back exercises

ignition

Jun 7, 2003
when training on my bike, my back and top of my shulders start to hurt after 2- 2.30 hours.

This is not unbearable and I have found weight training on my shoulders has helped.

Can anyone recommend any good back strengthening exercises or is time in the saddle the best.

I'm training for my first half ironman so obviously want to be in as best shape as I can for the run after an anticipated 3 - 3,30 hour bike ride.

Cheers

ignition wrote:
>
> when training on my bike, my back and top of my shulders start to hurt after 2- 2.30 hours.
>
> This is not unbearable and I have found weight training on my shoulders has helped.
>
> Can anyone recommend any good back strengthening exercises or is time in the saddle the best.

Saddle time is the best, provided your back/shoulder endurance continues to improve as you put in
more saddle time.

Consider also fit issues, such as bringing the bars a little closer to you.

Weight training is also good - I weight train as my main form of exercise now (I don't compete in
triathlons but I do swim, bike, and run, several times each, every week). Classics would be
pullups/chinups and rows. I'd go with a fairly narrow (shouler width or not much wider) grip on
pullups and chinups because it's closer to how you're positioned on the bike. There are a million
row variations and they're all good - pick one or two to work on. Deadlifts work just about every
muscle you've got and squats also provide work in stabilizing the spine.

-S- NCSA-CPT, RKC, swim and lifeguard instructor, http://www.kbnj.com, and BMOC.

> I'm training for my first half ironman so obviously want to be in as best shape as I can for the
> run after an anticipated 3 - 3,30 hour bike ride.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any posts you make in this
> forum will be propogated to usenet.

Have you had your bike fitted? It could be that your reach is a bit off...Could also be
handbar width.

I try to remember to always drop my shoulders during rides - you see a lot of people riding around
with their shoulders up by their ears.

As far as back exercises, one you can do is stand with feet shoulder width apart and take a light
dumbbell and place in front your left foot. Bend down with your right hand, bending your knees
slightly and bring it up to your right hip (crossing the body). Do it with lightweight (be careful)
and high reps 12-15. reverse and repeat.

You will feel it.

- R Endurance Online http://www.enduranceonline.com

ignition <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> when training on my bike, my back and top of my shulders start to hurt after 2- 2.30 hours.
>
> This is not unbearable and I have found weight training on my shoulders has helped.
>
> Can anyone recommend any good back strengthening exercises or is time in the saddle the best.
>
> I'm training for my first half ironman so obviously want to be in as best shape as I can for the
> run after an anticipated 3 - 3,30 hour bike ride.
>
> Cheers

Oddly the best way to fix a bad back is to work out the front of your body. I have the worst
flexibility of almost anyone I know and in just 6 sessions of Pilates (yeah yeah it's the latest
buzzword I know) I am feeling longer and more supple. Not what triathletes are normally accustomed
to (hardly elevates the heart rate like a brick) but it will help. One way or another best of luck
in your half endeavours.

Kent