Bacchetta Aero, "LOVE" at 1st. ride!!!

Ez Biker :-\)

Guest
Well fellow recumboer's, for the first time in 20 years I had just completely paid off my MC card!
(Yep, 20 years to achieve this!) And yet, by this time tomorrow (1-19-03) I'll probably be under its
relentless in debt thumb GRIND again, for God knows how long! BUT, this is a REAL. meaningful
purchase, this time.! It's True LOVE!

The GREAT guys from Bacchetta rolled into Brian Piccolo Park today here in South Florida for the
South Florida Recumbent Riders rehearsal TT event, at the Criterium track and Bike Rally (Tomorrow
1-19-03) at the Fort Lauderdale Bicycle Spot Store. Not wanting to chance getting my butt
embarrassingly kicked on my GRR Ti; I opted to bring my Tailwind instead. Smart move on my account
as I soon found myself surrounded by KILLER B'S, in that of John Schlitter on his Aero, Shari
Bernhard on her Giro and one of the SFRR club riders (Sergio) on a borrowed Corsa. GEEZE, everywhere
I looked and rode, there was a Killer B, in front, behind, beside; but thankfully not on top of me.
Well, one certain "B" was WAY out in front, in that of John Schlitter. What a SNEAKY little critter
that guy is! He allows you to gain on him, lulling you into this false belief, that you are REALLY
CATCHING UP TO HIS AERO, and then ever so nonchalantly, he begins to gain MORE SPEED and start
moving away from you, faster and faster! How DEMORALIZING!

OK, so onto my 1st actual ride on the Aero. After a few initial TT events, I finally got up the
nerve to ask if I could just sit on the little beauty and instead was cordially invited to hop on it
and give it a spin by Mr. Schlitter. Admittedly the bike was not really properly fitted for me (Mr.
Schlitter is 6 Ft vs. my 5.9 height and I didn't even have the right clip less peddles for his
peddle configuration) but that didn't matter, as I reclined and melted into the cushy M5 seat and
rolled down the track for a few laps. I IMMEDIATELY felt like I was on a road bike, except I was
comfortably reclining back. Surprisingly I was able to see immediately / directly in front of me,
(Towards the ground, to spot / avoid those lovely chuck / city meter holes) just like I can on my
GRR Ti and Tailwind. (Mind you, this while still being MORE reclined, then I ever was on my previous
R-40, 45 and M5 bikes) An even more pleasant surprise was the position of where my feet were, in
conjunction to the front BB. On those previously mentioned bikes, I physically felt like my feet
were propped up high in the air via the front BB. And YES, I'm one of those who has experienced the
numb toes / feet, after riding a few miles on the other SWB's. NOT SO, on the Aero. The physical
feel of my feet to the front BB was more of a neutral sensation; just like the crank position I have
on my Tailwind. (Which I can ride for hours and / or 50+ mile rides and have no foot / toe numbness
problem) The stretched out arm position was of no concern to me either. My arms are stretched in the
same manner on my GRR Ti. The actual ride (WOW) sensation is something I'll post later; as I need to
go rest up for the Bacchetta Rally tomorrow at the LBS. (This will be in about 49 degree weather,
with a 10+ mph wind out of the Northwest, with a wind CHILL factor of about 43 degrees.) But for
now, my 1st. Bacchetta Aero ride experience is LOVE at 1st. ride!!! As for my Master Card. INCOMING
CHARGE! RED ALERT!!!

EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, B. Aero Pilot)

(PS: GEEZ, I hope they really didn't snap a picture of me on my knees, groveling and kissing the
front tire of Mr. Schlitter's Aero)

EZ, Many who have ridden' the AERO have experienced the same. Some have not. Titanium is a
different ride as most Ti riders will tell you...bent or df. I'm sure that I will hear all sortsa
"bent stories" of speed and recreation. I wish I was there to ride with you. However,I was forced
to canx my Fl. trip...well at least for January. My wife of nearly 25 years had a partial shoulder
replacement on Friday and she was scheduled to come home yesterday...but I will pick her up today.
All has gone well..which means no complications. Sooo...EZ, Trade that plastic for that Ti. I too
my first ride on John's AERO, it was too big fer me also...However, it didn't stop me from
ordering one. I'm looking at possibly February or late January into February for my Fl. trip so
all is not lost.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]

> crank position I have on my Tailwind. (Which I can ride for hours and / or 50+ mile rides and have
> no foot / toe numbness problem) The stretched out arm position was of no concern to me either. My
> arms are stretched in the same manner on my GRR Ti. The actual ride (WOW) sensation is something
> I'll post later; as I need to go rest up for the Bacchetta Rally tomorrow at the LBS. (This will
> be in about 49 degree weather, with a 10+ mph wind out of the Northwest, with a wind CHILL factor
> of about 43 degrees.) But for now, my 1st. Bacchetta Aero ride experience is LOVE at 1st. ride!!!
> As for my Master Card. INCOMING CHARGE! RED ALERT!!!
>
> EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, B. Aero Pilot)
>
> (PS: GEEZ, I hope they really didn't snap a picture of me on my knees, groveling and kissing the

Hi EZ: Wow, interesting report. That's strange to me that you don't get the toe numbness on the
aero. I get a bit on the Saber but not enough to make me give up the bike. I find that if I ride
aggressively on the Sabre I don't get the numb toes, but if I ride leisurely (ie, not pedaling
constantly) I do some toe numbness. I think this means that my circulation is moving the blood in
and out of the lower extremities when I am riding aggressively and then when I ride leisurely, it
doesn't give me adequate circulation. Anyone think this could be so? I sure holds true for me. I
will be interested to hear if this problem manifests at any time for you down the road. I hope not.
I sure love my Saber and may try the aero at some time. I just always thought that my toes would be
numb on it but after reading you review, maybe not. Please keep me informed as to how it goes with
this issue. Marci

Jude, GLAD to hear your wife is on the successful mend! Hope she is up and around soon! WELL, you
missed a really FUN Rally, but probably for the better, as it was FRIGID COLD (For South Florida
people anyway) with a 44 degree temp, a 10+ wind from the North and a chill factor of about 37
degrees, most of the morning. And YES, I too have become a Disciple of the Temple Of Bacchetta and
plunked down my money for a Bacchetta Aero. I actually enjoyed riding all the bikes and was really
impressed with the Strada and the curved back seat. A REALLY nice ride! The most fun was watching
some of the Bacchetta guys actually eyeing which DF cyclist or cyclists they wanted to chase after
and TOAST. I made the mistake of trying to hang with them and ended up heading for the house with
SPENT / cramping legs. (More on this stuff in my next post on the Bacchetta Rally held today) Hope
you can make it down to CHILLY South Florida soon!!!

EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
My
> > arms are stretched in the same manner on my GRR Ti. The actual ride
(WOW)
> > sensation is something I'll post later; as I need to go rest up for the Bacchetta Rally tomorrow
> > at the LBS. (This will be in about 49 degree weather, with a 10+ mph wind out of the Northwest,
> > with a wind CHILL
> factor
> > of about 43 degrees.) But for now, my 1st. Bacchetta Aero ride
experience
> is
> > LOVE at 1st. ride!!! As for my Master Card. INCOMING CHARGE! RED
ALERT!!!

> > EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, B. Aero
Pilot)

> > (PS: GEEZ, I hope they really didn't snap a picture of me on my knees, groveling and kissing the

What is the list price/street price of the aero? Isn't there a similar cromoly framed bike? What
does that one cost? Alan

Marci, the ONE difference in my toe / feet numbness is the fact that I don't strap my shoes on TIGHT
anymore. In fact my SIDI's are almost flopping around on my feet, when I start out on my ride.
(Don't know if this will work for you or anyone else; but it did the trick for me. EZ Biker :)
Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Marci Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
>

> Hi EZ: Wow, interesting report. That's strange to me that you don't get the toe numbness on the
> aero. I get a bit on the Saber but not enough to make me give up the bike. I find that if I ride
> aggressively on the Sabre I don't get the numb toes, but if I ride leisurely (ie, not pedaling
> constantly) I do some toe numbness. I think this means that my circulation is moving the blood in
> and out of the lower extremities when I am riding aggressively and then when I ride leisurely, it
> doesn't give me adequate circulation. Anyone think this could be so? I sure holds true for me. I
> will be interested to hear if this problem manifests at any time for you down the road. I hope
> not. I sure love my Saber and may try the aero at some time. I just always thought that my toes
> would be numb on it but after reading you review, maybe not. Please keep me informed as to how it

Marci, I don't know that I get any more or less numbness on my Aero vs VRex, depends on the terrain
and/or pace. However my experience is opposite yours, more numbness if riding aggressively (or in
hills). The only time I really notice the BB height is when climbing 10% or greater hills.

Marci Taylor wrote:

> I find that if I ride aggressively on the Sabre I don't get the numb toes, but if I ride
> leisurely (ie, not pedaling constantly) I do some toe numbness. --

real email [email protected]

Alan, you can find out all the bike pricing details at the Bacchetta website: http://www.x-eyed.com/

Re: Isn't there a similar cromoly framed bike?

I believe the Corsa is probably the bike you are referring to. It uses the same component setup
(Including M5 seat) as the Aero. I got to ride this bike at the Rally yesterday (1-19-03) and it's
EXCELLENT!)

EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Alan Mushnick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is the list price/street price of the aero? Isn't there a similar cromoly framed bike? What
> does that one cost? Alan

>I just always thought that my toes would be numb on it but after reading you review, maybe not.
>Please keep me informed as to how it goes with this issue.

I agree, Keep the group informed. I think a lot of folks are thinking about this bike and would like
this question answered. Jim Nordly. TE, Screamer SE
MN.