back cog

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Arlene, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Arlene

    Arlene Guest

    I have a ig 11 - 30 t, 7 speed back cog. Is it possible to put on a11 - 34 t Shimano HG50 back cog?
    Will switch to a SRAM chain as I have an ig chain on now. What problems could I experience, or
    should this work just fine? This is for a touring bike.

    My front chainring largest is a 48. Thank you. Email: [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Arlene wrote:

    > I have a ig 11 - 30 t, 7 speed back cog. Is it possible to put on a11 - 34 t Shimano HG50 back
    > cog? Will switch to a SRAM chain as I have an ig chain on now. What problems could I experience,
    > or should this work just fine? This is for a touring bike.

    I had to read your message a couple of times--in the courier font my newsreader uses, it looked like
    you were asking for an "all - 34" setup!

    This will work just dandy, as long as your rear derailer is a long cage (SGS) model, which it most
    likely is. If not, derailers are cheap...

    The chain will need to be longer than the original one.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#7

    By the way, what you want is a "cassette", consisting of 7 "cogs."

    Sheldon "My Sister Is Named Arlene Too" Brown
    | Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has | seen and thinking what no one else has
    | thought. |
    | - Albert Szent-Gyorgi |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. And I thought my 12-34 7 sp. was wide range! :-3)