back cog

Arlene

Guest
I have a ig 11 - 30 t, 7 speed back cog. Is it possible to put on a11 - 34 t Shimano HG50 back cog?
Will switch to a SRAM chain as I have an ig chain on now. What problems could I experience, or
should this work just fine? This is for a touring bike.

My front chainring largest is a 48. Thank you. Email: [email protected]

Arlene wrote:

> I have a ig 11 - 30 t, 7 speed back cog. Is it possible to put on a11 - 34 t Shimano HG50 back
> cog? Will switch to a SRAM chain as I have an ig chain on now. What problems could I experience,
> or should this work just fine? This is for a touring bike.

I had to read your message a couple of times--in the courier font my newsreader uses, it looked like
you were asking for an "all - 34" setup!

This will work just dandy, as long as your rear derailer is a long cage (SGS) model, which it most
likely is. If not, derailers are cheap...

The chain will need to be longer than the original one.

See also http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#7

By the way, what you want is a "cassette", consisting of 7 "cogs."

Sheldon "My Sister Is Named Arlene Too" Brown
| Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has | seen and thinking what no one else has
| thought. |
| - Albert Szent-Gyorgi |
+-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

And I thought my 12-34 7 sp. was wide range! :-3)