have noticed a group of women in my neighborhood have been out walking every single day this winter,
even in those few subzero days we've had. They just bundle up warrmer, get up and go - you could set
a clock by them. Not quite for me, I'm cold enough in my basement. <grin>

I know you said you didn't like home exercise, I don't really either. But maybe you could work out
some kind of a deal with yourself ... like ... IF I get off my butt and do something, then I can
have .... whatever. I splurged on some dvd's, only allow myself access to them when I am on the
treadmill (which hub splurged on for me) ... and am adding a bike to the mix this week (I am
splurging on hub). If you have access to any equipment, maybe setting up a tv nearby and doing
something similar would give you the incentive to start somekind of a routine. You may also find
that adding some exercise into your day will help you feel better and move around better. Maybe
joining an exercise class at the local Y? Or check into the Curves program, is relatively
inexpensive and quick, and from what I've heard everyone that has tried it loves it. I know there
are tons in the chicago area. Just some options to think about ...

As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad, very bad - have been known to
use the elevator. <grin>

Joyce

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:06 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>for a
>> bit, give you time to chat and catch up with a friend, and also get a
>little bit
>> of exercise into your day?
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:23:49 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I've had a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I keep giving
>excuses
>> >like it's too cold, I don't want to have to shower again that day, If I
>go
>> >to the gym now I'll be up too late and will never get up for work, etc. I've tried telling
>> >myself that it's ok if I don't go to the gym more than once a week because any effort is
>> >progress. Yet I still can't get myself
>> >go. I'm not a fan of working out at home either.
>> >
>> >Julie
>> >

>> >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Hey, an exercise bike, now????

You folks will have a deluxe gym going.

Have fun. Next a real bike and helmet and bike tights (G)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:03:10 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>wasn't until
>>> this fall when I finally pushed myself into getting back to the treadmill,
>>and by
>>> then I was trying valiantly to maintain. I wish I could say exercise has
>>become a
>>> habit, but it still hasn't. Many days I really have to force myself to
>>get down
>>> there, and there are also many days that I don't get around to it. The
>>trick is
>>> to find something you really enjoy doing, then find a time of day that
>>really does
>>> work best for you. Is there anyone at work that may be interested in
>>becoming a
>>> walking buddy with you? It might be a good break from the office routine
>>for a
>>> bit, give you time to chat and catch up with a friend, and also get a

Hi there neighbor! I'm in the 'burbs too, but the north/northwestern at the 30ish mile point. If you
want to compare more IL notes, just take the "is" and the "not" out of my email address when
responding.

People and weather are funny. I know that in a few short months they will be saying how much they
missed winter, blah blah blah. I think it's the same in most northern states.

We are in an apartment and don't have space for equipment, however I do have a Bally's membership.
Encouraging myself to go is a different matter and getting myself to go consistantly is even more of
a different matter. Last time I was in there was MLK's birthday weekend when I over did it at the
gym and couldn't get myself back into it again. I've since driven myself into the parking lot and
parked in it only to start the car again and drive home a few times. I think that I just wasn't
ready at that time. I need to stop overdoing it and getting discouraged because I'm not in as great
of shape as I think I am. I just feel like I'm not doing enough for myself if I'm at the gym for 20
minutes-does that make sense to anyone?

I'm realizing that reality and my mind's eye are two different things. I'd rather be in the mind's
eye version of me.

Julie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> [...]
treadmill,
> >and by
> >> then I was trying valiantly to maintain. I wish I could say exercise
has
> >become a
> >> habit, but it still hasn't. Many days I really have to force myself to
> >get down
> >> there, and there are also many days that I don't get around to it. The
> >trick is
> >> to find something you really enjoy doing, then find a time of day that
> >really does
> >> work best for you. Is there anyone at work that may be interested in
> >becoming a
> >> walking buddy with you? It might be a good break from the office
routine
> >for a
> >> bit, give you time to chat and catch up with a friend, and also get a

You know I hope you take this the right way and I don't offend you but...
and remember this is from someone who openly admits to not doing formal
exercise... Could you be doing it a bit too much to self sabotage, Hope I
didn't offend, Lee
> [...]
> bad -
> > have been known to use the elevator. <grin>
> >
> > Joyce
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:06 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > >I work with people who don't like the cold and it's still "cold" here
in
> > >Chicagoland, but I'm taking names and I think there is at least one
other
> > >person who might be interested. We'll see.
> > >
> > >I went the the library today and it has two floors. I forgot my
notebook
> > >upstairs and turned right around to get it-boy was I winded. I don't
> much
> > >like this feeling. I hope to make some scale progress so that I can
move
> > >around better. I'm realizing just how much I don't like this extra

Didn't offend, but I'm not sure what you mean?

I know that I don't want to fail at this wol. I'm also trying to change the "must do everything
perfectly all at once" attitude in order to be more happy with myself and my life choices. I'm a
master at beating myself up for anything.

Julie

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> [...]
> You
> > may also
> > > find that adding some exercise into your day will help you feel better
> and
> > move
> > > around better. Maybe joining an exercise class at the local Y? Or
> check
> > into the
> > > Curves program, is relatively inexpensive and quick, and from what
I've
> > heard
> > > everyone that has tried it loves it. I know there are tons in the
> chicago
> > area.
> > > Just some options to think about ...
> > >
> > > As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad,
> very
> > bad -
> > > have been known to use the elevator. <grin>

LOL! You are the silly one! Bike tights are definitely not in my future, right up there with the
bikini - my kids would be mortified. Weights will be next in line, bike was picked up this afternoon
and is currently residing in the back of my vehicle. I'm trying to figure out how to get it into the
house (sonny boy more than likely will have to accomplish this) and where the heck to put it.

Joyce

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:30:17 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>are tons in the chicago area. Just some options to think about ...
>>
>>As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad, very bad - have been known to
>>use the elevator. <grin>
>>
>>Joyce
>>
>>On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:06 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I work with people who don't like the cold and it's still "cold" here in Chicagoland, but I'm
>>>taking names and I think there is at least one other person who might be interested. We'll see.
>>>
>>>I went the the library today and it has two floors. I forgot my notebook upstairs and turned
>>>right around to get it-boy was I winded. I don't much like this feeling. I hope to make some
>>>scale progress so that I can move around better. I'm realizing just how much I don't like this

Not too sure how many notes there are to compare about IL, I tend to try to ignore most of it, have
lived here way too long. <G> Are you in the Schaumburg neck of the woods? I'm figuring you must be
due north of me (Glen Ellyn, Ummmm, Oakbrook or Naperville if you need a bigger nearby town to get
an idea where I am)

LOL! One thing you will never hear me say is that I miss winter. I have never enjoyed the cold. I do
like the changes of seasons, but also wish we only had 3 of them (guess which one I am omitting).

I never did the bally thing, but did belong to a local health club a few years ago. I had a major
problem with going, seemed everyone there were those super skinny model types that made me wonder
what the heck they were doing there. Ok, that was the *old* me, now I know what they were/are doing
there and can accept
it. I guess it was a confidence issue, or lack of. I had no self confidence, felt like the minute I
walked in there everyone was looking at the fat lady and just humoring me. So I stopped going.
Had I had someone to go with, it might have been different - I don't know though. I think I am
just one of those loner type personalities, probably why I knew that the ww storefront and
meetings were not going to be the answer for me. I work well alone, I can push myself - but put
me in a group and forget it. Again, lack of self confidence? Or maybe residual issues from the
severe depression/anxiety/panic junk I dealt with.

If all you feel like doing is 20 minutes, then do 20 minutes! I look at it as ... it's 20 more
minutes than I was doing before. Would maybe a home exercise video work better for you? That might
be an interim solution to get you over the hump. Or even something as goofy as parking at the rear
of the parking lot at work, grocery shopping, malls, etc. That walking is exercise, and more than
likely is out of the ordinary routine (although if it's at night it probably isn't a smart idea to
be walking that far alone).

If you're not ready, you're not ready. No reason to beat yourself up about it, and no reason to feel
guilty. When you feel you are ready, then try again. You CAN lose weight without the formalized
exercise - I did and I think Lee also has said she has had no formal exercise. It is more difficult,
a bit slower, but definitely possible.

Joyce

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:51:31 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>area.
>> Just some options to think about ...
>>
>> As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad, very
>bad -
>> have been known to use the elevator. <grin>
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:06 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I work with people who don't like the cold and it's still "cold" here in Chicagoland, but I'm
>> >taking names and I think there is at least one other person who might be interested. We'll see.
>> >
>> >I went the the library today and it has two floors. I forgot my notebook upstairs and turned
>> >right around to get it-boy was I winded. I don't
>much
>> >like this feeling. I hope to make some scale progress so that I can move around better. I'm
>> >realizing just how much I don't like this extra

Bike clothes are much more comfortable for biking then another thing else. The seams are properly
located to take pressure off various saddle-exposed areas (G)

One day...... (G)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:18:58 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:

>LOL! You are the silly one! Bike tights are definitely not in my future, right up there with the
>bikini - my kids would be mortified. Weights will be next in line, bike was picked up this
>afternoon and is currently residing in the back of my vehicle. I'm trying to figure out how to
>get it into the house (sonny boy more than likely will have to accomplish this) and where the
>heck to put it.
>
>Joyce
>
>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:30:17 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hey, an exercise bike, now????
>>
>>You folks will have a deluxe gym going.
>>
>>Have fun. Next a real bike and helmet and bike tights (G)
>>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:03:10 -0600, Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I really do understand your dilemma, seems no one in the chicagoland area likes the cold ... yet
>>>we all are still here. <G> I'm a chicagoan also, well ... pretty close. I'm in the
>>>western/southwestern 'burbs - about 30 miles from the city itself. And yes, it's been cold ...
>>>but yesterday and today were beautiful, very nice walkin' weather. <G> And trust me, in a few
>>>short months all the people complaining of being out in the cold - will then be complaining about
>>>being out in the heat. LOL! I have noticed a group of women in my neighborhood have been out
>>>walking every single day this winter, even in those few subzero days we've had. They just bundle
>>>up warrmer, get up and go - you could set a clock by them. Not quite for me, I'm cold enough in
>>>my basement. <grin>
>>>
>>>I know you said you didn't like home exercise, I don't really either. But maybe you could work
>>>out some kind of a deal with yourself ... like ... IF I get off my butt and do something, then I
>>>can have .... whatever. I splurged on some dvd's, only allow myself access to them when I am on
>>>the treadmill (which hub splurged on for me) ... and am adding a bike to the mix this week (I am
>>>splurging on hub). If you have access to any equipment, maybe setting up a tv nearby and doing
>>>something similar would give you the incentive to start somekind of a routine. You may also find
>>>that adding some exercise into your day will help you feel better and move around better. Maybe
>>>joining an exercise class at the local Y? Or check into the Curves program, is relatively
>>>inexpensive and quick, and from what I've heard everyone that has tried it loves it. I know there
>>>are tons in the chicago area. Just some options to think about ...
>>>
>>>As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad, very bad - have been known
>>>to use the elevator. <grin>
>>>
>>>Joyce

Joyce is right, I won't do anything to lose that I can't commit to forever
so I accepted slower losses with the expectation that I would keep off what
I took off, I am pretty well convinced that I would already be at goal if I
had done something but I am also convinced that missing exercise after
getting to goal would have been a major downfall for me so I am OK with
slower losses, Lee
> [...]
You
> >may also
> >> find that adding some exercise into your day will help you feel better
and
> >move
> >> around better. Maybe joining an exercise class at the local Y? Or
check
> >into the
> >> Curves program, is relatively inexpensive and quick, and from what I've
> >heard
> >> everyone that has tried it loves it. I know there are tons in the
chicago
> >area.
> >> Just some options to think about ...
> >>
> >> As far as the trek up and down those library stairs ....... I'm bad,
very
> >bad -
> >> have been known to use the elevator. <grin>

I'm in Schaumburg. I've heard of Glen Ellyn, but I'm more familiar with Oakbrook and Naperville.

The only time I missed winter was when I lived in Atlanta where it was "cold" (20s at night) for
only a month or so. Spring hit like gangbusters and I had to start popping allergy tablets in late
February-it was aweful for me.

Sometimes I feel the way you did. I don't like drawing attention to myself too much at the gym, but
the people here don't ogle as much as where I used to live. I actually do park at the back of the
parking lot at work. It's too cold (windy really) for me to treck across the lot at malls or
groceries, but I don't cruise around for the closest spot in the lot anymore.

Today was birthday cake day for February birthday's where I work. I didn't have any (two cakes from
Portillos and Baker's Square) so I was just talking with one of the women. She asked why I wasn't
having any and I told her that I was watching what I was eating in attempts to lose weight. She is
very enthusiastic about working out. I had mentioned that I wasn't ready and she was saying how
"sometimes you have to push yourself", etc. I understand where she's coming from, but I don't think
I'm ready to start the gym excursions quite yet.