Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Back in the saddle: Over-training and fatigue.

Started by Westie · · Last activity · 2 posts · 973 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
26 April 2003
Last activity
26 April 2003
Original author
Westie
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
973
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've just got back on the bike after 5 weeks off. I had to heal after my appendix was taken out.
    I've noticed that rather than being completely out of shape, I feel like I'm doing better than I was
    right before the operation. Cleaning the climbs better and with less fatigue. Bouncing over the
    obstacles. Leaping tall buildings. I was doing quite a bit of riding before the operation. While not
    exactly training for a big 110km Fun Ride/Race, I was taking it semi-seriously and doing a build-up
    in a semi-serious sort of way. The week before the ride week I seem to recall doing a couple or
    three rides totalling about 160km with a few good climbs so I was, for me, in better than average
    shape. I usually ride half that distance or less in a average week. Question is, was I doing too
    much then and that's why I feel better now? Why would I feel like I'm doing it better after a 5 week
    enforced break? Anyone have similar experiences or ideas?
    --
    Westie

  2. Westie said:

    I've just got back on the bike after 5 weeks off. I had to heal after my appendix was taken out.
    I've noticed that rather than being completely out of shape, I feel like I'm doing better than I
    was right before the operation. Cleaning the climbs better and with less fatigue. Bouncing over the
    obstacles. Leaping tall buildings. I was doing quite a bit of riding before the operation. While
    not exactly training for a big 110km Fun Ride/Race, I was taking it semi-seriously and doing a
    build-up in a semi-serious sort of way. The week before the ride week I seem to recall doing a
    couple or three rides totalling about 160km with a few good climbs so I was, for me, in better than
    average shape. I usually ride half that distance or less in a average week. Question is, was I
    doing too much then and that's why I feel better now? Why would I feel like I'm doing it better
    after a 5 week enforced break? Anyone have similar experiences or ideas?

    It would be pretty much impossible to retain "peak" performance after a five week layoff. Just a
    couple weeks and the fitness level ebbs dramatically (IIRC, Greg LeMond claimed that he wouldn't be
    able to hang in the pack after a two week layoff, much less kick everyone's ass).

    It's likely you were fatigued before the operation - that will certainly put serious limits on your
    performance no matter what kind of shape you're in. After such a long layoff, your muscles have
    totally topped off their glycogen stores, and are ready for a good deal of abuse before they're
    spent - it's common to feel great for the first ride or two "back".

    But to me the biggest advantage of taking a few weeks off (I recently took off about 3 weeks with an
    achilles tendon strain) is how much FUN it is to get back on the bike - that makes all the
    difference, even if you aren't really going faster (I certainly wasn't).

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.