General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Back in the saddle but need advice

Started by Sandy · · Last activity · 5 posts · 956 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 January 2004
Last activity
6 January 2004
Original author
Sandy
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
956
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I used to be really into walking and had previously lost 60 lbs due to consistent walking and
    healthy eating. Then I stopped (personal reasons of school/relationships/work/etc...) and
    regained the weight and then some. I am now at an all time high of 230lbs and am trying to get
    back into shape.

    Only problem is that my body isn't the same as it used to be and I don't know how to tackle these
    new problems.

    1. Shin splints and knee aches. Can anyone recommend some good stretches for me to follow prior to
    working out that could help with these? The only stretches that I know (and that used to be fine
    for me) are the ones I learned in High School, and even they are somewhat modified since there is
    no way I can grab my toes right now.

    2. Foot pain. I get these painful spasms on the bottom of my foot about 30 min. into my workout. It
    feels like a cramp and I can generally work them out afterwords but how do you keep them from
    happening in the first place?

    Any help would be appreciated. *Please no suggestions for powders, diet plans, shakes, etc... As
    with any life-long dieter, I know the ins and outs of nutrition and have that base pretty much
    covered. It's just all about will-power now.

  2. "Sandy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used to be really into walking and had previously lost 60 lbs due to consistent walking and
    healthy eating. Then I stopped (personal reasons of school/relationships/work/etc...) and
    regained the weight and then some. I am now at an all time high of 230lbs and am trying to get
    back into shape.

    Only problem is that my body isn't the same as it used to be and I don't know how to tackle these
    new problems.

    1. Shin splints and knee aches. Can anyone recommend some good stretches for me to follow prior to
    working out that could help with these? The only stretches that I know (and that used to be
    fine for me) are the ones I learned in High School, and even they are somewhat modified since
    there is no way I can grab my toes right now.

    2. Foot pain. I get these painful spasms on the bottom of my foot about 30 min. into my workout.
    It feels like a cramp and I can generally work them out afterwords but how do you keep them
    from happening in the first place?

    Any help would be appreciated. *Please no suggestions for powders, diet plans, shakes, etc... As
    with any life-long dieter, I know the ins and outs of nutrition and have that base pretty much
    covered. It's just all about will-power now.

    Start slow, and build up the routine as time passes. Sounds like you are pushing it.

    Good luck, and stay with it!

  3. "Sandy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used to be really into walking and had previously lost 60 lbs due to consistent walking and
    healthy eating. Then I stopped (personal reasons of school/relationships/work/etc...) and
    regained the weight and then some. I am now at an all time high of 230lbs and am trying to get
    back into shape.

    Only problem is that my body isn't the same as it used to be and I don't know how to tackle these
    new problems.

    1. Shin splints and knee aches. Can anyone recommend some good stretches for me to follow prior to
    working out that could help with these? The only stretches that I know (and that used to be
    fine for me) are the ones I learned in High School, and even they are somewhat modified since
    there is no way I can grab my toes right now.

    2. Foot pain. I get these painful spasms on the bottom of my foot about 30 min. into my workout.
    It feels like a cramp and I can generally work them out afterwords but how do you keep them
    from happening in the first place?

    Any help would be appreciated. *Please no suggestions for powders, diet plans, shakes, etc... As
    with any life-long dieter, I know the ins and outs of nutrition and have that base pretty much
    covered. It's just all about will-power now.

    Congratulations on getting back into regular exercise.

    Try searching on www.runnersworld.com for information on shin splints. They're geared toward runners
    but have good information for walkers, too.

    Muscle spasms are often a result of vitamin deficiencies. Here's an article on this subject.
    mothernature.com141.cfm Make sure you stay hydrated
    during the walk.

    Make sure your shoes are in good condition and are providing adequate support. The wrong shoes can
    cause many problems. Just take is easy, continue stretching and you should be able to increase your
    time and distance.

    Beverly

  4. Sandy,

    I too lost about this much and since I am 48 year old male I was not a spring chicken. Maybe this
    will help, these are just my personal experiences on what I went through.

    1) Subscribe to Runners World magazine. Well worth the money and gives not only advise but also
    motivation to runners. Walking is similar to running, only slower (duh). There website has areas
    for runners, of course, but it also has pages for newcomers, walkers, and even women I believe.

    2) Shin splints are a sign of over doing it. Back off, rest, they usually go away if that is what it
    really is. Look to walk on soft surfaces. When I got
    S.S. I went to run and walk around on the very edge of a local high school football field. The
    field was one of those modern ones with extra cushioning. Has rubber pellets under the fake
    turf I think. It was pure heaven to run on. Walking would be good too. It may also help your
    knees. When your shins hurt you probably walk differently and that may be why your knees hurt.
    It will go up your body and your hips and lower back my be next. Hows your neck feel?

    3) Get good shoes with extra cushion. Even slap a cushion insole in for extra protection. Modern
    running shoes are amazingly well built. I prefer Asics but there are others. The Beast by Brooks
    is a shoe with extra cushion. As you loose more weight it will relieve the stress on your legs
    but dont push it. Shoes generally wear out after about 300 miles if you talk to the shoe people
    but i think they last longer. But for $100 or less you can get a nice comfy pair.

    4) Take it slow and enjoy yourself. When I started my goal was to walk for 45 min at a brisk pace to
    elevate my heart rate, going around a local track (my kids had soccer). I rested two days in
    between each walk. Within three weeks I was jogging laps. This was two years and 55 pounds ago. I
    lost 20 pounds in six weeks and the rest within the first year.

    Although I am a serious runner now (15-20 miles a week) I still walk 5 miles a week, it keeps my
    joints loose.

    You sound motivated.. keep at it... its well worth it for what ever reason you do it. Feel free to
    write me if you wish.

    Jim

    "Sandy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used to be really into walking and had previously lost 60 lbs due to consistent walking and
    healthy eating. Then I stopped (personal reasons of school/relationships/work/etc...) and
    regained the weight and then some. I am now at an all time high of 230lbs and am trying to get
    back into shape.

    Only problem is that my body isn't the same as it used to be and I don't know how to tackle these
    new problems.

    1. Shin splints and knee aches. Can anyone recommend some good stretches for me to follow prior to
    working out that could help with these? The only stretches that I know (and that used to be
    fine for me) are the ones I learned in High School, and even they are somewhat modified since
    there is no way I can grab my toes right now.

    2. Foot pain. I get these painful spasms on the bottom of my foot about 30 min. into my workout.
    It feels like a cramp and I can generally work them out afterwords but how do you keep them
    from happening in the first place?

    Any help would be appreciated. *Please no suggestions for powders, diet plans, shakes, etc... As
    with any life-long dieter, I know the ins and outs of nutrition and have that base pretty much
    covered. It's just all about will-power now.

  5. Thanks for all the great advice. I'll definately look into buying some new shoes as I had no idea
    they needed to be replaced after a certain time. I always just thought you wore them until they
    started to fall apart. <g>

    I use inserts already (the gel kind) b/c of a bad experience with plantar fascilitis. I've never had
    foot problems until my weight got really out of control and a week-long summer job standing on
    concrete turned into 6 months of anti-inflammatory recovery time. I sound so old, lol, talking about
    all these aches and pains.

    I currently don't do anything but walk at a brisk pace, but I believe that one poster got it right
    when they suggested that the way I walk might also be to blame for some of my aches and pains. I
    recently found that if I utilize my butt muscles and swing out more from my hip in a smooth almost
    rolling motion, I experience hardly any aches...versus exaggerating my steps and landing with a
    definitive "thud."

    I hope to continue discussion with some of you in future weeks.

    Sandy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.