Bacchetta Giro - Kickstand

Kevin Skazalski

Guest
After a year or two of research, and a few months of test rides, I'm on the verge of buying my first
recumbent.

I'm leaning most heavily towards the Bacchetta Giro.

As is the case with various bents I've considered it has no optional kickstand, nor could my bike
shop owner/mechanic recommend one that was compatible or easily modified for it.

Any one know of a kickstand that'll fit the Bacchetta Giro?

Thanks in advance, Kevin Skazalski

Beware of strangers bearing used soda straws.

Both of our Giros have kickstands, they both came indirectly from Hostel Shop
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/

"Kevin Skazalski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After a year or two of research, and a few months of test rides, I'm on the verge of buying my
> first recumbent.
>
> I'm leaning most heavily towards the Bacchetta Giro.
>
> As is the case with various bents I've considered it has no optional kickstand, nor could my bike
> shop owner/mechanic recommend one that was compatible or easily modified for it.
>
> Any one know of a kickstand that'll fit the Bacchetta Giro?
>
> Thanks in advance, Kevin Skazalski
>
> Beware of strangers bearing used soda straws.

> After a year or two of research, and a few months of test rides, I'm on the verge of buying my
> first recumbent.
>
> I'm leaning most heavily towards the Bacchetta Giro.
>
> As is the case with various bents I've considered it has no optional kickstand, nor could my bike
> shop owner/mechanic recommend one that was compatible or easily modified for it.
>
> Any one know of a kickstand that'll fit the Bacchetta Giro?

As has been mentioned, the HostelShoppe sells the 'Vision Kickstand Gizmo' tha will allow a
Greenfield kickstand to fit on the Bacchetta's. I haven't convinced myself that any kickstand
attached to the rear drop will be truly functional with a rare rack and panniers.

My Giro is the 3rd recumbent that I have owned and the first out of many previous bikes that did not
have a kickstand. I did not think that I could live without a kickstand and I have to admit that I
prefer a good functional kickstand over a bike without. Yet I have manage to live and ride nearly
3200 miles without a kickstand on my Giro. My Giro is my daily commuter. It is parked in a rack at
the office, another rack at the grocery store and has a designated spot against a wall in my garage.
I do find that I can get along without just fine.

I am working on a solution that involves the Midship rack as part of the kickstand structure.
Stay tuned...

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Most of the scuffs on my lwb recumbent (with a zzipper fairing) came from the wind blowing it over
while it was resting on its kickstand. Now I secure the brake with a Velcro strap so the bike won't
move and lean it up against something secure. If there is a safe grassy or otherwise soft place to
lay the bike down (chain side up) I do that.

If you are primarily interested in speed you're not going to want the speed nibbling weight of a
kickstand anyway.

I hope you get the Giro. From what I read they are great bikes.

skip

Thanks to those who replied...

Went and picked up my Giro today. My dealer had modified a Greenfield to fit/work fine on the Giro.

If anyone wants to see a picture of the kickstand/mount, give me a couple of days and contact me
via email.

Only problem I see is a conflict with hooking up my Burley trailer... However, I haven't yet gotten
my "Burley Alternative Hitch" for using on my recumbent. For now I'll tow my twins with my DF.

Thanks again, skitz

Roses are red Violets are blue I'm schizophrenic and so am I

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:13:10 -0400, Kevin Skazalski <[email protected]> wrote:

>After a year or two of research, and a few months of test rides, I'm on the verge of buying my
>first recumbent.
>
>I'm leaning most heavily towards the Bacchetta Giro.
>
>As is the case with various bents I've considered it has no optional kickstand, nor could my bike
>shop owner/mechanic recommend one that was compatible or easily modified for it.
>
>Any one know of a kickstand that'll fit the Bacchetta Giro?
>
>Thanks in advance, Kevin Skazalski
>
>Beware of strangers bearing used soda straws.

Originally posted by Kevin Skazalski
Thanks to those who replied...

Went and picked up my Giro today. My dealer had modified a Greenfield to fit/work fine on the Giro.

If anyone wants to see a picture of the kickstand/mount, give me a couple of days and contact me
via email.

Only problem I see is a conflict with hooking up my Burley trailer... However, I haven't yet gotten
my "Burley Alternative Hitch" for using on my recumbent. For now I'll tow my twins with my DF.

Thanks again, skitz

I would like to see your picture of the modified Greenfield on the Bacchetta Giro.
I have had my Giro for nearly two weeks. Simple cleaning tasks would be so much easier with a lighweight kickstand instead of having the bike roll away from me.. I like the performance, so I wouldn't want the kickstand to detract from the ride. Do you notice it at all?
I appreciate your input.
Please email the snapshot to me at [email protected].
Thanks, O. Pinder