Back in the saddle: Over-training and fatigue.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    I've just got back on the bike after 5 weeks off. I had to heal after my appendix was taken out.
    I've noticed that rather than being completely out of shape, I feel like I'm doing better than I was
    right before the operation. Cleaning the climbs better and with less fatigue. Bouncing over the
    obstacles. Leaping tall buildings. I was doing quite a bit of riding before the operation. While not
    exactly training for a big 110km Fun Ride/Race, I was taking it semi-seriously and doing a build-up
    in a semi-serious sort of way. The week before the ride week I seem to recall doing a couple or
    three rides totalling about 160km with a few good climbs so I was, for me, in better than average
    shape. I usually ride half that distance or less in a average week. Question is, was I doing too
    much then and that's why I feel better now? Why would I feel like I'm doing it better after a 5 week
    enforced break? Anyone have similar experiences or ideas?
    --
    Westie

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've just got back on the bike after 5 weeks off. I had to heal after my appendix was taken out.
    >I've noticed that rather than being completely out of shape, I feel like I'm doing better than I
    >was right before the operation. Cleaning the climbs better and with less fatigue. Bouncing over the
    >obstacles. Leaping tall buildings. I was doing quite a bit of riding before the operation. While
    >not exactly training for a big 110km Fun Ride/Race, I was taking it semi-seriously and doing a
    >build-up in a semi-serious sort of way. The week before the ride week I seem to recall doing a
    >couple or three rides totalling about 160km with a few good climbs so I was, for me, in better than
    >average shape. I usually ride half that distance or less in a average week. Question is, was I
    >doing too much then and that's why I feel better now? Why would I feel like I'm doing it better
    >after a 5 week enforced break? Anyone have similar experiences or ideas?

    It would be pretty much impossible to retain "peak" performance after a five week layoff. Just a
    couple weeks and the fitness level ebbs dramatically (IIRC, Greg LeMond claimed that he wouldn't be
    able to hang in the pack after a two week layoff, much less kick everyone's ass).

    It's likely you were fatigued before the operation - that will certainly put serious limits on your
    performance no matter what kind of shape you're in. After such a long layoff, your muscles have
    totally topped off their glycogen stores, and are ready for a good deal of abuse before they're
    spent - it's common to feel great for the first ride or two "back".

    But to me the biggest advantage of taking a few weeks off (I recently took off about 3 weeks with an
    achilles tendon strain) is how much FUN it is to get back on the bike - that makes all the
    difference, even if you aren't really going faster (I certainly wasn't).