Back from the dead (tired, and a tire question)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Harker, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Paul Harker

    Paul Harker Guest

    Hello,

    I was a rather active rider for a few years, but then illness put me off the
    bike for nearly a decade. So now I want to get my old road bike back into
    shape, so I can get a bit back into shape.

    The tires are of course weary from age. They are 700 x 23c Michelins. I was
    curious as to what sort of difference I could expect from a 25c vs a 23, as
    the butt is much more tender these days. Also, at this point I don't want to
    invest a whole lot. Seems like Nashbar has tires from 9.95 and up. Any good
    way to know what the difference is, besides the price?

    A trip to the local bike shop shows that my BioPace chainrings are a thing
    of the past. For now I think I'll stick with them as I don't ever recall
    them bothering me.

    Thanks..

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Paul Harker wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I was a rather active rider for a few years, but then illness put me off
    > the bike for nearly a decade. So now I want to get my old road bike back
    > into shape, so I can get a bit back into shape.
    > The tires are of course weary from age. They are 700 x 23c Michelins. I
    > was curious as to what sort of difference I could expect from a 25c vs a
    > 23, as the butt is much more tender these days. Also, at this point I
    > don't want to invest a whole lot. Seems like Nashbar has tires from 9.95
    > and up. Any good way to know what the difference is, besides the price?
    > A trip to the local bike shop shows that my BioPace chainrings are a
    > thing of the past. For now I think I'll stick with them as I don't ever
    > recall them bothering me.
    > Thanks..
    > Paul

    25s are a good way to start, if they clear frame/fork/brakes. A little
    more cushion and a little more weight. Rolling resistance and grip vary
    considerably, but if you are casually riding (not racing for money) take
    the cheap route to start. All bicycle tires wear out relatively
    quickly.... compared to car tires of today.

    --

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Paul Harker wrote:

    > I was a rather active rider for a few years, but then illness put me off the
    > bike for nearly a decade. So now I want to get my old road bike back into
    > shape, so I can get a bit back into shape.

    Good for you, welcome back.

    > The tires are of course weary from age. They are 700 x 23c Michelins. I was
    > curious as to what sort of difference I could expect from a 25c vs a 23, as
    > the butt is much more tender these days.

    A 25mm tire will last longer, corner better, handle rough pavement
    better, pinch flat less often, and provide more cushioning than a
    23mm tire -- with essentially the same rolling resistance. 23mm is
    the current fashion in road tires, no more.

    > Also, at this point I don't want to
    > invest a whole lot. Seems like Nashbar has tires from 9.95 and up. Any good
    > way to know what the difference is, besides the price?

    The best 25mm tire I've found for the price is the Avocet Carbon 12.
    It's long lasting, lightweight, has good wet traction, and doesn't
    cost a fortune. Harris Cyclery carries them:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html

    Don't bother with the folding feature or kevlar belt, they just add
    cost.

  4. baltobernie

    baltobernie Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Paul Harker wrote:
    >
    > > I was a rather active rider for a few years, but then illness put me off

    the
    > > bike for nearly a decade. So now I want to get my old road bike back

    into
    > > shape, so I can get a bit back into shape.

    > Good for you, welcome back.
    >
    > > The tires are of course weary from age. They are 700 x 23c Michelins. I

    was
    > > curious as to what sort of difference I could expect from a 25c vs a 23,

    as
    > > the butt is much more tender these days.

    If you've been out for a while, your saddle can probably use upgrading as
    well. The new anatomic ones are great.

    bernie

  5. Paul Harker

    Paul Harker Guest

    Thanks to all who wrote. I've some "Hutchinson Excel Blue" 25c's on the way.
    Seemed like agood tire for the price, especially given my needs. (Not gonna
    wear 'em out too quick with my current 5-10 mile days).