Babybunny almost ran over a girlie **** today :(

babybunny

Oct 5, 2004
So I was riding down one of my campus roads, keeping to the right side of my lane so faster moving cars can pass me.

100ft: I see a girl on a cell phone waiting to jaywalk across the street. I continue my course because she's not even on the road yet.

60ft: She starts walking out into my line of travel. I'm going 20mph.

20ft: I shift further to the right because shifting to the left means I will be going into the line of traffic. I plan to pass her on the right.

10ft: After moving to the right the girl is no longer in my line of travel.

5ft: The girl glances up from her conversation, looks at me, screams, and jumps backwards right back into my line of travel. I do a frantic 20mph to 5mph in 5ft, 1 sec, swerving/skidding out of the way.

0ft: I swerve past the girl, look at her in bewilderment, and she keeps on chatting on her cell phone... once again oblivious to the whole world.

I remember a post a while back about accidentally hitting squirrels on the bike. Someone said that the only surefire way to avoid them is to ride straigtht at them because their instincts will tell them to jump away right at the last second. The logic is that if a predator were charging, jumping away at the last second will give the predator no time to change direction, resulting in a miss. The problem with riding to miss the squirrel is that the squirrel will dart away at the last second as per instincts... but could result in a dart right into your wheel.

Cellphone girl obviously darted right into my path because of some ancient, squirrelly-**** instinct. Awwww.... *pats the squirrelly-*****

i.e. squirrel = more intelligent than girl on a cellphone.

Shoulda leveled her. It's what natural selection is all about. :D

cydewaze said:
i.e. squirrel = more intelligent than girl on a cellphone.

Shoulda leveled her. It's what natural selection is all about. :D
Cydewaze beat me to it. Shoulda clipped her and maybe extended yer arm to give her a little "What were you thinking, moron!?!?" slap ;)

Snuffleupagus said:
Cydewaze beat me to it. Shoulda clipped her and maybe extended yer arm to give her a little "What were you thinking, moron!?!?" slap ;)
Awww, I don't wanna hurt people, although I have to admit that at that moment I got a bit flustered from the sheer stupidity of what she just did. Plus it happened so fast that I couldn't possibly have done anything else. I was having a hard enough time just trying to control my skid and keep myself from going into traffic on the left, ramming into a parked car on the right, and bowling both of us over in the middle.

To give her a smack I woulda had to turn all the way around after missing her :)

Was she cute? Could've been some love potential there! After the crash you'd even have a great opening line: "we've only just met and look how I've fallen for you..." :D Damn I'm smooth. :rolleyes:

mmpc001 said:
Was she cute? Could've been some love potential there! After the crash you'd even have a great opening line: "we've only just met and look how I've fallen for you..." :D Damn I'm smooth. :rolleyes:
Haha, yeah, she was cute, but then again most of the girls here are because my college just seems to collect all the pretty, fashionable business major chicks, unlike my previous college which focused on engineering and the sciences. The girls from the latter are generally much more interesting to talk to though. Besides, I'm trying to ignore the whole love potential thing because I'm probably going back to my old college soon.

babybunny said:
Haha, yeah, she was cute ... I'm trying to ignore the whole love potential thing because I'm probably going back to my old college soon.
Who said it has to be about "love?" :D

babybunny said:
Awww, I don't wanna hurt people, although I have to admit that at that moment I got a bit flustered from the sheer stupidity of what she just did. Plus it happened so fast that I couldn't possibly have done anything else. I was having a hard enough time just trying to control my skid and keep myself from going into traffic on the left, ramming into a parked car on the right, and bowling both of us over in the middle.

To give her a smack I woulda had to turn all the way around after missing her :)

Good thinking. God loves stupid people. He must he made so many of them.

As for running over folks- had a ride with the wife yesterday and at one point I told her to brake because I knew that a kid crossing the street was going to end up right in our path of travel. Sure enough, we stopped and his whole family stood and stared at us-directly in our path. The mother said something in spanish and smiled...as they continued on their reign of bicyclist terror.

Telegram Sam said:
As for running over folks- had a ride with the wife yesterday and at one point I told her to brake because I knew that a kid crossing the street was going to end up right in our path of travel. Sure enough, we stopped and his whole family stood and stared at us-directly in our path. The mother said something in spanish and smiled...as they continued on their reign of bicyclist terror.
Hehe, as I ride more and more on campus I find that people walking right into my path is going to permanent and commonplace from now on. At least it feels really sporty to weave in and out of people :)

babybunny said:
Hehe, as I ride more and more on campus I find that people walking right into my path is going to permanent and commonplace from now on. At least it feels really sporty to weave in and out of people :)
It's times like those you realize humanity isn't really all that far removed from squirrels and bunnies when faced with an instantaneous choice of which way to move as something comes toward you. Further evidence: how many times have you "danced" with someone coming toward you on the street until finally saying, "I'll go that way!" :D

Thanks for not flattening her, and congrats on not dumping your bike to miss her.

That being said, I'm a big one for ringing the bell until I get eye contact. If I'm still 30 feet away, and there's no sign of recognition, I yell "HEADS UP" in the loudest, angriest voice possible. This seems to be effective, as just about everyone freezes in place, crouches, and looks around. Stable cones are easier to avoid than moving ones, and while their wondering what's about to fall on them / crush them / emerge from the earth and eat them, I slip by and go about my business.

Loud voice and lotsa warning - works for me.

Good luck, tibbar.

Dan