Back in the car. GRRRRRR!

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I've cycled most of my life, and I'm known as a "mad keen" (not my words) cyclist, but I've never commuted to work on a bike. A friend was complaining loudly about the price of fuel, getting stuck in traffic jams... you know the drill.

So I said "Why don't you cycle to work?"

"Do you?" he asked :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Er... no..." [very sheepish]

Why?

I started giving him all the excuses that other people give me when I try and get them to cycle. ...it's too: wet, hot, cold, dangerous, sweaty, stinky..... I need the car for work (which is true, I'm on the road a fair bit during the day)... anyway, I made up my mind to start commuting on my bike.

The first two weeks it poured every day and I only managed to cycle two days of each week. But since then I've cycled to work every day... and I love it! I arrive at work feeling great, unstressed, unsweaty (it's mid winter here at the mo'... must get a shower installed before summer)... a quick stop for a double espresso and I bounce into the office (drives my hung-over staff nuts) all reved up for the days work.....

UNTIL TODAY :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had to drive in today. I'd forgotten how stressful it was. Not to mention the amount of time it takes, sitting in a line of cars (WATCHING A BLOODY CYCLIST BREEZE BY), time seem to draaaaag... I get to work 30-40 mins quicker by bike. I nearly had a fight with a taxi driver who tried to cut me off and we scowled at each other all through the red lights. AND EVERY BLOODY LIGHT WAS RED!!! I arrived at work a mess.

I'm sitting here POUNDING the keyboard to vent my frustration....

I feel better now :)

Thanks for listening.

Going shopping for my commuter Friday afternoon... hope to be commuting via bike to work by next week. :D

Nice story dom...

Hopefully this fuel crisis might trickle down into more government spending on bike lanes/trails as well.

Powerful Pete said:
Do you actually believe that?
I believe that if more people start bicycle commuting... then there will be more political pressure to listen to and accomodate them. Especially if the bike commuters around the world get some kind of public respect for doing the right thing in a fuel/energy shortage.

But it is slow... like you say... for people to change habits... even when they can. If more stories like dom's though get passed around on the grapevine at workplaces, then it might start a domino effect (excuse the pun). There's always a lag though... even if something does happen.

Crankyfeet said:
I believe that if more people start bicycle commuting... then there will be more political pressure to listen to and accomodate them. Especially if the bike commuters around the world get some kind of public respect for doing the right thing in an fuel/energy shortage.

But it is slow... like you say... for people to change habits... even when they can. If more stories like dom's though get passed around on the grapevine at workplaces, then it might start a domino effect. There's always a lag though... even if something does happen.

In some ways it is already happening around our parts. Last year the city of Seattle passed a complete streets ordinance and my husband told me he heard that the state house has passed a bill that also includes a complete streets sectionWhat that means is that any time the state receives federal funding for road projects a portion of that money must be used to create facilities for cyclists and pedestrians as well.

Powerful Pete said:
Going shopping for my commuter Friday afternoon... hope to be commuting via bike to work by next week. :D

Are you serious? If you are GOOD ONE! What are you going to get. I ride the modified Langster in my sig... but now I have a great excuse to look for another bike :D :D :D

I don't know why I didn't commuted before... I used to try and squeeze a ride in before work and it was usually a rush to shower, change, grab a bite to eat, rush, rush, rush... then sit in a barely moving car for the best part of an hour... gnashing my teeth at other motorists... now I get to work in under 20 mins.

The only downside is a thin streak of grit up my back on wet mornings... Fender??? NAH! Wearing a bit of the road is a cyclists "stripes"... well earned!

::dom:: said:
Are you serious? If you are GOOD ONE! What are you going to get. I ride the modified Langster in my sig... but now I have a great excuse to look for another bike :D :D :D
Yes I am. Sold my perfectly good second car and the cash goes to my new commuting bike. I am only at longlist stage, but here goes for bikes currently being considered:

Bianchi Camaleonte
FRW Condorino (photo attached - your classic city bike, fenders, chain guard and all)
FRW Pacific Heights (modified road bike, photo attached)
Specialized Langster New York
Kona Smoke 2-9
Kona Jake the Snake
Trek Soho S

Ergo, I really have no idea at this moment. My LBS is a Bianchi/FRW/Trek dealer (amongst others) so probably one of those three will win out. Purchasing a Kona will require a trip across town which I do not look forward to, but I will see what kind of interest the Rome dealer has in convincing me to part with my hard-earned cash. The Specialized is just kind of there...

I should go for a sensible bike, fenders and all, but it is only a 5km commute one-way on decent streets...

Powerful Pete said:
Yes I am. Sold my perfectly good second car and the cash goes to my new commuting bike. I am only at longlist stage, but here goes for bikes currently being considered:

Bianchi Camaleonte
FRW Condorino (photo attached - your classic city bike, fenders, chain guard and all)
FRW Pacific Heights (modified road bike, photo attached)
Specialized Langster New York
Kona Smoke 2-9
Kona Jake the Snake
Trek Soho S

Ergo, I really have no idea at this moment. My LBS is a Bianchi/FRW/Trek dealer (amongst others) so probably one of those three will win out. Purchasing a Kona will require a trip across town which I do not look forward to, but I will see what kind of interest the Rome dealer has in convincing me to part with my hard-earned cash. The Specialized is just kind of there...

I should go for a sensible bike, fenders and all, but it is only a 5km commute one-way on decent streets...

The Bianchi looks good... they all look good (except maybe the Trek... nothing wrong with it... just doesn't appeal to me). If you're only going to use it for commuting I'd go for a single speed. If you gonna use it for other stuff (touring long weekend rides) I'd get a geared bike.

The Langster (I like the London) gets a bad rep but at least Specialized are not afraid to do something a little off the wall.

The first two weeks it poured every day and I only managed to cycle two days of each week. But since then I've cycled to work every day... and I love it! I arrive at work feeling great, unstressed, unsweaty (it's mid winter here at the mo'... must get a shower installed before summer)... a quick stop for a double espresso and I bounce into the office (drives my hung-over staff nuts) all reved up for the days work.....

UNTIL TODAY :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had to drive in today.
You missed telling us why you had to drive in today.

TheDarkLord said:
You missed telling us why you had to drive in today.
3 meetings, checking proofs at printers and lunch with a client, all in different parts of town.

3 meetings, checking proofs at printers and lunch with a client, all in different parts of town.
If your work involves frequent meetings, then I would imagine that you would have to drive more often?

TheDarkLord said:
If your work involves frequent meetings, then I would imagine that you would have to drive more often?
I try and arrange most meetings at my office. If this is not possible I do them in one day so I can ride to work the other days. It's not perfect but it's been working OK.

Thanks. I am currently leaning towards the Jake the Snake... only cyclocross bike I can find which would enable me to mount a rack (allow for short family trips as well as lugging work stuff around when necessary).

I like the potential flexibility here - a real cyclocross bike (of course I will probably swap out the ugly Shimano stuff eventually) which I could use for trails/light 'mtb-like' riding that my family already enjoys, etc.

I am pretty good about cleaning/maintenance and the commute would be on good quality city roads (5km one way) so it is not like I really need an SS or something like that...

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Powerful Pete said:
Thanks. I am currently leaning towards the Jake the Snake... only cyclocross bike I can find which would enable me to mount a rack (allow for short family trips as well as lugging work stuff around when necessary).

I like the potential flexibility here - a real cyclocross bike (of course I will probably swap out the ugly Shimano stuff eventually) which I could use for trails/light 'mtb-like' riding that my family already enjoys, etc.

I am pretty good about cleaning/maintenance and the commute would be on good quality city roads (5km one way) so it is not like I really need an SS or something like that...

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Powerful Pete... you BASTID!!!! :p <--- meant in the nicest possible way. You started me looking at new bikes.... like I need another bike!!!!!

So, I thought I'd just check on eBay to see if there were any Langsters, Pista Concepts or the like floating around.... and what happens??? I see a Langster London my size in Australia... auction ending in one hour (last night)... ridden once, back from bike shop (according to the seller)... pick up COD only...

To cut a long story short... it gets picked up next week.... I won the auction. :)

.... Like I said .... BASTID!!!!! :p :)

I'm gonna have so much fun :D :D :D :D

Here's a pretty good review
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/langster-17497

Have you looked at the Specialized Tricross? I saw one converted to flat bar... somewhere on these forums... it looked quite cool... not sure about bosses for racks though.

Dom, congratulations on your new purchase!

The Langster does have rack bosses. Now I will have to go check out the Tricross and see what another local bike shop is willing to offer price-wise.

But something tells me I will settle for the Kona. Something about that blue color and old school graphics...

Ok, now a local shop is proposing a Specialized Tricross Sport for about 150 Euro less than the Kona. Any ideas or comments boys and girls? It appears to be similar, and for the type of riding I do not care what group it is set up with. The cash difference could probably cover a rack and panniers, which is the entire reason I am engaging in this purchase...

I like the look of the Specialized, by the way...

Powerful Pete said:
Ok, now a local shop is proposing a Specialized Tricross Sport for about 150 Euro less than the Kona. Any ideas or comments boys and girls? It appears to be similar, and for the type of riding I do not care what group it is set up with. The cash difference could probably cover a rack and panniers, which is the entire reason I am engaging in this purchase...

I like the look of the Specialized, by the way...
The Kona has a better group, 105 vs the Tricross's Tiagra FSA, LX mix. This would explain the price difference. They are not offering you the same level at a lower price. If you want a better group the Knoa is your bike. If you're not worried about the group and need extas ... Tricross.... I like the look of the Tricross BTW... are you looking at the black/blue or black/grey?... my 2¢.

Yes, I noted the group difference, although I do not believe it would actually make that much of a difference. I notice that my wife's Bianchi Camaleonte set up with more or less full Tiagra is still going strong and has had no trouble at all in several years of (admittedly light) riding.

I quite like the look of the Tricross. Off to the shop for some 'high level discussions'...

Here are two pics off of the Bikeradar commuting forum that give you an idea of exactly the kind of setup I am looking for...

Although I really like the old-school paint job on the Kona...

Powerful Pete said:
Yes, I noted the group difference, although I do not believe it would actually make that much of a difference. I notice that my wife's Bianchi Camaleonte set up with more or less full Tiagra is still going strong and has had no trouble at all in several years of (admittedly light) riding.

I quite like the look of the Tricross. Off to the shop for some 'high level discussions'...

Here are two pics off of the Bikeradar commuting forum that give you an idea of exactly the kind of setup I am looking for...

Although I really like the old-school paint job on the Kona...

Nothing wrong with Tiagra... or Sora for that matter. I had a Cannondale Ironman (in name only) with a Tiagra group... great bike.... bombproof. And my wife has the new(ish) 9 speed Sora on her road bike. I was surprised how good it was... a little loud and clunky but great for the use it gets.

Good luck with the negotiations.