Bacchetta M5 seat vs mesh seat

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Don, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Can anyone tell me their experience with the Bacchetta M5 fiberglass seat vs the Bacchetta mesh
    seat? The M5 is supposed to be lighter and give a lower effective seat height. How comfortable is
    it? My guess is it is either very comfortable or very uncomfortable depending on how it "hits" the
    riders body parts. I mean different riders would have different experiences. Does the M5 come in
    sizes? Thanks, Don

    Tags:

  2. I have an M5 and had a Trek R200. I hated the RANS tractor/mesh seat.

    I think the main issue is how strong of a rider are you. If you peddle along the bike paths at 10
    MPH, you don't need a stiff seat.

    If you go 18-20 MPH or more, you don't want to waste energy stretching seat mesh.

    "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me their experience with the Bacchetta M5 fiberglass seat vs the Bacchetta mesh
    > seat? The M5 is supposed to be lighter and give a lower effective seat height. How comfortable is
    > it? My guess is it is either very comfortable or very uncomfortable depending on how it "hits" the
    > riders body parts. I mean different riders would have different experiences. Does the M5 come in
    > sizes? Thanks, Don

  3. I have three century+ rides on my Bacchetta AERO with the M5 seat. I also have 3 centuries+ on the
    Bacchetta STRADA mesh seat. I prefer the M5. I also have many past centuries on the RANS seat on
    various models. They are both great seats. My M5 is at 30 degrees and the laid back position is my
    cup of tea. You are correct about the fit varies as to "body styles" and may not be for everyone. I
    suggest that if possible you give it a try. I keep one with Bacchetta hardware on it for those that
    want to compare. There are to the best of my knowledge two sizes, regular and large. The large is
    for taller riders not chubbier ones. I am 5'10" and weigh 185. The regular one fits me fine. My
    competitive riding weight is 170 and my goal for June. The M5 also has a competitive edge
    especially when sprinting and climbing since it is more rigid and energy is less apt to be lost to
    the mesh and foam.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me their experience with the Bacchetta M5 fiberglass seat vs the Bacchetta mesh
    > seat? The M5 is supposed to be lighter and give a lower effective seat height. How comfortable is
    > it? My guess is it is either very comfortable or very uncomfortable depending on how it "hits" the
    > riders body parts. I mean different riders would have different experiences. Does the M5 come in
    > sizes? Thanks, Don

  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Robert and Jude, Thanks for your responses. I see a bunch of threads are totally messed up with
    posts missing. My original post is missing from this thread. If anybody posted to this thread and it
    disappeared, please repost.

    Is the M5 hot? It can get ugly in Sacramento in the summer. Rich Pinto tells me the M5 seet has a
    lower effective height which would be good for me. It is also lighter which never hurts.

    I will try to test ride a medium Giro on Wed. It may be too big for me to test. It would only be a
    test to see if I like the Giro enough to order a small. It will have the mesh seat but other bikes
    in the shop have the M5 seat so I can at least sit in one and see if the curves in it fit the
    curves in me.

  5. Don, If its a bent shop I personally think that its wise to keep an M5 seat with Bacchetta hardware
    handy. My demo is on a small GIRO that is being test ridden by a rather small woman. She wants a
    fiberglass one, which I have on order. I find that the M5 with the open cell foam is not at all hot,
    the foam breathes and seems to wisk away the moisture.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Robert and Jude, Thanks for your responses. I see a bunch of threads are totally messed up with
    > posts missing. My original post is missing from this thread. If anybody posted to this thread and
    > it disappeared, please repost.
    >
    > Is the M5 hot? It can get ugly in Sacramento in the summer. Rich Pinto tells me the M5 seet has a
    > lower effective height which would be good for me. It is also lighter which never hurts.
    >
    > I will try to test ride a medium Giro on Wed. It may be too big for me to test. It would only be a
    > test to see if I like the Giro enough to order a small. It will have the mesh seat but other bikes
    > in the shop have the M5 seat so I can at least sit in one and see if the curves in it fit the
    > curves in me.

  6. Pj

    Pj Guest

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don, If its a bent shop I personally think that its wise to keep an M5 seat with Bacchetta
    > hardware handy. My demo is on a small GIRO that is being test ridden by a rather small woman. She
    > wants a fiberglass one, which I have on order. I find that the M5 with the open cell foam is not
    > at all hot, the foam breathes and seems to wisk away the moisture.

    I think that there is a lot of interest in the M5 seats as upgrades for the Bacchetta bikes, the
    challenge is to find one to purchase. I have been working on purchasing a standard preferably in
    carbon fiber for a few months with no luck.

    Pat Mc

  7. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Guest

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don, If its a bent shop I personally think that its wise to keep an M5 seat with Bacchetta
    > hardware handy. My demo is on a small GIRO that is being test ridden by a rather small woman. She
    > wants a fiberglass one, which I have on order. I find that the M5 with the open cell foam is not
    > at all hot, the foam breathes and seems to wisk away the moisture.
    >
    > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Robert and Jude, Thanks for your responses. I see a bunch of threads are totally messed up with
    > > posts missing. My original post is missing from this thread. If anybody posted to this thread
    > > and it disappeared, please repost.

    Robert: Jude is correct; the M5 seat does come in two sizes. I'm using the larger one @6'3", 220# on
    my Bacchetta Aero. I've got 1625 miles, all down in Palm Springs this winter (back up to Seattle
    now). The open cell foam seems to work well - although I sweat a great deal, it seems to evaporate
    well as there is enough air moving through the open cells that it never gets sticky, even when the
    temp goes up. Of course, I'm not talking about really hot like Sacramento can get in the Summer but
    I'm sure it is the equal of any of the mesh seats because the open cell foam does leave some space.
    Even though the seat is hard and unyielding, it is, nevertheless, comfortable on our rides which
    average about 40 miles, w/ a high of 60.

    > > Is the M5 hot? It can get ugly in Sacramento in the summer. Rich Pinto tells me the M5 seet has
    > > a lower effective height which would be good for me. It is also lighter which never hurts.
    > >
    > > I will try to test ride a medium Giro on Wed. It may be too big for me to test. It would only be
    > > a test to see if I like the Giro enough to order a small. It will have the mesh seat but other
    > > bikes in the shop have the M5 seat so I can at least sit in one and see if the curves in it fit
    > > the curves in me.

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Bob Rogers wrote:

    > Robert: Jude is correct; the M5 seat does come in two sizes. I'm using the larger one @6'3", 220#
    > on my Bacchetta Aero....

    At 220 pounds, the M5 seat must be made from depleted uranium! ;)

  9. Hey Pat, Call me at the 800# tomorrow between 9 and 5 EDST. I might be able to come up with a seat
    for you. I'm closed on Wednesdays. One has to make time ride you know. .

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "PJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Don, If its a bent shop I personally think that its wise to keep an M5
    seat
    > > with Bacchetta hardware handy. My demo is on a small GIRO that is being
    test
    > > ridden by a rather small woman. She wants a fiberglass one, which I have
    on
    > > order. I find that the M5 with the open cell foam is not at all hot, the foam breathes and seems
    > > to wisk away the moisture.
    > >

    > I think that there is a lot of interest in the M5 seats as upgrades for the Bacchetta bikes, the
    > challenge is to find one to purchase. I have been working on purchasing a standard preferably in
    > carbon fiber for a few months with no luck.
    >
    > Pat Mc

  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Guess I am a mesh guy. I rode a medium Giro tonight. It was a stretch because I barely fit on it. It
    had the mesh seat which fit me well and felt comfortable for the short time I rode. The curves in it
    seemed to give me more support than the straight Haluzak seat.

    I also sat on a Bacchetta with a medium M5 seat. It poked me between the shoulder blades and
    scratched me all over. It looked like it would shred clothes. It also did not feel good around my
    legs although I was struggling on a tooooo big bike so my leg seat interaction was probably not
    typical of riding. I can't believe anybody would ride that torture rack and actually consider it an
    upgrade. You guys were funnin me, right?????

    I am not an Indian Swami that can lay on a bed of spikes. I am a very sensitive person. I can feel a
    pea under a mattress and pee on a mattress. :)

  11. Don, First of all I will state again that hardshell seats are not for everyone. It appears that its
    not for you. For those of you that are of the "chair and ottoman" variety the proper positioning of
    the M5 seat is seen on the bike it was made for. The M5 which is the, IMO, the fully reclined
    "LazyBoy" or "Barcolounger" vrs. the "chair and ottoman" I ride mine at 30 degrees, some ride them
    at 25/28 degrees. IMO over 40 degrees creates the "torture rack" effect. As for the pad I find it
    neither abrasive or water retaining unless my Depends leak. I have four centuries and many metrics +
    on this seat and find it FOR ME to be quite comfortable. Yesterdays 75 miler was uneventful except
    for Al's flat tire. However, it aooears the after two sedate century pluses of average speed of 15
    mph its back to the races, sprints and breakaways in the mid 20's and hill bombing and attacking, so
    at the end the 75 felt more like 100.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Guess I am a mesh guy. I rode a medium Giro tonight. It was a stretch because I barely fit on it.
    > It had the mesh seat which fit me well and felt comfortable for the short time I rode. The curves
    > in it seemed to give me more support than the straight Haluzak seat.
    >
    > I also sat on a Bacchetta with a medium M5 seat. It poked me between the shoulder blades and
    > scratched me all over. It looked like it would shred clothes. It also did not feel good around my
    > legs although I was struggling on a tooooo big bike so my leg seat interaction was probably not
    > typical of riding. I can't believe anybody would ride that torture rack and actually consider it
    > an upgrade. You guys were funnin me, right?????
    >
    > I am not an Indian Swami that can lay on a bed of spikes. I am a very sensitive person. I can feel
    > a pea under a mattress and pee on a mattress. :)

  12. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I ride mine at 30 degrees, some ride them at 25/28 degrees. IMO over 40 degrees creates the
    > "torture rack" effect.

    Or 20 degrees (my Optima Baron fully reclined) or ~10 degrees (the T-Bone I last saw George Reynolds
    riding). I tried this bike out and even coming from a lowracer the seat was really laid back.

    > As for the pad I find it neither abrasive or water retaining unless my Depends leak.

    I agree with Jude, a hard shell is very comfortable for long rides if you are reclined. If you are
    sitting up like in a chair then the seat base is much to small especially if you are large (like
    myself). The seat pads really are not abrasive unless you go shirtless. Even then there are seat
    covers available.

    Craig Optima Baron

  13. Don

    Don Guest

    Lighter, faster, and more comfortable:

    Rotator Ti Pursuit

    Len Thunberg

  14. "Don" skrev

    > Probably a moot point because I am broad in the hips and shoulders and I felt like the narrow M5
    > seat was cleaving me in twain. My multiple personalities started arguing over who got to go with
    > who. It is never pretty when that happens.

    HP Velotechnik seat is 25-26 cm wide with a nice groove for your spine. Might be wide enough for the
    two of you. :)

    M.