Bacchetta like steering on a Barcroft?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Last spring I test rode a Bacchetta Giro and Barcroft Virginia at a WHIRL ride/picnic in WashDC. The
    are both great bikes! I suppose I liked the look and finish of the Virginia better than the Giro but
    I liked the handling of the Giro better! I think it's the steering setup on the Giro that made the
    difference for me. So now for my question. Has anyone experimented with a Bacchetta like steering
    setup on a Barcroft? I am guessing that it would be a real fine combination.

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. nodiak

    nodiak New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    There's a 4" difference in boom length between the bikes, which causes the same rider to be 4" closer to the steering axis on the Barcroft (17" boom) vs. Bachetta standard size (13" boom). When I put Bacchetta bars on my Barcroft this put my hand position about even with the steering axis and reduced tiller/leverage to nil. Felt much less control that way, no leverage "weight" to help feel the bike steering. Since then have Bacchetta bars on a VRex and it's great with the 13.25" boom and rider positon. But I miss the longer Barcroft wheelbase, so I feel safe in assuming a Giro would fit me very well. So the bikes were designed with their steering systems in mind! I agree about the Barcroft looking better, but I noticed I couldn't see it when I was riding anyway... Don

  3. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    nodiak <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don wrote:

    > There's a 4" difference in boom length between the bikes, which causes the same rider to be 4"
    > closer to the steering axis on the Barcroft (17" boom) vs. Bachetta standard size (13" boom).
    > When I put Bacchetta bars on my Barcroft this put my hand position about even with the steering
    > axis and reduced tiller/leverage to nil

    Don, that makes sense to me. Clearly the difference in handling between the Giro and
    Dakota/Viriginia have at least as much to do with the riders position relative to the steering
    axis. That explains why I felt the Barcroft was twitchier. As for the steering, your description
    clearly defines how the Bacchetta style steering would be too close to the rider on a Barcroft.
    Thanks a lot!

    Jim

  4. chuckezbentride

    chuckezbentride New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2003
    Jim, you get more choices on the Barcroft and do not have be stuck with stock parts. I tried to order a Bacchetta frameset from a local dealer and build with ligher wheels, seat and better componets and the price was close to $3000.00. I worked with Bill Cook with Barcroft and the price was $2600.00. He just developed a new mesh seat that brings the total weight of the bike down to 24.5 pounds. I test rode a bike for a week and think the bike handles great. The Pantour front hub really improves the the handling at high speeds.

    I met you at the Spring WHRIL ride and saw you again at the Sea Gull Century. I had a Rans V-Rex which I sold and still have my Tour Easy. I just ordered a Barcroft Virginia GT and added a fairing for even more speed.

    Chuck
    Rockville, MD
    Tour Easy

  5. Chuck, Come on over to the Eastern Shore and ride with us some Sunday. We usually ride a metric or
    century plus. We also try to ride on Wednesday also.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "chuckezbentride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stratrider wrote:
    > > nodiak <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Don wrote: There's a 4" difference in boom length between the bikes, which causes the same
    > > > rider to be 4" closer to the steering axis on the Barcroft (17" boom) vs. Bachetta standard
    > > > size (13" boom). When I
    put
    > > > Bacchetta bars on my Barcroft this put my hand position about even with the steering axis
    > > > and reduced tiller/leverage to nil
    > > Don, that makes sense to me. Clearly the difference in handling
    between
    > > the Giro and Dakota/Viriginia have at least as much to do with the riders position relative to
    > > the steering axis. That explains why I
    felt
    > > the Barcroft was twitchier. As for the steering, your description clearly defines how the
    > > Bacchetta style steering would be too close to the rider on a Barcroft. Thanks a lot! Jim
    >
    > Jim, you get more choices on the Barcroft and do not have be stuck with stock parts. I tried to
    > order a Bacchetta frameset from a local dealer and build with ligher wheels, seat and better
    > componets and the price was close to $3000.00. I worked with Bill Cook with Barcroft and the price
    > was $2600.00. He just developed a new mesh seat that brings the total weight of the bike down to
    > 24.5 pounds. I test rode a bike for a week and think the bike handles great. The Pantour front hub
    > really improves the the handling at high speeds.
    >
    > I met you at the Spring WHRIL ride and saw you again at the Sea Gull Century. I had a Rans V-Rex
    > which I sold and still have my Tour Easy. I just ordered a Barcroft Virginia GT and added a
    > fairing for even more speed.
    >
    > Chuck Rockville, MD Tour Easy

  6. Chuck, Oh yea! We also try to go over to the Western Shore to ride too. So we could ride with you
    some Sunday.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "chuckezbentride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stratrider wrote:
    > > nodiak <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Don wrote: There's a 4" difference in boom length between the bikes, which causes the same
    > > > rider to be 4" closer to the steering axis on the Barcroft (17" boom) vs. Bachetta standard
    > > > size (13" boom). When I
    put
    > > > Bacchetta bars on my Barcroft this put my hand position about even with the steering axis
    > > > and reduced tiller/leverage to nil
    > > Don, that makes sense to me. Clearly the difference in handling
    between
    > > the Giro and Dakota/Viriginia have at least as much to do with the riders position relative to
    > > the steering axis. That explains why I
    felt
    > > the Barcroft was twitchier. As for the steering, your description clearly defines how the
    > > Bacchetta style steering would be too close to the rider on a Barcroft. Thanks a lot! Jim
    >
    > Jim, you get more choices on the Barcroft and do not have be stuck with stock parts. I tried to
    > order a Bacchetta frameset from a local dealer and build with ligher wheels, seat and better
    > componets and the price was close to $3000.00. I worked with Bill Cook with Barcroft and the price
    > was $2600.00. He just developed a new mesh seat that brings the total weight of the bike down to
    > 24.5 pounds. I test rode a bike for a week and think the bike handles great. The Pantour front hub
    > really improves the the handling at high speeds.
    >
    > I met you at the Spring WHRIL ride and saw you again at the Sea Gull Century. I had a Rans V-Rex
    > which I sold and still have my Tour Easy. I just ordered a Barcroft Virginia GT and added a
    > fairing for even more speed.
    >
    > Chuck Rockville, MD Tour Easy

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    chuckezbentride wrote:
    > ... I worked with Bill Cook with Barcroft and the price was $2600.00. He just developed a new mesh
    > seat that brings the total weight of the bike down to 24.5 pounds....

    Is this the Rotator seat? [1]

    [1] A somewhat obvious choice for reducing weight, since Rotator builds Barcroft framesets.

  8. chuckezbentride

    chuckezbentride New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2003
    Yes, the seat back is slightly altered so it can be layed back more.

  9. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Chuck, I recall meeting you at both events. We met at the SalVal gym in Salisbury if I am not
    mistaken. Thanks for the info about Bill's new seat. Sounds like you have a great bike on the
    way! Enjoy!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA