Back cycling again - tyre recommendations, please?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Byron Jenkins, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm hoping to get back on my Audax after a couple of years of abstinence, and I think I should
    replace the tyres as they are quite old and look worn.

    I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have 23mm Conti Supersports on but would like
    something a little more comfy, with good grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.

    What make/type/width would the group recommend?

    Thanks,

    Byron

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Byron Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm hoping to get back on my Audax after a couple of years of abstinence, and I think I should
    > replace the tyres as they are quite old and look
    worn.

    > I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    > suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have
    23mm
    > Conti Supersports on but would like something a little more comfy, with
    good
    > grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.
    >
    > What make/type/width would the group recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Byron

    Michelin, don't even think about anything else !

    Graham

  3. Rob Campbell

    Rob Campbell Guest

    Conti 4 season seem to be just like GatorSkin but are folders. I find the Gators hard to take on and
    off the rim. The 4 season is lighter and easier to handle.

    Rob

  4. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Rob Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Conti 4 season seem to be just like GatorSkin but are folders. I find the Gators hard to take on
    > and off the rim. The 4 season is lighter and easier to handle.

    So it should be at double the price !!

    Regards Simon

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Byron Jenkins wrote:
    > I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    > suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have 23mm Conti Supersports on but would like
    > something a little more comfy, with good grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.
    >
    > What make/type/width would the group recommend?

    Do you fancy treating yourself to a high performance racing tyre that happens to be comfortable and
    just about practical enough for normal road cycling? ...Vittoria should pay me for this :) .....

    Vittoria Open Corsa 23. It's noticeably wider than most other 23's at actually ~24 to ~24.5mm,
    yet comfortably inflates up to 130psi. The volume and the supple (and strong) 290tpi casing
    makes it feel a lot softer than that. It's probably the fastest tyre of its type, and grip is
    superb. It's a lightweight folding tyre, but not silly-light (ie. not toooo thin). However, it
    costs about £18 (mail order), will get a few punctures, will eventually get too cut up from
    glass before it wears out so won't last many thousands of miles. To make up for this, it's an
    easy fit on the rim so puncture repairs are never a big hassle.

    If you need something more practical and cheap, a mid/low-price 25mm tyre should do - perhaps
    Michelin Performer or Schwalbe Blizzard. Both are well made with plenty of rubber - but they won't
    perform anything like as well as the OC's.

    ~PB

  6. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "Byron Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm hoping to get back on my Audax after a couple of years of abstinence, and I think I should
    > replace the tyres as they are quite old and look worn.
    >
    > I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    > suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have 23mm Conti Supersports on but would like
    > something a little more comfy, with good grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.
    >
    > What make/type/width would the group recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Byron

    Hi

    Conti Gatorskin 25mm Cheap (£13 from my LBS), roll well, good grip, puncture protection. What more
    could you ask?

    I wouldn't put a Michelin tyre on my bike if you paid me - Utter c**p

    Howard

  7. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    Byron Jenkins <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    > What make/type/width would the group recommend?
    My tyre usage depends on season/conditions:

    Summer - Michelin Axial Pro, 700x25 (I've yet to try the new Race Pros) Winter - Conti Ultra
    GatorSkin 700x28 Any riding which involves overly shitty conditions - Top Touring 2000, 700x32

    Both of my Audax bikes have 28mm GatorSkins fitted at the moment. For rides over 200km I tend
    towards wider tyres, although the Axial Pros performed very well on a 400 I rode a while back.
    Go figure.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  8. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Byron Jenkins <[email protected]> said:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm hoping to get back on my Audax after a couple of years of abstinence, and I think I should
    > replace the tyres as they are quite old and look worn.
    >
    > I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    > suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have 23mm Conti Supersports on but would like
    > something a little more comfy, with good grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.

    I'm very happy with my Michelin World Tours (700x28) which were cheap from the LBS (£18 for both)
    and cope well with road use including (so far) loose grit, mud, potholes, snow and ice. I frequently
    ride the stretch of NCN 14 between Durham and Consett which runs on an abandoned railtrack and they
    do OK there as well.

    I've only had one puncture yet with these tyres too.

    When summer comes around again I will probably put slimmer, completely slick tyres on for fun value,
    and get used to mending punctures again.

    Regards,

    -david

  9. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Byron Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm hoping to get back on my Audax after a couple of years of
    abstinence,
    > > and I think I should replace the tyres as they are quite old and look
    worn.

    > > I am now very unfit and want to build up my distance & stamina so I need recommendations for
    > > suitable tyres for training. At the moment, I have
    23mm
    > > Conti Supersports on but would like something a little more comfy, with
    good
    > > grip but low rolling resistance, if that's possible.
    > >
    > > What make/type/width would the group recommend?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Byron
    >

    > Hi
    >
    > Conti Gatorskin 25mm Cheap (£13 from my LBS), roll well, good grip, puncture protection. What more
    > could you ask?
    >
    > I wouldn't put a Michelin tyre on my bike if you paid me - Utter c**p
    >
    > Howard

    Just as well Michelin don't pay you then ! I suspect if a tyre company paid me I would use their
    tyres, and if a bike company paid me to ride their bike I would do that as well.

    Graham

  10. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Just as well Michelin don't pay you then ! I suspect if a tyre company paid me I would use
    > their tyres, and if a bike company paid me to ride their bike I would do that as well.
    >
    > Graham

    Your choice. I'll go my own way thanks. The last three Michelin tyres I bought all had to be
    returned with manufacturing faults. Their quality control is terrible. Never had a problem
    with Conti's.

    Howard