Bachetta down side

Tom Blum

Guest
My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking for
relief from the constant jarring ride.

Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that stiff
equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??

Inquiring minds want to know????

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

in article [email protected], Tom Blum at [email protected] wrote on
1/11/03 7:54 AM:

[q1]> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking[/q1]
[q1]> for relief from the constant jarring ride.[/q1]

Not me. It's certainly more "sports car" than "luxury car" but I wouldn't call it jarring and I'm
not looking for ways to smooth it out any.

-Carl

Tom, what model might the "Spies" be talking about? I've ridden a metric century + on a Stratus, and
I own a Giro. Neither of them resemble the Model T coparison in the least. The stock seat is very
comfortable, shock absorbent, and there is a bit of passive suspension with the monotube frame. I
don't have any experiance with the Areo or the carbon seated Corsa, but there are very few
recumbents that "Ride like a Model T on Steel rims". There are some, but we'll leave that to the
"Spies to report on. Perhaps observations like these, could explain why the Germans didn't do so
well in WW2 ;-) Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken"

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking[/q1]
[q1]> for relief from the constant jarring ride.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that[/q1]
[q1]> stiff equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Inquiring minds want to know????[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Miles of Smiles,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> www.gate.net/~teblum[/q1]

Tom, Who is the gutless guy trashing Bacchetta?
--
Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "Tom Blum"
[...]

I ride a pretty stock (for now) Strada and it has a great ride. My point of reference is coming from
a V-Rex that had a Pantour hub on the front. The big wheels of the Strada, and I would assume the
Corsa and Aero as well soak up a lot of the bumps and the Giro comes with wider tires. The long
wheel base also helps.....at least for the Strada I wouldn't have any concerns about the ride as it
is probably one of the bike's strengths.

Pat

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking[/q1]
[q1]> for relief from the constant jarring ride.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Compared to what? A DF or a tour easy? What do you want to do on a bike? Ride slow or fast? Have
ultra comfort? The Strada has a pretty comfy seat. I ride the M5 hard shell and have done many
centuries and several double centuries on the bike. Comfort was never an issue. I found the bike to
be just as comfortable as my Easy Racers GRR on long rides but a whole lot faster. The issue might
be the BB height and not being used to the position. There are people like me, who suffered 'bent
but on the low BB bikes and found a solution to this with the more laid back higher BB bikes. I have
noticed that in the 'bent world that many 'benters are overweight and not in to performance. The TE
is a perfect bike for this group. A lot of DF riders will switch to the Strada and be right at home
with it! Sell it and buy a TE but don't bash the bike!

Kevin

I don't have any experiance with the Areo or the carbon seated Corsa, but there are very few
recumbents that "Ride like a Model T on Steel rims". There are some, but we'll leave that to the
"Spies to report on. Perhaps observations like these, could explain why the Germans didn't do so
well in WW2 ;-) Hence my post. The info I came across was the first negatives other than "SHORT LEGS
NEED NOT APPLY". Just seeing if the true believers agreed at all.

Thanks,

Tom

"Sell it and buy a TE but don't bash the bike!"

Sheesh!! don't be so thin skinned. I just asked about a comment I recieved from a third party.

It would appear that the faithful do not agree.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

"Tom Blum" skrev...
[q1]> "Sell it and buy a TE but don't bash the bike!"[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sheesh!! don't be so thin skinned. I just asked about a comment I recieved from a third party.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It would appear that the faithful do not agree.[/q1]

I think the faithful not only disagree, they are also out gathering wood for a little bonfire and
you're the guest of honor. ;o)

M.

in article [email protected], Tom Blum at [email protected] wrote on
1/11/03 12:23 PM:

[q1]> I don't have any experiance with the Areo or the carbon seated Corsa, but there are very few[/q1]
[q1]> recumbents that "Ride like a Model T on Steel rims". There are some, but we'll leave that to the[/q1]
[q1]> "Spies to report on. Perhaps observations like these, could explain why the Germans didn't do so[/q1]
[q1]> well in WW2 ;-) Hence my post. The info I came across was the first negatives other than "SHORT[/q1]
[q1]> LEGS NEED NOT APPLY". Just seeing if the true believers agreed at all.[/q1]

I should have mentioned that I've got the Aero carbon seat on my Strada now, making it similar to
the stock Corsa. It's still nowhere near "Model T on steel rims" at all. Perhaps the report came
from somebody used to some ultra-cushy fully suspended ride, so it just seemed rough by comparison.
Even with the carbon seat and hard & skinny Grand Prix 3000 (650x20) tires it's far more comfortable
than my hybrid. I would think anything that rides "like a Model T on steel rims" would be
practically unrideable.

-Carl

My Ti Rush with 451/700c Stelvio's at 120 psi front 140 psi rear rides nicely but a lot of folks
would consider the ride on the harsh side. However, I am very comfortable with it on paved roads
including chipseal. The Pantour front hub definitely helps take the edge off the washboard stretches
of road ... but ... Pantour does NOT convert the bike to a cushy suspended ride like my old dual
suspension BikeE FX.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "DrRecumbnt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> No model T's or steel wheeled slugs here. However, I think the Bacchetta's rides get firmer the[/q1]
[q1]> higher up the line.[/q1]
[q1]> rode the Giro -- Strada -- and Corsa in this order one day last October[/q1]
and
[q1]> each one's ride felt progessively firmer. This should be expected as the[/q1]
tires
[q1]> get skinnier and with the Corsa's euro seat.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> There is always a price to pay for a cushy (suspended) ride. Look at the weights on most of the[/q1]
[q1]> full suspension recumbents. Perhaps a Ti LWB with[/q1]
fatter
[q1]> tires might have an acceptable (performance) weight and comfy ride. Bob Bryant[/q1]
[q1]> http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com[/q1]

No model T's or steel wheeled slugs here. However, I think the Bacchetta's rides get firmer the
higher up the line. I rode the Giro -- Strada -- and Corsa in this order one day last October and
each one's ride felt progessively firmer. This should be expected as the tires get skinnier and with
the Corsa's euro seat.

There is always a price to pay for a cushy (suspended) ride. Look at the weights on most of the full
suspension recumbents. Perhaps a Ti LWB with fatter tires might have an acceptable (performance)
weight and comfy ride. Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

No model T's or steel wheeled slugs here. However, I think the Bacchetta's rides get firmer the
higher up the line. I rode the Giro -- Strada -- and Corsa in this order one day last October and
each one's ride felt progessively firmer. This should be expected as the tires get skinnier and with
the Corsa's euro seat.

There is always a price to pay for a cushy (suspended) ride. Look at the weights on most of the full
suspension recumbents. Perhaps a Ti LWB with fatter tires might have an acceptable (performance)
weight and comfy ride. Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking
> for relief from the constant jarring ride.
I have this patch of road that is uncomfortable on my Vision R44, 1999. On my Aero 2002, the ride is
somtimes rough but the 6 miles are over much quicker. I have 7 centuries since November and I am
satified with the comfort. Could the Aero be more comfortable? Yes! I could switch to the Strada
seat and be slower. I only have so much time to ride 100 miles and I could make it on the Strada but
not on the Vision due to speed/time. I like the speed with no additional training. If the Federal
Govt would leave the time on daylight savings, I would not gain the 10 pounds since December plus my
15.5 MPH would be 16.1 like November when I could train outside rather than inside.

> Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that
> stiff equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??

> Tom Blum
I would say that the Strada and the Vision (with front shock) are about the same as far as comfort
goes and the Vision is a dream compared to my old Trek 1200 ($700). The Aero ($4000) is comfortable
on good roads and rough on rough roads. My Trek used to beat me up and I required a day to recover
plus my eye doctor told me to be careful on the Trek due to my detached retnia history. I switched
to a Vision recumbent.

I have this 1/2 miles patch that is rough in a car at 5 MPH. I have tried to stay off the road but
it is a short cut - my average went from 15.8 to 15.5 MPH on that road in 1/2 of a mile.

How much would I pay for a speed neutral comfort to my Aero? $100 if I had to ride the
short cut road.

Gerald Muffoletto Aero 2002 with Tailbox (15.6 average MPH per Century) Vision 1999 (13.5 average
MPH per Century)

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking
> for relief from the constant jarring ride.
I have this patch of road that is uncomfortable on my Vision R44, 1999. On my Aero 2002, the ride is
somtimes rough but the 6 miles are over much quicker. I have 7 centuries since November and I am
satified with the comfort. Could the Aero be more comfortable? Yes! I could switch to the Strada
seat and be slower. I only have so much time to ride 100 miles and I could make it on the Strada but
not on the Vision due to speed/time. I like the speed with no additional training. If the Federal
Govt would leave the time on daylight savings, I would not gain the 10 pounds since December plus my
15.5 MPH would be 16.1 like November when I could train outside rather than inside.

> Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that
> stiff equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??

> Tom Blum
I would say that the Strada and the Vision (with front shock) are about the same as far as comfort
goes and the Vision is a dream compared to my old Trek 1200 ($700). The Aero ($4000) is comfortable
on good roads and rough on rough roads. My Trek used to beat me up and I required a day to recover
plus my eye doctor told me to be careful on the Trek due to my detached retnia history. I switched
to a Vision recumbent.

I have this 1/2 miles patch that is rough in a car at 5 MPH. I have tried to stay off the road but
it is a short cut - my average went from 15.8 to 15.5 MPH on that road in 1/2 of a mile.

How much would I pay for a speed neutral comfort to my Aero? $100 if I had to ride the
short cut road.

Gerald Muffoletto Aero 2002 with Tailbox (15.6 average MPH per Century) Vision 1999 (13.5 average
MPH per Century)

I own a Strada ride is much better that the DF road machine that I had before. No complaints from me
it's a very comfortable bike.

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking
> for relief from the constant jarring ride.
>
> Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that
> stiff equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??
>
> Inquiring minds want to know????
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

I own a Strada ride is much better that the DF road machine that I had before. No complaints from me
it's a very comfortable bike.

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My spies tell me that the Bachetta rides like a model T with steel wheels. "Everyone" is looking
> for relief from the constant jarring ride.
>
> Could this be true? Das Wunder alte-rider (sorry, my German fails me) It stands to reason that
> stiff equates to harsh ride. Could it be that bad??
>
> Inquiring minds want to know????
>

> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
>
> www.gate.net/~teblum

> If the Federal Govt would leave the time on daylight savings, I would not gain the 10 pounds
> since December plus my 15.5 MPH would be 16.1 like November when I could train outside rather
> than inside.

It would help if they canceled Christmas too. I think the Holidays account for more of my extra lbs.
than riding in the dark. I'm still managing 110-120
mi/week (all outside).

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> If the Federal Govt would leave the time on daylight savings, I would not gain the 10 pounds
> since December plus my 15.5 MPH would be 16.1 like November when I could train outside rather
> than inside.

It would help if they canceled Christmas too. I think the Holidays account for more of my extra lbs.
than riding in the dark. I'm still managing 110-120
mi/week (all outside).

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Tom Blum
> Hence my post. The info I came across was the first negatives other than "SHORT LEGS NEED NOT
> APPLY". Just seeing if the true believers agreed at all.
>
> Thanks,

Aha! I should have suspected things have been TOO quiet of late on the Newsgroup. Careful, we
Bacchettites are a small but loyal tribe. Much akin to the RANSrunners. Some of us straddle the
fence between the cultures (in comfort of course). I should have suspected a short legged person
would try to incite us, Randy Newman is Right! Gawd I wish it would warm up enough to ride...26
degrees today and windy Denny in Sayre, Pa Bacchetta Giro, 97 RANS Vrex, Ez-1 "Bent but not Broken"
www.recumbentstuff.com